Killing A Deer Today, What’s Your Plan For The Meat?

Lawdwaz

If you kill in these daytime temperatures, what’s your plan of action, especially if you process your own?  

The hide needs to come off ASAP at a minimum.  Then of course it should be in the shade or in a cool barn/garage. 

Who has a cooler?

Gut it, walk up to house and plug in deer fridge, get tractor.  Drive back and load carcass in bucket, cut hoofs off with loppers, skin (very easy when fresh killed), cut head off and leave on hide if doe.  Cut hind quarters off and hang from hooks on top of fridge,  rest front section on neck on bottom of fridge.

Leave in there for 3 days if 6 month old deer (my favorites), 1 week if 1.5 year old, 10 days if older.  Process, grind, freeze.  The grind from the first deer every year goes in zip lock bags, and the rest get vacuum sealed.  

The only problem with this quick cool method, is that the bottom of the deer fridge gets to be a bloody mess to clean, after the carcass comes out.   Hanging the skinned carcass overnight, if it is cool enough, with a catch bucket underneath, helps cut down on the mess.

Our garage has stayed remarkably cooler then outside temps lately . I’d put it in there , our basement freezer is set at minus 5, there’s 4 frozen 1 gallon containers of water and several 2 quart ones in it .

Id stuff a few in the buck , it would be fine for the few hours until my processor opens .

40 some odd years or so of killing deer , this ain’t the first hot weather I’ve killed them in . No worries at all .

I gotta kill one first!!!!
Then I'll figure out what to do next!
One step at a time. No sense putting the cart before the horse!
Agreed. At this point seeing one in general would be an improvement

#ThankYouForLessOverzealousModding #WeDemandUnlimitedLikes
#WeDemandADislikeButton

My plan is as follows....

Shoot a deer by 10am

Out of the woods deer hung up in the garage by noon

Breakfast/lunch by 12:30.

Skin and quarter deer at 3pm

Drink beer and be happy for the rest of the night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well this failed miserably. Maybe tomorrow....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1