Lost my dog...My best friend

ApexerER

Well I lost my 12 year old golden retriever Zimba to cancer on Friday. He would have been 13 on March 4th. I am struggling something awful with this to the point where I am thinking something is wrong with me. I have lost family members that haven't bothered me 1/10th as much. I feel like a part of me died with him. He was with me every second of the day. From the time my feet hit the floor in the morning  until I went to bed. He used to sleep at foot of the bed but he hadn't been able to jump up on it for about a year so I would have to be careful not to step on him when I got up because he slept as close to me as he could get.  Even taking a shower he would stick his head in and check on me and then lay there until I was done. This started a long time ago because if I closed him out of the bathroom he would scratch on the door. As I am at my work typing this he should be laying under my desk on my feet keeping them warm. There is no escape because he was always right there with me. I was 28 when I got him at a rough time in my life and he has been there with me ever since. I shut the door to my office today and told everyone I don't want to be bothered. First day at work without him and I don't want to answer any questions. Even on his last day he gave me the gift of dying in his sleep without a whimper knowing that I would never be able to make the tough decision that lay ahead. Hopefully time really does heal all wounds because this is the largest one I have ever dealt with.

• Like 2

Sorry to hear that, I lost my 13 year old begal two days before this last Christmass, the same way went to sleep and not even a wimper. from him at the side of the bed and his Sister 12 years old the same way 2 years ago. I know what you are going threw Just hang in there.   

There is not many things that hurt more than losing a beloved dog. I feel your pain for losing your best buddy,Zimba. I lost my buddy Sam a couple of years ago. I have been blessed to have had a few real good dogs in my lifetime. But far and away Sam was the best. I still think of him every day and have his picture above my desk. Time will help ApexerER,but you'll just never forget a best dog.

A good dog, you will never forget, and it can hurt a very long time from its loss.

My dad still misses his hunting dog that broke loose and got hit by a car back while was in high school.  My grandfather couldn't catch her in time and had to tell my dad about it when he got off the bus.

I still sometime think about the mutt that we had from when was in 5th grade through most of college.  She was mainly my dog.  She got old, blind, and other health issues while I was at college.  I had my parents put her down instead of letting suffer for 3 more weeks until I came home for Christmas break.  The memory of it is still almost bring tears to my eyes.

We miss my b-in-law's lab mix too.  Mischievous puppy, but turned into a good dog.  Saved my son from falling off a set of steps that was missing a guard rail.  Dinner was just finished cooking, table was being set, football game on the TV, everyone has getting ready to go the table, and my son slipped by and crawled up the steps. The dog went from half-asleep to sprinting across the room and blocking him from falling off the edge.

It does get better with time, hang in there.

I have owned hunting dogs ever since I was a young boy and I currently have 3 beagles. I have gone through your pain and depression each and every time that I lost a dog or had to have one put to sleep. Yes- you will miss him and the good times you had with him. But when you are feeling low, just think of the wonderful life that you gave him and think of how many dogs out there are not as fortunate. My advice to you is simple. As soon as you get over the initial pain, please go out and get another dog and give that dog a wonderful life too. Think of all of the poor dogs out there who never enjoyed the good life you gave your dog, and give that same gift of a wonderful life to another dog. You will not regret it. Your dog lived to the human life equivalent of 91 yrs. of age and you could not ask for more. Go and give another dog that love and friendship.

• Like 1

My advice to you is simple. As soon as you get over the initial pain, please go out and get another dog and give that dog a wonderful life too. Think of all of the poor dogs out there who never enjoyed the good life you gave your dog, and give that same gift of a wonderful life to another dog. You will not regret it. Your dog lived to the human life equivalent of 91 yrs. of age and you could not ask for more. Go and give another dog that love and friendship.

I lost my retriever last May and for the follow months I would have disagreed with this comment. I felt like I would be replacing her which I knew could never be done. As time pasted and it got easier, my thoughts changed from the pain of losing her to how incredible it was to have her. For the both of us. So in October I went and got myself a little lab puppy. She's six months old today and I love her to death. I'll never forget my last dog but its great making memories with my new one.

Best of luck, I know how tough it can be.

Im very sorry. I lost my buddy "Rudy" (chocolate Lab) a while back. He was 13 and was under my heels, constantly, from the time he was a pup until his last day. I and a lot of people here know the feeling, but it will get a little better each day.  

• Like 1

So sorry for the loss of your pup. I lost a dog when I was in my 20's but it did not affect me much, maybe because she lived with my parents until she had to be put down and I was married and out of the house for several years already.

I am so attached to my pooch now who is 3 yo. I know My wife and I are going to ball for days when he passes because we are so attached to each other. They do become part of your life even when it becomes a pain to have to take them out in a foot of snow and when its 2 degrees out. I hope it gets easier for you to deal with his passing.