Live From The Woods 2017 edition!

WNYBuckHunter

I had a funny experience this am. Lake Carmel area. First season w bow, have yet to get a deer. Got a bear two weeks ago. 

So this little doe comes up to me this morning at 815. I'm on the ground, back to a stone wall.  She's barely a shooter and I try ignoring her but she's persistent.  Gets maybe 7 yards away. Looking at me, trying to decide what's up.    Finally snorts five times and walks off. Rest of the family never show. Now I'm kinda regretting not taking the shot. She was so trusting though. :rolleyes:

Spent 7 hrs in what i thought was a great spot freezing,just to watch a small doe and her tiny fawn walk by at 45 yds. Does that sound like a fun hobby? I am gonna have to say noooo right now.

I was in a hardwood stand of oaks,a couple of ridges converged,but it sucked anyway. This is so frustrating. I might not go back out,because what's the point?

I guess I hit a wall,seems like such a crapshoot and i don't even know how to play. I have been waiting for this weather and can't buy a deer now. Stupid.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sodfather said:

Well first want to know if anyone shot a deer with a crossbow on Lapp rd or Wolcottsville rd today or last night. Had this little guy come hobbled through and was suffering. I put one through the heart to end his misery. Pulled a small arrow out of his back in picture. Just cause ya hunt with a crossbow doesn’t mean you shouldn’t practice. Feel bad I had to waste my tag but wasn’t going to leave to suffer. Called DEC they didn’t give a crap. 

23FD5AEB-2130-4847-AE3E-B196D4D12F8E.jpeg

5AF69337-01AD-4D00-9696-42F2ED766412.jpeg

2320F77E-1541-4D79-AE13-D0AA76C58AB0.jpeg

My money is on that being a broken arrow from a vertical bow and not a bolt from a crossbow for three reasons:  First, I have hunted that area for more than 35 years and have found around a half dozen that had similar broken arrow sections in them, prior to the legalization of crossbows (3) years ago.  Second, I don't know of anyone who uses aluminum bolts in their crossbows, they all use carbon.   Third, a high hit is often the result of string jump caused by shooting at an "alert" deer that caught a glimpse of the hunter's draw.  That draw motion is not needed with a crossbow.   

You did the right thing for taking him out though, and thanks for doing that.  The last time I did it was about 10 years ago when I could have shot a 4 pointer right under my stand with my slug gun, but opted for a longer shot at an eight pointer instead.  I regretted that move a bit when I butchered him and cut my hand and lost some chops from the broadhead that was imbedded in "no-mans" land, above the spine.         

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

My money is on that being a broken arrow from a vertical bow and not a bolt from a crossbow for three reasons:  First, I have hunted that area for more than 35 years and have found around a half dozen that had similar broken arrow sections in them, prior to the legalization of crossbows (3) years ago.  Second, I don't know of anyone who uses aluminum bolts in their crossbows, they all use carbon.   Third, a high hit is often the result of string jump caused by shooting at an "alert" deer that caught a glimpse of the hunter's draw.  That draw motion is not needed with a crossbow.      

No I had both ends of the arrow definitely a crossbow 

0FA1FCF8-1CAE-4462-BCBD-41DE49D95134.jpeg

FFF6DF2B-69C6-4962-BFD1-373BFB10F966.jpeg

Edited by sodfather
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, BowmanMike said:

Spent 7 hrs in what i thought was a great spot freezing,just to watch a small doe and her tiny fawn walk by at 45 yds. Does that sound like a fun hobby? I am gonna have to say noooo right now.

I was in a hardwood stand of oaks,a couple of ridges converged,but it sucked anyway. This is so frustrating. I might not go back out,because what's the point?

I guess I hit a wall,seems like such a crapshoot and i don't even know how to play. I have been waiting for this weather and can't buy a deer now. Stupid.

Well said I'm with ya it's nuts

• Like 1

All in all it was a good night. Saw two different bucks. One was good enough that I had the crossbow on the rest, but, he kept herding his doe back into the thick stuff and never gave me a good shot. What’s everyone’s opinion on this wind tomorrow?

3 minutes ago, Zuke said:

All in all it was a good night. Saw two different bucks. One was good enough that I had the crossbow on the rest, but, he kept herding his doe back into the thick stuff and never gave me a good shot. What’s everyone’s opinion on this wind tomorrow?

If you have a protected spot to hunt,get into it. 

But maybe you shouldn't take my advice,because i am with sokrates,I know nothing.

GET A HOLD OF YOURSELF LOL!! It takes five seconds for a buck to roll in and change your entire season, and it will happen
  • Like 3

its going to be cold tomorrow and the wind looks like its going to slow down around dawn. So it looks like maybe a hand warmer day. I can only hunt until 9  as i have a chiropractor appointment at 11.And then physical therapy at 2. I bet ill be back at it after therapy. Get some.I didnt see or jump anything today. I was out for a while this morning... 9a.

10 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

GET A HOLD OF YOURSELF LOL!! It takes five seconds for a buck to roll in and change your entire season, and it will happen

JHC, HELL YEA!!

I've gone from zero to hero in 5 seconds, many times.

• Like 2

Nada for me. Try again in the AM- hope he comes back again at 8am. I’d even take 7am. Temps should drop from 50 right now to 31 in the AM. Little rain now and tonight, will be gone by tomorrow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, BowmanMike said:

Gotta keep on pushing, or sitting as it is!  C'mon!  Let's go, it's gonna be time soon, but ya got to be there for it!