I will miss her

bigpaul

It is a sad day for me.  My sweet 2005 Chevy Silverado's health has not been good of late.  She has had cancer for a while and the bed has just been falling apart, the roof is the only panel with no rust.  She won't pass her emissions test, her brakes are worn, her ball joints are whipped.  I barely made it home from work today with an ailing transmission, but I made it, she has never stranded me.  I knew it would be her last ride as I pulled her into the driveway.  2005 and only 123,456 hard miles.  Plowing snow, hauling firewood, hunting trips, Nascar races, endless trips to work.  We've been through a lot together in the last 12 years and I will miss her.  Goodbye and thanks for the ride!   

• Like 8

It is a sad day for me.  My sweet 2005 Chevy Silverado's health has not been good of late.  She has had cancer for a while and the bed has just been falling apart, the roof is the only panel with no rust.  She won't pass her emissions test, her brakes are worn, her ball joints are whipped.  I barely made it home from work today with an ailing transmission, but I made it, she has never stranded me.  I knew it would be her last ride as I pulled her into the driveway.  2005 and only 123,456 hard miles.  Plowing snow, hauling firewood, hunting trips, Nascar races, endless trips to work.  We've been through a lot together in the last 12 years and I will miss her.  Goodbye and thanks for the ride!   

I feel that pain...just dropped my 08 silverado off to shop today and I have only owned her sence febuary....had a ranger for 5 yeas before that and never saw a shop and never put more than 200 bucks into her entire time. Rot got her too... Tough when a good truck dies

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I sympathize.. My old 2002 duramax 2500 has 260000 Miles.had 180,000 when I bought it. I've changed the oil,bought tires,brakes, and brake lines..that's it..

She runs and drives down the rd like a new truck, but starting to look pretty rough..I have been keeping an eye out for a replacement too.

I'm a newbie here but I love this forum!

A Chevy, Ford, & Dodge owner have all commented, and not one guy bashing the other! 

Love it, had to say it!

good luck with what you decide to do with your vehicle, like said before the prices are out of control.  

• Like 2

I traded away my beloved F150 3 years ago for a expedition for the wife. I missed that truck every since that day

A little over a month ago while looking to replace my car, my wife came across my old truck for sale again at the same dealer I traded it in at. I ran down there that day and bought it back. She's got a extra 30k on her now but still looks and drives just like the last time I had it. I look forward to driving the wheels off of this truck. Or until the Ny winters eat it away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I gave up my 25 year old f-150 a few years ago. It was a dependable work truck that drank gas like a sailor on shore leave drinks beer. A leaking rear main seal was what convinced me to sell. I had a Jeep 4WD pickup back in the 70's that quickly turned into a complete rust-bucket, but they were well-known for that. I sold it in 1980 to a friend who stripped off all the sheet metal and is still using it as a tractor to pull firewood logs out of his woods. She was a tough old bird. I miss them both.

My condolences to you.

Boy it has not been a good week for Chevy trucks

I lost a wheel bearing coming home from work the other night in my 04 Avalanche almost losing the wheel & crashing the truck no warnings or noises just one loud crunch & I was holding on for the ride. While truck was in the shop My father gave me his 04 Silverado to use well last night on the way home it blew a head gasket with only 65,000 miles but like BigPaul this Silverado spent most of it's life plowing NH winters & has cancer pretty bad. Lots of parts replaced due to rot but it has never left him stranded either & made it home chucking a large white plume of smoke so he goes in next week they are going to put a stint in the Silverado's heart & hopefully not have to suggest a heart transplant because he will just have to pull the plug

Edited by gfdeputy2
  • Like 1

I had a Dodge Ram for about 10 yrs since new. Transmission failed 1500 miles out of warranty, and besides that I put close to $6000 in repairs over the 10 yrs I owned it (not counting tires). You name it, I fixed it. The truck had terminal rust in only 8 yrs.

I bought a '07 Tundra in 2010. 100,000 miles later and the only things I've had to do is a battery, tires, and brakes. One small spot of rust starting on the tailgate.

Only Tundras for me from now on!

Edited by Steuben Jerry

4 hours ago, Bionic said:

I'm a newbie here but I love this forum!

A Chevy, Ford, & Dodge owner have all commented, and not one guy bashing the other! 

Love it, had to say it!

good luck with what you decide to do with your vehicle, like said before the prices are out of control.  

I will say this I was a mechanic for over 10 years They are all great one day & pieces of crap the next. They have all had good years & bad. Some people have great luck with a certain brands & models while others have the worst with the same

• Like 1

My beloved 1990 F150 that I bought when I was a private in the marine corps is still kicking right along it came from Georgia and still doesn't have 1 spec of rust on her, the frame is still black with the factory paint. She has 480k on her and still drives down the road straight as an arrow. 2 years ago the clutch went and I didn't have time to fix it so I bought a Silverado with 12k miles on it. That was Jan of 2014 and it now has 16k on it because I drive the ford every day. Everyday I drive it I just smile I payed 800$ for it 10 years ago and other than a clutch and UJoints it hasn't needed anything but tires and oil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

My condolences.  I had an old '02 Ranger that I drove through college and a little bit after.  I traded it in with 186k and never did anything but brake pads and oil changes.  I take that back, I replaced a front caliper once, but it was a small price to pay.  I bought a '13 F150 last December with 29k on it.  She'll roll over 48k this week and I'm already dreading the day I have to give her up. 

I had a 05 Silverado...It was a great Truck. When it started to get rust under the doors I decided to trade it in before it looked real bad and nobody would want it. That was a little over two years ago. I traded it on a 13 Silverado that had 9k on it. I regretted it after about a week. The new truck doesn't do anything the old truck didn't except look nicer and it has a large payment. The new truck also seems like it dents when you touch it which is annoying for a truck.

11 hours ago, gfdeputy2 said:

I will say this I was a mechanic for over 10 years They are all great one day & pieces of crap the next. They have all had good years & bad. Some people have great luck with a certain brands & models while others have the worst with the same

I agree with you, I think its all about luck, and maintenance.  My father was actually a mechanic as well, and I couldn't agree more.  Vehicles may run longer now, but they rot so soon, and what drives me insane is the paper thin paint, chinsy thin body panels where if you sneeze, you have a dent.

• Like 1

That sucks!  So sorry. 

Working for Chevy for 13 years I wanted something that would last.  Over 180,000 on my  2003 Tacoma and still kicking.  Now it is just for hunting and I will get another 7 years out of it I hope!  Total repair cost less than 1000 $  until I do the 700$ window regulator and motor, arg.  So far only repairs where one O2 sensor and a U-joint from towing in salt water. 

Love Chevy just wish they where made better!   Much more fun driving a truck than having to fix it all the time!

That sucks. Ive had my 2010 Ram 1500 for about 5 years now, and shes at about 130k miles. The only rust is from where the previous owner had some chrome wheel well accents that I got rid of. The one on the drivers front had gouged the paint inside of the wheel well and I never noticed until the bubble started last year. The only major issue Ive had is the rear end, and that turned out to be my fault. Other than that, the only problem has been the exhaust manifold studs breaking, and Dodge fixed that on one side, and is doing the other side shortly, at no charge. Shes been a great truck, and has tons of life left in her but Ill be trading her in this coming spring for a 3500 Mega Cab with a Cummins so I can haul more and fit mine and my girlfriends kids all in there at the same time. Youd have to pay me to drive any other brand. Ive owned them all and my Chrysler products have always been good to me.