Waiting till the temps drop ?

rob-c

Anyone else waiting till these warm temps succeed before going bow hunting ? It looks like next weeekend will be better so I may get out then. Just not in a hurry to get out there this year. In the past years I have hunted  a bunch in early archery , so changing it up this year .I hope slow and steady wins the race. 

• Like 3

Somewhat , I went OD AM, because well I wait all year for this ,also sat one afternoon because it “ dropped” to upper 50s .

I may go tomorrow morning as I think the day starts out mid 50s but that 76 high doesn’t thrill me, but the wind will be prefect for one of my better stands . So I’ll hunt a couple hours and go shoot my guns .

But that’s it for several days, highs up to mid 80s , no thanks .

3 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

You guys said 'I'll like bow season because its warmer than gun  you said (as well as seeing deer move on their own"  It's been warm alright and wet. I'll continue to hunt in warm and cool but not a fan of this wet.

Cool but warm compared to gun is coming.  Let's call it cool weather as opposed to the freeze your tail feathers off in gun season. 

The first two weeks always like this.  But the next month after that......golden!  

You've seen some deer already.  Wait for it......it gets even better buddy. 

Then it gets even better than that last two weeks of season. 

1 hour ago, rob-c said:

Anyone else waiting till these warm temps succeed before going bow hunting

Precisely why I haven't been out plus it has rained every day here except one since the season opened. First nice day I have to cut the grass...first cool day I will be in the stand.

Waiting for the late October/early november timeframe to begin. Too early for my liking, although I do see results coming in on the "Live from the stand" thread, which is always a treat for me. Now if I lived on/near the property I hunt, I would have grabbed the bow and given it a whirl. 

Hunting around home, in the southern zone, I like it a lot better when it is colder because it simplifies the handling of the meat - that is always my first priority.   I prefer to hang them, skin on, in our insulated garage for a week to two week ageing period (longer is better for older deer) but it has to be a lot colder to do that.   Otherwise, they get skinned, cut in half, and hung in an old fridge for that ageing period.  Since crossbows were legalized, I have been waiting for that to open, at the same time the rut kicks off, for local deer hunting.  Usually it is a lot colder by the time that happens in early November.    

The other big advantage of the cold is that it slows down the tics and other bugs.   My first deer hunt will be this Friday with my crossbow, up in the northern zone.  Hopefully, a little colder weather will get some color in the leaves up there by them.  The best scenery while deer hunting is always a tossup between peak fall foliage and the first good snow cover.  Having killed two deer up there in each of those conditions, It is not easy for me to pick the winner.   Cold weather for processing is not such a big deal because there are a few inexpensive butchers with big coolers a relatively short drive from camp and no good reason to bring a whole tic-ridden deer home. 

Getting out there early (like now) does give you the first crack at the big ones though.   I don't have to worry about that anymore around home because a neighbor got the big one yesterday afternoon.   Also, you will definitely get the most meat out of them bucks if you kill them before the rut.  They pretty much stop eating after that kicks off in a few more weeks, when something more important than food becomes their driving force.      

Im done until friday morning after I get the kids dropped off at daycare and school.  I was going to call in a day but after seeing the temps I figured forget it and wait till Friday when it cools down,I do hvac so with it being warm it's easy money for me the next few days.

• Like 1