LIVE From The Woods 2021 Stories And Pictures Let's Have Em!

grampy

2 minutes ago, grampy said:

Saw two different mature bucks cruising at mid day. One above where I was set up, one below. Way too far for a shot. Both hugging thick cover.

Had something happen late this afternoon, that I have never heard before in the deer woods. I was in a hub blind close to thick cover, (notice a pattern here?) when a buck started grunting. And grunting. And grunting! Non stop! For almost 20 minutes! I couldn't see him. But I don't think he was moving, pretty much stationary? No sticks breaking or anything like that. Just non stop grunting! Have no idea whether it was an old or young buck. I've heard tons of bucks grunting over the years. But never like this. For so long. Non stop! And yes, I'm positive it was a buck grunting. 

Anyone else ever have this happen?20211109_163715.thumb.jpg.262dca018acf21a7a85462b62f7130bc.jpg

Three doe's out front on edge of thick stuff, before the buck grunting began.

Towards the end I got laughing, thinking this buck will grunt himself hoarse! It ended as abruptly as it started. I estimate he grunted a minimum of 200 times!! Non stop!

Whatayathink????

That is crazy. all there is to it...

• Like 1

Sat the edge of the bean field again for the last 2 hrs of the day as it's an easy and quick stand for me to hop in after work. I had a buck down over the bank from me grunting and pacing back and forth but never got a good luck at his head gear as he was in a bunch of thick stuff. There's a patch of woods that that sticks out into the field on opposite side that's only 10 yards wide at the widest spot and is roughly 300 yards from me. With about an hour or so left of shooting light I see a doe come flying out with a little 6 running her hard. I get caught up watching them so much that I didn't see the other buck come out until he was about 50 yards from me and coming in hot. I grab my bow and am about to draw when I realize it's the up and comer. With this being the last week he's really beginning to push his luck.imagejpeg_0(18).thumb.jpg.b7d63854b93526fec79743c0c7206cf2.jpg

• Like 4

Saw two different mature bucks cruising at mid day. One above where I was set up, one below. Way too far for a shot. Both hugging thick cover.
Had something happen late this afternoon, that I have never heard before in the deer woods. I was in a hub blind close to thick cover, (notice a pattern here?) when a buck started grunting. And grunting. And grunting! Non stop! For almost 20 minutes! I couldn't see him. But I don't think he was moving, pretty much stationary? No sticks breaking or anything like that. Just non stop grunting! Have no idea whether it was an old or young buck. I've heard tons of bucks grunting over the years. But never like this. For so long. Non stop! And yes, I'm positive it was a buck grunting. 
Anyone else ever have this happen?20211109_163715.thumb.jpg.262dca018acf21a7a85462b62f7130bc.jpg
Three doe's out front on edge of thick stuff, before the buck grunting began.
Towards the end I got laughing, thinking this buck will grunt himself hoarse! It ended as abruptly as it started. I estimate he grunted a minimum of 200 times!! Non stop!
Whatayathink????

My only guess would be tending a doe but I’ve never seen one grunt anywhere close to that long. Maybe rut fried his brain

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Heading out for a quick hunt before work in 3S. We got 32° with a 6:39am sunrise, so 609am legal shooting and minimal N wind. Yesterday was nearly 70 degrees and tonight/tomorrow is rain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

I’m up as well for a morning hunt . But I gotta say this sucks , when I get up all I think about is coming home and taking a nap . Guys talk about how you have to grind it out … no thanks a grind is no fun and to be avoided . Im definitely toward the end of hunting this much anymore . 

• Like 3

Planned to hunt for the first time in a week, but I woke up to a terribly sore back.  Went outside to check the wind and spooked a bunch of deer in the backyard.

I’ve seen two giant bucks midday in the last two days, I hate to miss a day in the woods.  Ibuprofen, give me wings.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, suburbanfarmer said:

Tending grunts, almost like clicking sound goes on forever ;) or until they part ways.

Yup tending ... had it happen 20 years ago watched an 8 pt breed a doe in a thicket . He mounted her multiple  times over what I guessed  to be half an hour  grunting and ticking the whole time . Had 2 smaller bucks in that time  come grunting through  circled but kept distance. 

• Like 1

Holy crap! I’m almost to my stand and I hear one running off. No wait he’s coming at me! The deer stops on the other side of a beech tree. 4 or 5 yards away, I can hear it breathing. Then it ran rift past me within feet. I was two steps away from my stand so I waited a minute and climbed up. Haven’t heard anything since. Wow! That woke me up!

• Like 11

Not sure if it’s the one that almost railroaded me, but once it got light enough I grunted a few times and he appeared about 55 yds away. Grunted again and he came right in. 18 yd shot and he ran maybe 20. Getting ready to climb down. Pics soon!

• Like 14

34 out and up
Had one walk by me in the dark. My brother is in my far stand past the Hole. I heard his crossbow go off and saw a deer run. He toasted the big boy I posted in my journal yesterday! I’ll get a pic when we get down and go get him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 8

23 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

C'mon buck deers! 

IMG_20211111_064333962.jpg

Good luck this week Rob!  Congrats to Paul and Fletch's brother.  Some bucks hitting the ground!!!

I will head over to the farm this afternoon for my last crossbow hunt before VT rifle season starts.  Put up a few posted signs, check cameras, move a stand etc.  Lookin' like a "killer" day.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, bigpaul said:

Not sure if it’s the one that almost railroaded me, but once it got light enough I grunted a few times and he appeared about 55 yds away. Grunted again and he came right in. 18 yd shot and he ran maybe 20. Getting ready to climb down. Pics soon!

DIDN'T GO 20!!!

• Haha 2