Lucky118

Stopped putting out cameras

I only use a few cams to see whats out there, they dont help me hunt at all. I cant imagine how many Id have to run to pattern a deer and going in and out checking them seem like a bad move 

• Like 1

I find a duck's opinion of me is very much influenced by whether or not I have bread

-Mitch Hedberg

I don't think I could stop now. They are like preseason crack.  I only pull them once before season but it's like Xmas day.  

• Like 2

I do it more to see what it out there as well. Most of my favorite pics are not of deer, but other wildlife. I don't have cell cams and set my cams in areas that are near entrance/egress routes for less disturbance. That being said, I will do a quick scan at the cam location and may adjust where I sit based upon what the cam reports. 

2 hours ago, Lucky118 said:

Any one else stop putting out cameras and shoot bigger deer now? 

You do better now that you’ve stopped putting out trail cams ?? Really , why do you think , the disturbance factor  maybe ?

I have always killed big deer bowhunting. Even in the pre camera era.

However cameras make me way more efficient and if any anything I am now killing bigger bucks with less time on the stand, and my avg sit is way better quality hunt then before.

So my answer is no..

• Like 2

Cameras are one tool in the collective tool belt. If you always try to use a screwdriver when you need a hammer, it's going to be a pretty shoddy build. That said, purposefully not bringing a screwdriver to a build-site gets you to the same problem.

I like to screw and bang when I need to. So my answer is also no.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Trial153 said:

I have always killed big deer bowhunting. Even in the pre camera era.

However cameras make me way more efficient and if any anything I am now killing bigger bucks with less time on the stand, and my avg sit is way better quality hunt then before.

So my answer is no..

Yes , that’s what I figured . I can’t imagine that Trail cam usage would actually lower your success rate- unless maybe you’re going in and checking everyday and disturbing the shit outta the deer ! I figure if you have a piece of property well scouted from years of hunting it , their utility may diminish some , but , It still would be nice to know what you got out there , right ?

Yes , that’s what I figured . I can’t imagine that Trail cam usage would actually lower your success rate- unless maybe you’re going in and checking everyday and disturbing the shit outta the deer ! I figure if you have a piece of property well scouted from years of hunting it , their utility may diminish some , but , It still would be nice to know what you got out there , right ?
Especially in eastern NY, this isnt the mid west where good ground will always hold mature bucks.
There will be years that you may hot have anything better then a 2 or 3 year old deer hitting a property.

On years like that I might not even hunt a property that hasn't shown that it a shooter buck on it.
Trail cams let me focus on the properties that I know they are there. The days of going in blind for me and wasting prime hunting are cut down substantially since reliable trail cams
  • Like 1

I leave mine up year round on my property .... I like keeping an eye on the Deer population and whomever thinks they can just trespass without being seen !

Answer to No One !

I just keep my cams out In hopes of getting a Bigfoot on one of them.:jester:

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Northcountryman said:

You do better now that you’ve stopped putting out trail cams ?? Really , why do you think , the disturbance factor  maybe ?

Or just dum luck lol 3 biggest deer I've  ever killed were on yrs i didn't  get out to put up cameras lol

I have one that I leave up.  I won't check it till May 1st.  It gives me an idea of what happens after deer season.

Edited by RangerClay

Got my toes in my boots, ass in the stand

Not a care in the world, got my bow in my hand

Life is good today, life is good today!

I would never stop using cams. I enjoy using them too much. Interesting to see what’s going on out there and lurking around! Cool to see what (and how many) bucks are around and possibly watching them grow from year to year too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice." - Wease