Tomorrow Is Opening Day, What Gun 4U?

Lawdwaz

Start to finish with my 50 cal Traditions Pursuit muzzleloader.

250gn Hornady SST's in front of 100gn Pyrodex pellets could perform better on impact, but haven't failed me yet.

Kit scope.

100% shot/kill/recovery rate with this combination. Multiple deer each season over the last 10 years or so.

Can't deny my Winchester model 94 in 44 Mag using Federal 300 grain CaseCore, shot some Remington 180 JSP that I really like, they shoot much flatter than the 300 gr.  Da  Open sights.  Sometimes I load varying rounds in this gun only.  

Savage 110 in 30-06  Federal premium 165 gr sierra boat tail, gun is not a tack driver but it's close.  Love that gun.   Bushnell 3X9 40mm.

The 30-30 I have been testing 150 grains and it shoots well, few more tests at the range to determine which round I will choose.   Bushnell scope. 

Not sure which gun will be used after the first day.  I tend to like the open sights and usually don't hunt many open area's but all 3 have sentimental value so any one can be chosen on any day.  

No brainer for me....Rem  700 Mountain Rifle in 7mm08  with a Burris 2x-7x  and shooting  Barnes 120  grain TTSX at about 3000 fps....

After that, who knows ?  Perhaps my M70 Win in .280 Rem, or my  Springfield 03A3  in 30-06, or perhaps my M1 Garand.....

• Like 1

Winchester ML stuffed with these and 100 grains of 777. Bushnell Elite 3200 firefly 3x9. With the born on date of 1978 Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 riding in the new Kenai chest rig I just ordered. Iron sights. 240 grain handrolled hp's from a very good shooter and reloader who I bought the gun from  Gent owns a few state records and knows this gun  Looking for my 2nd deer with it this year   Rest of season will be the same with Springfield 1898 30-40 krag getting the nod a few times  Would really like to tip one over with that gun  Heck , just saw one on display in Smithsonian which was cool  

IMG_6744.JPG

• Like 1

Either my 7600 in 35whelen shooting 225gn Barnes ttsx @2725fps with a leupold vxr 1-4 or my Ruger American in 450bushmaster shooting a 270gn Barnes @ 2400fps with a leupold vx3 1-5 or my now ghost ring peep sighted with a trijicon front post Remington 760 in358 win shooting a 200gn Barnes ttsx @2500fps.c53cb2e2c56fc521685c6d7e2cb63b2c.jpga1810816fd86083c4a3dfd1778ebd13d.jpg7dc773aa30f747014127dc3d6a369fa1.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Rem 700 VTR in 308 with a Vortex Viper HS 2.5-10x44 and Federal Fusion 140gr. If I get a buck opening day, then the TC Encore .50 with a Vortex Crossfire 2 3-9x40 running 250gr Hornady SST fired by Blackhorn 209 comes out. 

I'm dying to get back to the Muzzleloader but I want the get my first rifle buck first. 

1 hour ago, Stay at home Nomad said:

My Savage .270 , I don't recall what scope is on it, but it was a package deal. 

Ammo?  Not sure really I've got a few boxes and they have a pic of a deer and  elk on them .

hope that helps 

I'd wager that  they are long, shiny and pointed too.....<<GRIN>>....

Edited by Pygmy
  • Like 1

By the time opening day rolls around I would love to be tagged  out to the point I would only have to trophy hunt since I am more & more less interested in gun season. If I have to hunt opening day the gun I would use would depend on the terrain  I am hunting. More than likely I would be toting the .12 gauge auto with sabot slugs but in certain areas where I use a rifle it would be my Browning A-bolt in .223 with the 60 grain Hornady v-max.

I realize most of you prefer the "bigger" calibers. but the .223 is my prference.

• Like 1