Does this bring back memories!!??

Fletch

02d9a1fe49dd9b21a1181edc2a6c6f37.jpg

I remember sitting over a beaver pond in on of these my uncle put me in when I was maybe 16. Let's just say today's stands are light years ahead. But back then I used to stand on tree branches lol!

Share your stories!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stands like that are what kept me out of the tree tops for so long.

Only recently (within the past few years) have I become comfortable enough,and feel confident enough, in how far stands have come to use them.

The first production climber stand I ever bought was very similar to that thing and is still hanging in the first tree I hung it in many years ago.

I used it that ONE time and it's been there ever since.

Scared me so bad that I have to believe it saved me from a potential disaster had I kept using it.

My uncle rode his Baker to the ground one day..............no worse for wear, a couple weeks later he climbed up a tree.  He was gripped with fear when it was time to come down. :)

A ladder was brought to the "scene" and he climbed down via the Werner. 

As God is my witness and as far as I know, that stand is STILL in the tree, just off Schwartz Rd in Naples.  It is at a VERY awkward angle after all the years of growth on the tree and completely UN-useable by anything other than a squirrel, chipmunk, coon etc. :)

Back in the early 80's my first "hang on" stand was a Loc On brand.  Not too shabby but I sure as balls wouldn't trust it anymore.......

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

As God is my witness and as far as I know, that stand is STILL in the tree, just off Schwartz Rd in Naples.  It is at a VERY awkward angle after all the years of growth on the tree and completely UN-useable by anything other than a squirrel, chipmunk, coon etc. :)

I'm gonna have to grab a shot next time I hike past mine.

Same deal as your story, but I managed to hop over and shimmy down the tree next to me instead of decending with the stand,lol

I don't think I was more than 10-12ft high at the time but it scared the crap outta me being afraid to even attempt running it back down the tree. I'll be honest.... I was ready to jump regardless,lol

Cracks me up every time I look up there and see it still hangin' there.

• Like 4

I have sat and stood on limbs, but I don't think even before my fear of heights I would have used that. LOL

My first stand was a lock on as well ( not brand ). Had a t-bolt you screwed into the tree, then slid the stand on the t-bolt and secured it to the tree with one strap. If I recall, the safety belt was just that a belt. I used it on public land a few times, that wasn't fun. Couldn't use the t-bolt or screw in steps. I made climbing steps by cutting a 2x4 into 5" sections, drilling holes through the sections and pushing a rope though it. Tied them to the tree on the way up, and then used a roof strap along with the main strap to help hold the stand to the tree instead of the t-bolt. The stand would slide around on the tree in a good wind. Maybe that's a contributing factor to why I am afraid of heights now. 

• Like 1

Had a couple Screaming Eagle portable hang on's. Thought it was state of the art...then we got to thinking about that chain that wrapped around the tree and hooked on to a welded hook. If hook gave way, I was dead. recycled them and bought ladder stands. Mucho safer.

41 minutes ago, peepsight said:

I had a buddy that made a stand out of his mothers old ironing board. Of course back in the late 70's/early 80's ironing boards were like a surf board. No such thing as manufactured stands back in those days.

I know that guy. He's still wearing wrinkled clothes to this day

• Like 5

48 minutes ago, Merlot said:

Had a couple Screaming Eagle portable hang on's. Thought it was state of the art...then we got to thinking about that chain that wrapped around the tree and hooked on to a welded hook. If hook gave way, I was dead. recycled them and bought ladder stands. Mucho safer.

Dang........I've been using Screaming Eagle stands for 25 years or more.  I only have 5-6 of them and haven't had an issue. 

My good friend bought one in the late 80's and he and another friend (lousy welders) built 30+ copies from that one Screaming Eagle.  The fellow that spearheaded the building of those stands (now 79 years old) only puts up 10-12 a year in his most productive spot these days.  Just a couple years ago he'd put up and hunt from 14-16 each fall.  In his newest spots he'd be swapping them out once or twice a season if an area didn't pan out. 

I don't know anyone or haven't known anyone in the 30 years we've been good friend that hunts archery hunts more than him.  Mornings/evenings; bow season/gun season and late season.

Needless to say, I still trust my stands. 

As always, YMMV.   :)

I used a Baker a couple of times, no hand climber just hugging the tree.

About the third time I used it I was on my way up and unloaded it when I was perhaps six feet off the ground.

It was a JARRING experience when I hit the ground. Glad I wasn't up any higher when it happened.

I never used it again..Today it's solid ladder stands for me.  I haven't used a hang on in at least 15 years.

• Like 1

wooden platforms, big nails for climbing pegs and no safety harness in the beginning.......it's a wonder myself or anyone I hunted with never got hurt using that system. The first safety belts we used just looped around the tree and cinched around your chest under your armpits, if the fall didn't kill you the safety belt would for sure.

Edited by jjb4900
  • Like 2

Yes, back in the days before I evolved and came down out of the trees, Baker was the only game in town. I added all kinds of chains and other attachment features but never felt safe in it. So I began building welded up treestands with 36" x 36" platforms that were chain-on with jack screws. When installed they were a piece of the tree, not going anywhere. Then I still got to the point where I would have had to shoot my bow one-handed because I became afflicted with fear-of-heights .... I couldn't let go of the tree. Finally had to give up the monkey impression, and get down on the ground where I belong..... lol. It's been a much more pleasurable, relaxed and calm hunt from that day forward.

• Like 1

This topic brings back memories,  my dad used to make our treestands when I first started . I'll never forget the morning he decided he was gonna make it easier for me to get in my stand and built me a rope ladder , well, there i am 12 feet off the ground completely horizontal wondering just how in the heck I'm supposed to actually get into the tree off of this rope ladder . He forgot to realize I didn't know the proper way to climb a rope ladder at the time.

13 hours ago, Lawdwaz said:

Dang........I've been using Screaming Eagle stands for 25 years or more.  I only have 5-6 of them and haven't had an issue. 

My good friend bought one in the late 80's and he and another friend (lousy welders) built 30+ copies from that one Screaming Eagle.  The fellow that spearheaded the building of those stands (now 79 years old) only puts up 10-12 a year in his most productive spot these days.  Just a couple years ago he'd put up and hunt from 14-16 each fall.  In his newest spots he'd be swapping them out once or twice a season if an area didn't pan out. 

I don't know anyone or haven't known anyone in the 30 years we've been good friend that hunts archery hunts more than him.  Mornings/evenings; bow season/gun season and late season.

Needless to say, I still trust my stands. 

As always, YMMV.   :)

Larry, like you I still have 2 of their stands as well. My stands are probably as old as yours!!!