Any old timer's want to help a young buck out?

Caveman

I'm 23 and having serious doubts about my chosen career path.  Anyone 45+ (I know you're not technically an old-timer but by now you should be able to contribute to this) want to share: 

1) What you do for a living;

2) How you got into it;

3) If given the chance, would you do it again? Or would you pursue something else?

I'm just curious how many people out there are happy with the decisions they made at my age. 

I think very few people truly "love" their jobs, and what I mean by that is would you do it for free or a greatly reduced paycheck? For example, racecar driver, playboy photographer, outdoor guide etc.

I do not love my job, I barely even like it. But it challenges me enough to keep it interesting and provides enough of a paycheck to support the things I do love in life (hobbies and family). I think as long as you don't dread going to work (of course nobody wants to go to work) and you're not overly stressed and the job is taking a toll on your health and family then most jobs are just that. Jobs.

I'd qualify all my dribble with the fact that i'm not 45+ haha.

• Like 2

Im only 34 but i got into accounting with only a 2 year,degree. Glorified bookeeping but its been good to me and pays the bills. Workin my way toward my cpa now. Slooooowly as i got kids and a wife and like enjoying life rather than killin myself.

Would do it again because ive always managed to find steady work even when the economy was horrible.

Wildcat, first I qualify as an old timer as I will be sixty in Dec. I did plumbing and heating. I did OK and have no regrets. I was offered an office job in computers when I was young as both my friend and brother worked with them but I couldn't work in an office. You have to go with your talents and inclinations. My brother who was a big shot in computers could barely change a light bulb so working with his hands was not an option. My best advice is to do something you don't mind doing. Are you talented with trade work like plumbing carpentry or electrical? Or do you see yourself more as an executive type? It also depends on your geographic area. In the city and LI a reliable man with a truck can do OK just doing handyman work like painting and minor repairs. In farm country I think they take care of that stuff themselves. Whatever you choose you will probably need to take some classes. BOCES and VEEB offer night classes in trades. Colleges also have night classes for Paralegal or Real Estate license. Hope this helps and good luck.

• Like 2

Kudos to you for thinking about it.

Not 45, but I can assure you, I went through a similar thing at your age. Make the right decision. It's usually the hard one with the longest period before the greatest payback of all your options that you are considering (getting a return on your effort).

I hold an M.S./MBA and enjoy my job - but I don't love it, as noted, that's common. I turned down exclusive roles in the hunting industry because they simply didn't pay enough. Not a fun choice, but had to make that call. I'd be in my glory right now thinking and working in a deer hunting world, but I wouldn't have two nickles to rub together, and I'd be stuck in Georgia.

Very few people love their job and make the money they want - I think it's one of the biggest successes a person can have professionally. Most people either opt for money or love of the career path.

I'd also avoid saturated fields. If you have any technical or mathematical inclination...jump on it.

Edited by phade

Well I am not an old timer (36)but I sure feel like it. I started my career in Retail, sales, then Management. By 33 I was burned out. I switched my career path to more hands on. I now work for Time Warner Cable as a Broadband technician(install/service tech). It pays less than what I was making but I love the work and I get to see my family everyday. Benefits are good and the company is stable. You need to figure out not only what you are good at but what you like to do. The money is not as important as the quality of life. Making a ton of money but not having the time to enjoy it just makes a person miserable. I have less money now but I do so much more my quality of life is great.

I would first decide what my goals where for the lifestyle that would satisfy me. Location, family, housing, vehicles, recreation, retirement goals etc. Then find something I believe I can tolerate doing for 30 to 40 years and COMMIT to it 150%.

I did none of the above and am finding being 62 more of a struggle than I would have thought with wishing I could have a mulligan.

I would ask you this first... do you have a college degree or any college? Not that I'm saying you need college to be successful, just asking as it will be easier to suggest career paths. Also, do not forget about a trade: plumber, electrician, etc. Money to be made here.

There is some great advise on here and you are smart to be thinking about it. One thing that may seem like a long, long way away is retirement.  Think about it hard now, plan for it in any way you can. I see so many people retiring in their early 50's because they worked at a state job for 25 or more years. Who know's if that will be there 25 years from now, but something to look into. Saving for it is always your best move.

I'm 23 and having serious doubts about my chosen career path.  Anyone 45+ (I know you're not technically an old-timer but by now you should be able to contribute to this) want to share: 

1) What you do for a living;

2) How you got into it;

3) If given the chance, would you do it again? Or would you pursue something else?

I'm just curious how many people out there are happy with the decisions they made at my age. 

what career path have you chosen?

1) Middle school Technology Teacher (shop teacher)

2) Was an apprentice cabinet maker and someone said I would be a good teacher.

3) Yes and no.  I used to really enjoy my job.  I've done it for 23 years.  It was fun to work with inner city kids and build neat projects together and give them a meaningful education.  Unfortunately the NYC Dems have stripped us of funding and Emperor Andy's new reg's for teachers has made our schools a joke.  The pointless extra testing that means absolutely nothing wastes the students and my time.  DO NOT get into public education!!!

Man, at 23 I had just gotten out of the Navy. Didn't care what I was doing as long as it wasn't in the Navy. Tried a few different jobs, maintenance in a plastics mfr, setup - installer, anybody remember primestar? grounds keeping, worked for a furniture store, hated that job. Then I landed a tech support job in my late 30's. Good company, good boss, took roots to it and was able to better care for my family. So yeah I would do that again. But those were my reasons and the timing around it, not yours. 

The advice I would offer you at your age; keep your eyes and skills open to possibilities, and learn to live on 70-80% of your net income.

Well I guess I just slid into the old timer pool. 48. I have been in the construction industry for 26 years. Started in the trades and worked my way up and into management. I used to live the business but our govt and ever increasing regulation has really taken the fun of building out if it.

Most likely even if you find a career you live now it will change down the road. So many outside influences on us and our markets. Find one you can tolerate. Can make a good buck and offers advancement and will give you time to do the things you love outside of work. After all most of us work to live. Not live to work.

And from now to the day you retire, outside of any retirement or short term savings or investments. Take 5-10% of your check and tuck it away. Always always always.

What are you into right now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

1) Middle school Technology Teacher (shop teacher)

2) Was an apprentice cabinet maker and someone said I would be a good teacher.

3) Yes and no. I used to really enjoy my job. I've done it for 23 years. It was fun to work with inner city kids and build neat projects together and give them a meaningful education. Unfortunately the NYC Dems have stripped us of funding and Emperor Andy's new reg's for teachers has made our schools a joke. The pointless extra testing that means absolutely nothing wastes the students and my time. DO NOT get into public education!!!

Thank you for teaching the next generation.

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

I know i don't have the experience of most here, being that i'm only 22, but i got a job making double what i was making while in high school/college..thought i was a rich man, so i bought a few man toys (truck, wheeler, guns, etc...)....not so rich!!   I make enough to pay the bills and i have a pretty good amount of money in my 401k, but i don't have much money to "play" with after the bills are paid.....anyways, what i'm trying to say is LIVE WITHIN YOUR MEANS no matter what ya do

I was in the "Trades" all my life -HVAC-  and also the Military (Reserve's) which I retired from .   My father always told me - learn a trade and you'll never starve , he was right ! Would I do it again ...probably but I would finish college if for no other reason than to say I finished it !

I think these day's your better off with a trade.  College is nothing but big business at it's finest.  I know three good buddies that i work with that make the same as i do, but owe thousands on top of thousands in loans.  Maybe it will benefit them in the future, but i wouldn't gamble with our economy, trades will always have jobs.  Plus you can be a functioning idiot and make it into college and then have enough "help" to get you a 4.0....our school system is a joke...I had a part-time job as a tutor for a JUCO school and i was told that i had to try and help the student understand whatever concept was being talked about at the point, but that i also had to make sure the work was done...i am quoting a state university educator here, "make sure they get the correct answer, if you know what i mean"....meaning if they are to dumb/lazy to get the answer, do it for them...if ya couldn't tell, i'm not a huge fan on college...that is unless you have the money, then by all means go and enjoy

Edited by PSEcopenhagenHUNTER

I'll tell ya...I have done many different things in life and don't regret that with the exception of retirement funds...the best advise ....with the limited info.....  the guys have given you is...don't live beyond your means...and yes money is important and great...but when working to have THINGS over shadows LIVING life...your bound to have a long sad time on earth..

At your age  you should be able to work and pursue other options as well....IE..Our son 28yrs old...went to MCC for HVAC...got a job at Circuit City at the time and as long as his grades were good they payed tuition...Wegmans I think has a good program...Well they ended up teaching him install and then made him a manager...he  later decided HVAC wasn't for him after 2 yrs and went into Construction...Now he still works Construction but is starting his own business doing lawns... installing side walks ...digging drainage...property work...but starting slowly and small....

All this has given him several things to fall back on...but what ever it is you attempt...do the very best you can at it...for when you do  opportunities unexpected will open up for you...Good Luck

• Like 1

It is a very good sign you are really thinking about this. As others asked above; what have you done so far after High School, as in training, school or jobs?

Without more info I can only give you the following advice:

1. Whatever you choose to do, do it well, take pride in your work and always look for what other responsibilities you can ask for. This alone is so rare in workers these days it is astounding.

2. Start putting away money right from the start. Tuck at least 10% away in an IRA or something.

Having trade skills no matter if you want to work in the industry is always good anyway. Having to hire people to fix every little thing around your yard, house and vehicles can get costly and gives you something to always fall back on.

Edited by Fletch