What do you guys do for a living?

BigVal

I install flagpoles  Banners and signs.  Smallest ive installed were a couple 12'poles off of a building and largest were a handful of 88'poles.   I would say the average size pole that gets installed is 35'

I seen you doing work on the Bills stadium in orchard park. I waved, but you couldn’t see me I guess

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Worked at Xerox for 13 years right out of college in the trades. Worked with a lot of fun guys, made some decent money, did a ton of hunting. Then the fun guys started retiring or going to work at other places. So I started working on the family farm on my days off and decided it was for me. So that's what I'm doing now. Things are finally slowing down now for the first time since mid July so I'm hoping to finally get some hunting in!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lawdwaz said:

I travel to zoo's all across the country circumcising young bull elephants.  The pay is fair but the tips are HUGE..........

Not a zoo but here's two youngins' for you to practice on and the one is really ready to go!

kfTbSlZ.jpg

Edited by Dinsdale
  • Like 1

I make the shade you enjoy on your patio.Yup patio awnings and commercial awnings.If you like a trade that wont kill your back then this would be a good choice. Ive been at it now for over 30 years.sewing and welding and building frames on peoples houses. Its different every day and i dont usually have to go out of town. except when those half a million dollar sailboats need a custom cover.and then its only to rpchester from Niagara Falls. or Erie Pa.

• Like 2

I worked in a large, private engineering firm as a structural engineer for 13 years. Worked crazy hours. Large projects, deadlines and stress. It was fine and exciting when I was in my twenties and early thirties but when my daughter was born I decided I had enough and needed more time with my family. I now work as a project manger for design and construction for a state agency. I'd probably be making more money now if I stayed in the private sector but I probably would have lost my sanity. I work better hours now, better benefits, more time off and flexibility and my family is thankful for it.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

W I can't get them to show up for work. 

That is the one of biggest complaints I have heard from companies/industries. Making close to 100k/year and they flush their career down the drain by no shows. The other one is passing a drug test. In my area there is a lot of drugs on the street. 

I could be making a whole lot more money in construction than education but I enjoy what I do even if I have to deal with 150 young teens and their hormonal attitudes. Summers off isn't bad, if you're handy like me look into technology education. Basically a shop teacher, if you go to Oswego you could spend an extra year and get yourself a tech management degree. My buddy did tech management and does what Culver did as the project manager for a large firm in Syracuse. He makes bank but works a lot of hours unpaid (salary) I think he is making as much as myself and my wife combined (both of us are school teachers) but he has to put in the hours and the travel sucks. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, philoshop said:

If you love what you're doing it's not work. I would think that sacrificing a small bit of your own happiness for the sake of your family is not a sacrifice. There is always a balance.

A lot of people give this advice and I find it very easy to say and understand, but I also feel it's unrealistic. There is such a shortage of engineers at my company. But the work isn't glamorous. You may not leave the job each day feeling like you made a big difference, but you also wont feel miserable and sick. You'll have a fat paycheck to support your hobbies and family. I've always looked at it like this. If you're miserable, hate or sick to your stomach thinking about your job then leave. But if you can tolerate it to some degree and it pays well. Don't just go on the wellfares because you don't love it.

• Like 1

The gov tit is too good in this state! That's why no one wants to work entry level jobs and my taxes are so high. Don't even get me started on the massive fraud with work comp and disability as well. Makes insurance costs crazy as well.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Fletch said:

The gov tit is too good in this state! That's why no one wants to work entry level jobs and my taxes are so high. Don't even get me started on the massive fraud with work comp and disability as well. Makes insurance costs crazy as well.

As a paramedic and a manager I could tell you some stories... A lot of the laws this state has to protect those on welfare are unimaginable.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Zuke said:

As a paramedic and a manager I could tell you some stories... A lot of the laws this state has to protect those on welfare are unimaginable.

Many years ago ,my dad worked as a paramedic for an ambulance company in buffalo part time . He said they were told not to use anything but the bare essentials on anyone with out insurance .

A lot of people give this advice and I find it very easy to say and understand, but I also feel it's unrealistic. There is such a shortage of engineers at my company. But the work isn't glamorous. You may not leave the job each day feeling like you made a big difference, but you also wont feel miserable and sick. You'll have a fat paycheck to support your hobbies and family. I've always looked at it like this. If you're miserable, hate or sick to your stomach thinking about your job then leave. But if you can tolerate it to some degree and it pays well. Don't just go on the wellfares because you don't love it.

I agree, I don't like my job but I like the benefits, I like the guys I work with and I can deal with it until I can retire at 48yrs old.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

I agree, I don't like my job but I like the benefits, I like the guys I work with and I can deal with it until I can retire at 48yrs old.

Paying for my daughters college, I will be retired about 30 seconds after I face plant at work. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Northsox65 said:

I am Retired Military and now I am an Accountant for the USDA, I missed Many deer seasons when I was either Stationed Overseas or Deployed to the Big Sandbox. I have about 10 yrs to go before I can retire for the 2nd time and go hunting and fishing whenever I want!

Thank you for your service.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

Paying for my daughters college, I will be retired about 30 seconds after I face plant at work. 

LOL.  I will have the funeral home on standby when I finally do retire if I live to see the day.  I bet it won't be more than a week after my retirement before they are stretching me out in that aromatic pine box!   I've seen it happen to a number of people, too.  I guess some of us are not meant to have a life without working like slaves! 

On 11/2/2017 at 12:11 PM, Biz-R-OWorld said:

What hole? If it's late in the round, you are jacked up so you only need the 7.

What's the weather? What's the pin placement? too many variables!!

On 11/2/2017 at 12:08 PM, turkeyfeathers said:

174 yards. 14 mph into the face wind. Stock 7 and keep it low or a baby 6 iron with no spin ? Dude , were on the cut line.

BS... pull out the driver. don't over exert yourself. now just let it roll. nothing pretty but at the pin.  now lift your beer and own it ...just not too high so it's broadcasted for everyone to see.

• Like 2

grew up on family farm running and fixing equipment and other associated duties.  once a clerk at my grandfathers store. worked on immediate family owned apartments.  worked trades for my multiple uncles' carpentry and masonry construction businesses. after college i used my degree to be an electrical engineer/design consultant in the construction field. been almost 10 years doing the last one.  that's it so far at 34 yrs of age.

Currently work the state mental health department. I'll cap out at 50k in 6 years.

I've had a lot of jobs in 33years on this planet. Before this I was in banking (despised corporate America worklife) worked in fiber optic sales, manufacturing, food service General roofing construction, groundskeeping, building maintainence and I'm sure I'm forgetting some

Now that my wife is working (both kids in school) I have able to drop down to part time day shift so I can see my family more. I've spent the last 8 years working till 11pm and only 1 weekend off a month.

Now that I've dropped down I am trying to decide what I want to do, I'm either going back to school to finish my teaching degree or going for a trade.

I know I don't want to look back on my deathbed and feel that I worked a job I didn't care for , for 40 years.

Now to figure out what I'm gonna do.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• Like 1