Most recoil in any gun you've shot ?

Had a discussion around the fire pit last night. Friend of a friend just built a .458 Socom and said it thumps pretty good. I quickly retrieved a 3.5" turkey load out of the car and said" you ain't felt nothing til shooting one of these. '  Mind you my turkey gun (Remington SPT 12 gauge) is an auto loader and even on paper them 3.5's don't hurt in the least. Gun weighs about 12 pounds, nice factory recoil pad. Could shoot hundreds all day if I wanted. I've heard turkey loads equate to most recoil out there.

My original turkey set up years ago was a Winchester 1300. Decided to test out a few different 2.75" loads on paper. I think I shot 3 shells and was prompt in my decision that I wasn't shooting any more. And BS you can't feel it while shooting a bird. That thing loosened fillings in my teeth,.

Years back I shot a 3.5 " Nitro Co magblend on a bird out of a single shot H n R . That gun weighs zero but oddly I didn't feel it. My brother has the same gun in 10 gauge. I get black and blue marks just watching him shoot it.

Mossberg 835's with 3.5"'s are supposed to be brutal. Actually read some reviews and probably considered one of the hardest kicking combos out there.

Never shot a Barret 50 cal.  Have shot a Desert Eagle 50 AE and it was very manageable. Taurus 454 casull was milder than expected. My .44 Super Blackhawk surprised me at lack of thump. I was actually a little timid the first squeeze. It pushes more than flips.   The Smith in  .500,  Grizzly pack gun.with a snub nose.......not a gun I ever want to shoot. Nor perhaps Lightfields 3.5" deer slugs either

What shoulder crushing , teeth rattling boomers have you shot?

Edited by turkeyfeathers
  • Like 2

I have the 835 and a 300 Wby Mag... Talk about rocking 150lbs in the Arse. Broke my glasses first shot with 300. lol     A little muzzle work and no she is as tame as a 20 Gauge....But ya better have ear protection anywhere near it!

Namby pamby. The 300wby mag in ultra lightweight unbroken still isn't THAT bad. I do shoot mine broken but thats only for long distance accuracy ie. 400+ yards

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Shot others guns;

500 NE in a  sub 12lb double rifle needs some extra attention to shoot well.

505 Gibbs bolt gun. Poor fit for me didn't help.

Was offered to shoot a 460Wby and declined. Closing in on a 100ft lbs recoil there and typical deer cartridges are more like 12-30 ft lbs in typical rifle weights around 8 lbs or so.

Some I have owned;

458 Lott with some pretty stiff handloads (500grs@over2300fps)  602 Brno fit pretty good with some adjustments. Around 10 lbs all up.

300 RUM in a 7 1/2 lb all up rig. Again fit me well. Still own the stock and using a 300Wby on it at the moment. Was very impressive on several hunts for terminal performance but the Wby is as good with a whole lot less powder.

Just bought a 458 Win Mag for a hunt and planning on 480gr softs and solids with open sight/rear peep; maybe a mini reflex sight. Not sure if it'll get a recoil reducer in butt as I like a slight heavy muzzle.

Edited by Dinsdale
  • Like 1

Ha-ha..... I am not into that stuff that derives pleasure from pain. All of my rifles have had a primary requirement that they do not hurt to shoot. A few years back our county finally allowed rifles for deer hunting. Before I purchased a deer rifle, I made sure that all candidates were easy on the shoulder. I wanted a gun that I would want to target shoot with as well as kill deer. Over all the decades of deer hunting with a gun, I had been using a 12 gauge Ithaca Deerslayer. That gun was truly a pain, and practice with it was as few slugs as I could use to get the scope zeroed in and kept that way over all those years. When rifles were finally allowed, I happily went to a .270, and have been a happy shooter ever since. I can shoot that thing until I get tired of blowing the center out of the x-ring. It is a very pleasant gun to shoot, and that keeps me on the target range longer because of it.

I have no intentions of shooting brown bears or elephants at any time in the future so It is all the gun that I need. By the way, the Ithaca  serves as a decoration in the gun case and is a loaner for anyone that I hunt with that needs one.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, sodfather said:

When I was 12 my dad put a slug in a 12gauge for my first shot. I still feel that sometimes I think. That was not a good teaching moment 

A stock 12 gauge no recoil pad and a high shock slug round, OUCH!  That has my vote as I tend to stay away from high shock guns.  Shot a few 50 cals and they where easer than the 12 gauge.

• Like 2

835 with turkey loads was awful.  On top of that, I never got the gun to pattern, so I sold it.  My buddy and I patterned his 835 one fall.  That afternoon I watched him put a stalk on a jake flock and whiff completely.  He flinched and shot right over.  I shoot a 7 Rem Mag and don't mind that.  I did put a decent recoil pad on it. 

1 hour ago, NFA-ADK said:

A stock 12 gauge no recoil pad and a high shock slug round, OUCH!  That has my vote as I tend to stay away from high shock guns.  Shot a few 50 cals and they where easer than the 12 gauge.

It was ouch!! A Belgium Browning 12 gauge I actually still have the gun but it's a safe queen never sees the field

• Like 1

I recall my hand going tingly when I was working up a load for my 7RM, I kept shooting cause I couldn't feel anything. lol 

It's not that bad with hunting clothes on but a Tee shirt is a bit different. 

I'd have to say 3" loads out of any shot gun that's not a semi is up there in terms of ouch factor. 

• Like 1

Hands down, my Ithaca Deerslayer 2, with three inch slugs. It actually shot better groups with the two and three quarters, so was happy about that! Though it still thumped pretty good. Was so happy when we went to rifle four years ago! My 7mm/08 and 270 are barely noticeable in recoil compared to the slug guns I've shot.

• Like 2

The most recoil I ever felt was with a double barrel 12 ga Hopkins & Allen with target loads . AQ friend asked if I wanted to shoot some clay pigeons on his property in Walworth . All I had was the double barrel 12 ga . I was doing pretty fair and Al asked me if I wanted to try doubles . I asked what that was . He said that he would load two clays and that one would go straight out and the other would cross in front of me and sail to my left . Al said to shoot the one that would swing across to my left and then swing the shotgun back and shoot the one going straight . Okay ! 

I pulled both hammers back , got ready and said pull . Didn't realize how fast the clays would go . I swung the shotgun horizontally and in my haste I pulled both triggers at the same time . That kinda jarred the shoulder a bit ! 

• Like 1

There is recoil, and there is perceived recoil. Stock geometry affects the later a great deal. One of the most "unpleasant" guns I have ever shot is my late Father's 16ga H&R Topper single shot shotgun. Trying to bring tough Fox Squirrels out of tall Illinois Oaks with high brass loads would beat your cheek up so bad you looked like you did a round with Mike Tyson. A stock with a lot of drop at the heel and/or a butt plate angled toward the toe will cause the gun to jump an beat up the cheek bone. A light weight weapon makes it even worse.

Edited by wildcat junkie

H and R  12 gauge single shot with no recoil pad  shooting 3 inch turkey loads. after several shots to check pattern my shoulder was black and blue , I did kill a few birds with that old single though. funny thing is I can shoot 100's of full tilt rounds from  my super red hawk  44 mag with a wood grip with no problems. funny how recoil affects people differently...

Edited by rob-c

11 minutes ago, doebuck1234 said:

I also have a side by side 10 gauge that i inherited when my uncle passef away. Not sure of model.its an odd name that isnt common.may have to pull it out this summer and see what its got haha

The 10ga I shot was a dbl as well. Only one shell loaded. I was about 14. I am not trying to get deep into your personal life, but was your uncles name Milton? 

Edited by ....rob