Do you load your deer by yourself?

cynthiafu

24 minutes ago, First-light said:

I don't have to do this but if I did a pulley system would be in place. 

My thoughts too.typically i can call on someone to help out thankfully and my grandmother has a truck in the driveway i can haul it to be processed.only difference this year is ill be doing the processing myself.if i had to load em myself,pygmy's and moog's(even better) method's sound ideal!!!

• Like 1

my biggest problem is usually loading it onto my atv rack. Once it is on there, I am pretty close to the truck level. Using a sheet of ply wood to slide it onto, then up and in is a real good idea. I think I will look into that, and make a few cuts in it to hold straps to hold the deer in place.

Any one have a good idea to load one on the atv solo?

I can usually bull them up into the truck. As my truck isn't that high. But if I get a big one I have a couple of larger ratchet straps just for that.   If I ratchet one side up can flop the rest of the deer in. 

Was just thinking the bottom of a ladder stand might work well.  I have a few 9 fts and have a leftover ladder I didn't use.  Might work well to tie deer to it.  Get one end on the tailgate them lift and slide it up. Might try this 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

I can usually bull them up into the truck. As my truck isn't that high. But if I get a big one I have a couple of larger ratchet straps just for that.   If I ratchet one side up can flop the rest of the deer in. 

Was just thinking the bottom of a ladder stand might work well.  I have a few 9 fts and have a leftover ladder I didn't use.  Might work well to tie deer to it.  Get one end on the tailgate them lift and slide it up. Might try this 

Both sound like good ways, Rob....20 years ago I could bull one up into the truck too, and I am a little smaller than you are..

About ten years ago I had  a hell of a time loading an adult doe...Since then I have had to use some mechanical advantage if I am alone, which is most of the time..  LEVERAGE is your FRIEND …..Hehehe..

• Like 1

2017crossbow5.JPG

I have struggled with that a bit over at my folks place the last few years.  My dad is too worn down to help much and he does not have a loader tractor.  This porker from 2017 had to be more that 190 pounds field-dressed (per the PA chest girth chart) and it was not too difficult to get it up on that rack without any help.  It was a bit easier for me to get a 182 pounder on that rack last year (weighed on a "legal for trade" scale to shut up the PA chart nay-sayers).  Throw the rear end up first, then the front or vise-versa. (It is only about a 10" lift).   

Those two were considerably easier than quite a few smaller deer, that I pulled a lot higher up into the bed of my pickup truck by myself, using the removed tailgate as a ramp.   Loading deer at home or up at my in-laws by myself is much easier, thanks to having tractors with front loaders at both of those locations.     

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Daveboone said:

my biggest problem is usually loading it onto my atv rack. Once it is on there, I am pretty close to the truck level. Using a sheet of ply wood to slide it onto, then up and in is a real good idea. I think I will look into that, and make a few cuts in it to hold straps to hold the deer in place.

Get a 2in reciever and make a hoist out a come along and square tube.. 

3 hours ago, cynthiafu said:

I use a deer cart. But what do you use? I saw this looks like a good idea.

f61ef96d8653814f6631b540ef4ee536--hunting-stuff-deer-hunting.jpg

Your question is confusing to me......You asked if we load are deer by ourselves but then you say you use a deer cart.  A deer cart isn't really used to load a deer, it's used to get a deer out of the woods.  Did you mean a "Hitch Haul" like TF & wolc show?

As for loading deer into a p/u truck (the only thing I can relate to) alone, I use a 2"x12"x6' with 1x4 boards screwed to the sides to keep the deer less inclined to slide off when getting winched up.  The winch is secured with 2"x4" framing secured at the front of the bed of my Tacoma.

I don't have any pics of my current set up but have one of my first attempt at figuring out what would work best for me.......

3EfooZ0.jpg

Most 1.5 year old doe and buck I can load alone but some of the older heavier deer (approx 140lbs and up) I need help with. Although I'm getting older and weaker, the deer seem to be getting heavier in the area I hunt.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Daveboone said:

Yeah this is my problem too.  Usually by myself, on the side of a hill.

Double snatch block. I've got one with webbing. Very small and lite that lives on the wheeler. Get deer to a tree branch, attach snatch block to branch (sometimes a challenge) lift deer and then lower onto wheeler rack. Can do the same at the truck or slide off wheeler. If things get real nasty I'll get the cheap plastic kids sled and tow it out which can be fun down hill in the snow. Real bad , like 2 down or a bear, I get the tractor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, Lawdwaz said:

Your question is confusing to me......You asked if we load are deer by ourselves but then you say you use a deer cart.  A deer cart isn't really used to load a deer, it's used to get a deer out of the woods.  Did you mean a "Hitch Haul" like TF & wolc show?

As for loading deer into a p/u truck (the only thing I can relate to) alone, I use a 2"x12"x6' with 1x4 boards screwed to the sides to keep the deer less inclined to slide off when getting winched up.  The winch is secured with 2"x4" framing secured at the front of the bed of my Tacoma.

I don't have any pics of my current set up but have one of my first attempt at figuring out what would work best for me.......

3EfooZ0.jpg

Most 1.5 year old doe and buck I can load alone but some of the older heavier deer (approx 140lbs and up) I need help with. Although I'm getting older and weaker, the deer seem to be getting heavier in the area I hunt.

I leave the deer on the cart and pull it up into the truck bed .  Works better with 2 people but have done it by myself . 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, blackbeltbill said:

I have yet to take a Deer. I would probably just Lift him up into my Trunk. Been Lifting Weights since age 11. 

Charles Atlas: 150 pounds of freshly killed deer isn’t like 150 pounds of dumb bells.......

Edited by Lawdwaz
  • Haha 3

Years ago I went to Newfoundland to hunt moose. I watched the guides bone out moose in the woods, and a series of light bulbs went on in my foggy head. These days if I kill a deer in deep, it's coming out in pieces. If I can get to it with an ATV or truck, I'm pulling it out with a rope. I like to think I've learned to work smart rather than hard.:sungum:

If I do need to get one in the back of the truck, I'll look for help. But the plywood idea looks good.

Edited by Uncle Nicky
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, wolc123 said:

2017crossbow5.JPG

I have struggled with that a bit over at my folks place the last few years.  My dad is too worn down to help much and he does not have a loader tractor.  This porker from 2017 had to be more that 190 pounds field-dressed (per the PA chest girth chart) and it was not too difficult to get it up on that rack without any help.  It was a bit easier for me to get a 182 pounder on that rack last year (weighed on a "legal for trade" scale to shut up the PA chart nay-sayers).  Throw the rear end up first, then the front or vise-versa. (It is only about a 10" lift).   

Those two were considerably easier than quite a few smaller deer, that I pulled a lot higher up into the bed of my pickup truck by myself, using the removed tailgate as a ramp.   Loading deer at home or up at my in-laws by myself is much easier, thanks to having tractors with front loaders at both of those locations.     

I don't think anybody doubts the PA chart regarding body size; it's the meat yield portion of the chart that needs re-vamping.

Edited by Uncle Nicky
  • Like 2

51 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

Charles Atlas: 150 pounds of freshly killed deer isn’t like 150 pounds of dumb bells.......

It's true.  Especially in the woods by yourself.  They're slippery, and one end tried to fall off the quad while you hoist the other end.  Now for getting then in the back of the truck, I like the redneck nesting dolls approach :

IMG_20181209_144349.jpg

• Like 1