Do you hunt in the rain and how did it work out for you

LJC

Depends on how rainy and the forcast. A light rain is fine and I see good deer movement. Any downpour or steady rain I completely avoid in bow season due to comfort, low chance of movement and poor tracking ability. I have stillhunted gun in some steady rain as cover to get to bedding areas, not sucessfully though and not overly fun!

A light rain is fine . I think the deer sense that hunter's don't want to get wet and they leave their bedding area to eat . When I first started bow hunting around 1994 , I would pack up and leave when it started to rain . A few times I noticed deer feeding out in fields as I drove down the road . Never got a shot when it was raining but I saw deer movement from my stand . 

Sat in a deluge on  one gun opener at camp...with my new 243 in hand...shot a 6 pt buck..first rifle deer....Strange weather..snow on the ground...rained hard then started snowing again...what a mess!

Last years 8 pt I shot in an early morning snow/rain ..but I was in my new blind then...I've gotten smart over the years...shooting houses and enclosed blinds for wet weather...

• Like 1

I try to get out there as much as I have the opportunity too. Weather can be bummer but I try to make the best of it. If it's a pretty hard steady rain I'm all for sitting in my ground blinds to keep dry. Light rain and drizzle I will just toss on my camo frog toggs and tough it out on stand.

Severe cold I'm also in the ground blind. I need to get another buddy heater this year but even without it, the blind traps in quite a bit of heat from your body and at least keeps the wind chill off you.

All in all I just go with the flow and use equipment to help make it easier to be out there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A light rain or drizzle makes for excellent still-hunting as it tends to wash your scent to the ground and also covers small noises that you might make. Staying dry is a matter of selecting good gear. Overall, I'll take damp and soggy over a forest floor covered in crunchy cornflake leaves any day.

• Like 3

I love still hunting in the rain with a gun. It's great for masking noise and reducing scent. I would love to do the same with bow, but I won't take the chance of possible losing a blood trail if I happen to put an arrow in one. It can be hard enough tracking a wounded animal let alone one that has it's blood trail washed away by a good rain. Plus, wooden arrow don't take kindly to getting soaked.

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, stoneam2006 said:

As long as it's not pouring I'm out. I like a gentle rain with it dripping on leaves covering my sound and scent. Days like that I leave stand at home and try some spot and stalk...works great during gun someday I'll stick one too

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

If it is lightly drizzling this Saturday I think I will do this. I don't have a ground blind or really even a good spot for one, and sitting in a stand getting rained on sounds very unfun. I'd at least like to walk a bit.

• Like 1

Yrs ago one thanksgiving day weekend it had rained steady for a couple days, that Saturday am it was still pouring so I put on my waders and rain coat and headed out. I sat against a tree dry as a bone. I ended up taking a big doe that morning.

Truth be told I hate sitting in the rain,

My days off during gun season are going to get hunted regardless of weather. Sorry to be redundant but camo umbrella was some of the best $ ever spent. I'll screw into the tree above my head in ladder stand and cradle the gun in my lap with backpack under my seat. A corner of zip loc bag from venison jerky I brought or piece of electrical tape has been over  the bore end of my ML on many occasions. So high and dry I am. Have sat many days in drizzle to full out down pour. Have killed deer in the drizzle but never in a deluge. But again , can't kill them sitting on the couch by staying home. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, turkeyfeathers said:

My days off during gun season are going to get hunted regardless of weather. Sorry to be redundant but camo umbrella was some of the best $ ever spent. I'll screw into the tree above my head in ladder stand and cradle the gun in my lap with backpack under my seat. A corner of zip loc bag from venison jerky I brought or piece of electrical tape has been over  the bore end of my ML on many occasions. So high and dry I am. Have sat many days in drizzle to full out down pour. Have killed deer in the drizzle but never in a deluge. But again , can't kill them sitting on the couch by staying home. 

Lot of times when it rains I drive out to my spot wait in the vehicle  and see if it stops I really don't like getting my guns or bows wet  or walking in slippery mud  then  i think to my self if i shoot one i have to deal with processing dragging a deer out In that weather just don't seem like a good time to me unless I don't have the time to hunt other days I avoid rain . 

If you wear glasses, hunting in the rain can be an issue if sitting in a tree stand. Convinced deer maintain their daily feeding rituals with only a few exceptions; super hot temps, blizzard or high winds. On those days I have the TV remote in my hand!

Edited by nyslowhand