fasteddie

LIVE From The Woods 2019 - Lets hear stories and see some pictures!

Well it turns out I was hunting without an ACL this year.  Maybe that hike I took up and around the side of the hill in slippery 2 inches of snow wasn't the brightest thing I've ever done.  Surgery in January, should be mobile by Turkey season.
You'll be mobile well before Valentine's Day

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

KY is not the appropriate lube for your breach plug

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

There are some that would say KY is the perfect lube for the breech end

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Steve D said:

Actually they looked  like one could have been a coon(raccoon) and another a fox skull, they were not all deer but definitely a strange thing to find in the middle of nowhere. Makes you wonder what kind of people are roaming them thar hills. The fact they could find the same tree over and over and would keep going back makes me wonder about the person and what their motive might be. :crazy:

I would do something like that just to mess with them and maybe see them post it up on a hunting forum or something...:rofl:

Edited by Steuben Jerry

I processed the bigger doe I shot saturday and she weighed in at 140 field dressed. I was thinking she was going to be at least 150 but I’ve never weighed a doe before. Does anyone else weigh their does? If so, what’s an average doe weigh? I shot a big one last year that I got 60 pounds of meat off but I didn’t get a dressed weight on her.

07eb9b152f708aa1f5486df9f88d07ef.jpg

• Like 6

I processed the bigger doe I shot saturday and she weighed in at 140 field dressed. I was thinking she was going to be at least 150 but I’ve never weighed a doe before. Does anyone else weigh their does? If so, what’s an average doe weigh? I shot a big one last year that I got 60 pounds of meat off but I didn’t get a dressed weight on her.

07eb9b152f708aa1f5486df9f88d07ef.jpg&key=8cba2c1109216794f7be39921932a02f39ae11f35ed444cfae296ff926130170

140# dressed doe is huge, the average around me is 110-115.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, chrisw said:

X2 on 110-115.  Shot one last year dressed at 142. Big ole girl. Simply by luck / chance I tend to shoot big uns 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, chrisw said:

140 is a very big doe.  My buddy shot one that was 168 field dressed but she was Doezilla.  I agree with others that an average good size doe is in the 110lb range.

• Like 3

I shot one when I was an teenager  out in  Woodhull . Had to pull into  deer check station  on the way  home .  Biologist  said I had a huge doe . Turns out it was 169 and ounces dressed .  Haven't seen one that big since.

Wish I could find the Polaroids my gramps took ... dont know who in the family got them .

Edited by Nytracker

I'm thinking about going out later today in the rain. I've read that rain does not affect deer, but in my experience, I never see anything while it's coming down, but they all come out right after it stops. What's everyone else's experience?

12 hours ago, NockednLoaded said:

We had a doe come in right before buzzer. Looked a bit small so passed. fun evening heard one shot kinda close. 

20191209_141131.jpg

no messy hands in these temps. Brilliant!

• Like 1

"Ethical behavior is doing the right thing when no one else is watching, even when the wrong thing is legal"

-Aldo Leopold 

40 minutes ago, TheHornHunter said:

i weigh everything as we keep records. 140 is a very big mature doe for sure. Average doe being 115 or so in my area. A good doe being any over 125.

• Like 1

"Ethical behavior is doing the right thing when no one else is watching, even when the wrong thing is legal"

-Aldo Leopold 

17 minutes ago, Whereareyoubuck said:

I'm thinking about going out later today in the rain. I've read that rain does not affect deer, but in my experience, I never see anything while it's coming down, but they all come out right after it stops. What's everyone else's experience?

I dont think it affects deer. But it does sour the hunter experience and can be a risk for tracking depending on how hard it's raining. Also be careful with black powder in rain, be sure to tape the end of your barrel and try and keep your gun as dry as possible if not in a blind/shelter. I've sat in some snow storms with the smoke pole and have been able to keep my gun in my lap with my parka draped over the trigger and receiver section.

• Like 2

-Aldo Leopold 

49 minutes ago, TheHornHunter said:

140 is a big doe, we shoot them consistently in PA. Ny I’m happy with a 125# doe. I’m sure it is dependent on what type of land With food you have also.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, moog5050 said:

140 is a very big doe.  My buddy shot one that was 168 field dressed but she was Doezilla.  I agree with others that an average good size doe is in the 110lb range.

Ive said it before, 140lb does and scales are like Superman and Clark Kent, you never see them in the same room lol

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

I find a duck's opinion of me is very much influenced by whether or not I have bread

-Mitch Hedberg

21 hours ago, Belo said:

that's awesome for him, congrats! There's always a small part of me that feels for the deer taken on the last day. Like damn, you were this close buddy haha

We said the exact same thing! Had another guy miss another big one on the drive so one escaped till next year ...

• Like 1

I've hunted almost everyday of my life.. the rest have been wasted!

3 minutes ago, G-Man said:

We said the exact same thing! Had another guy miss another big one on the drive so one escaped till next year ...

I let a 4 pointer walk on the final Tuesday of ML last year, I like to think hes the buck I killed this year. Hes probably not, but im going with it lol

• Like 3

I find a duck's opinion of me is very much influenced by whether or not I have bread

-Mitch Hedberg

1 hour ago, TheHornHunter said:

1.5 year old does weigh 101 to 105 here,

2.5 weigh about 110 to 115

3.5 weigh in the 120's

I cant age doe over 3.5 to a year accurately but largest we ever weighed was shot by a neighbor and was over 180. Dressed had 5 inches of fat on it's back we tried for her for 3 years and she was huge every year and at least 3 when we 1st targeted her.so maybe 6 or 7 years old ? 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

I let a 4 pointer walk on the final Tuesday of ML last year, I like to think hes the buck I killed this year. Hes probably not, but im going with it lol

The one I got sun was a buck that shed it antlers already , I do not like that our seasons are so long last year muzzleloader we took 3 buck that had shed already.. I'm to the point I dont like hunting late season as killing a shed buck with 2.5 in bases still bloody is a true let down. And you then try and think what buck it may of been.. smh

• Like 1

1 minute ago, G-Man said:

The one I got sun was a buck that shed it antlers already , I do not like that our seasons are so long last year muzzleloader we took 3 buck that had shed already.. I'm to the point I dont like hunting late season as killing a shed buck with 2.5 in bases still bloody is a true let down. And you then try and think what buck it may of been.. smh

Last year was the first I can remember a lot of shed bucks being taken, myself included. This year seems to be the same, maybe its these long winters we are having? Our bucks have Low-T, we need to start sprinkling Nugenix on our food plots

• Like 1

-Mitch Hedberg

1 hour ago, Whereareyoubuck said:

Deer like rain.....

Please support the hunting of Mourning Dove In New York State.  For information, visit nydovehunting.weebly.com/

Were these deer taken on drives?

I guessing if your in a ground blind or stand you can id a shed buck? Just like being able to id a button or none legal 3" spiker.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Saw what I think was a shed buck on Saturday,  NOT that I’m an expert by any means, just the size and way it was acting/walking made me think. It was probably 70-80 yards in some thick cover

1.5 year old does weigh 101 to 105 here,
2.5 weigh about 110 to 115
3.5 weigh in the 120's
I cant age doe over 3.5 to a year accurately but largest we ever weighed was shot by a neighbor and was over 180. Dressed had 5 inches of fat on it's back we tried for her for 3 years and she was huge every year and at least 3 when we 1st targeted her.so maybe 6 or 7 years old ? 

Holy smokes! This deer had about an inch of fat and I was impressed with that. That’s a freaking monster

i weigh everything as we keep records. 140 is a very big mature doe for sure. Average doe being 115 or so in my area. A good doe being any over 125.

I’m going to start keeping track of it. I do it for bucks but have never weighed a doe before