The Reminder Buck

moog5050

Good for you Moog!

Two of my successively best bucks (well under 100 inches) were questioned by so-called friends. When I questioned back, "why wouldn't I shoot the best deer I've ever had that gave me a opportunity?", I was told that I just don't "get it".

Mind you, these were guests on my property who never pitched in and never paid a cent of taxes. They don't hunt here any longer.

That buck needs to mean something to you, not others.

I don't know you personally, but I feel very good that you took the deer that you wanted!

• Like 2

Congrats on the buck. Every situation is different. In the last 5 years or so, I try to hold out for older/bigger bucks but in 2012 I passed a 4pt on opening morning and was kicking myself afterwards, well he came back so I shot him. Typically on Thanksgiving, I will shoot any buck if I still have a tag. I have only killed 1 TG buck, but it's cool nonetheless to change your approach from time to time. The luxury of NY is that you get 2 buck tags and you get them every year. In other states that have better hunting, you may only get 1 tag, or in some cases only 1 tag every few years. Again, congrats!

PS - for fun, take a tape to this guy and tell us what he scores!

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld

Thanks for the refreshing story.  While I have killed some decent bucks in my hunting life, I have fallen into the same situation that you found yourself in.  The only thing that it did was make me feel too much pressure and anxiety.  I began enjoying myself much more when I stopped caring so much about antler size and other hunters choices and started paying attention to the moment at hand and the situations that I found myself in. 

Perfect example was a couple of week ago when I shot a spike horn within an hour of being on stand.  An hour total for the season, mind you.  I know that there are bigger bucks around, but at the moment it felt right to shoot the spike horn.  I was able to kill a doe with the same arrow/broadhead combination from the same stand that evening.  It was an epic day for sure and one of the best in all of my time hunting.  When I stopped being jealous or angry at others choices and success and stopped putting so much pressure on myself, I began to enjoy the hunt much more.  Nothing is guaranteed....Enjoy every sandwich....

• Like 3

I'm with ya. But this is my one year that I have been after a big one.  Usually I shoot a 4,5,6,7 every year.  But this year I got two early does in the freezer so am after a good one. Passed on a small 8 that would have been close to my biggest buck ever.  But really trying to hold out as have never gotten a wall hanger. Nice buck and congrats on a good hunting season. And I will prob end up with that 5 point like always and be very happy to get him!  

• Like 1

Thats awesome Moog and that is how all hunters should perceive hunting. I myself have been blessed with taking quite a few mature bucks. But like you, when i need meat or have any itchy finger, i will never make any excuses for shooting a young deer. I like you try not to loose perspective as to why i hunt. For me upmost, its about family, memories, enjoying nature and i really enjoy vension. Thank you bud for keeping it real. I commend you because most wont admit what you did, some feel its beneath them if they did. 

• Like 1

I'm a firm believer that the argument of mature Vs meat will never end, and I'm ok with it. I am set with MY style, no matter who says what. The reason is, a trophy to me is always going to be a trophy TO ME. Big buck, little buck, fawn or a button... Doesn't matter what, if I think it's a trophy, it's a trophy ! I applaud you for doing WHAT YOU WANT regardless of the antler size. We are lucky to have any opportunity at any deer and being able to appreciate that is step 1.

For what it's worth, every day I step in the deer woods I think of something I'm thankful for and usually say it out loud. I'm in the "mature only" club, and there are many times frustrations can set in. It is definitely important to take a step back and realize what's around you, and where your at and how "lucky" we truly are, big deer or no deer.

Hack a piece off that rack and make a necklace...

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Thanks for sharing, I often say pass and next yr he will be bigger but I rarely see the same buck on t cam the following season. So I sometimes wonder what the point is. Maybe if I had 500 acres I would see a difference but smaller properties are limited due to their range.

Wow! Congrats on your buck!  Nicely put into proper perspective!  Enjoy the moment out in the wilderness, and realize all the cool things that we see are a blessing from God.  I was all reved up this morning hunt cause I saw a slammer the other night in the swamp.  

This kinda makes me think again about the whole deal and relax more while out there and just enjoy the moment.  Had a nice little 5 pointer close to me twice this morning.  He's one of a pair of twin bucks that were hanging around our yard all summer.  It was just cool to see him out and about.  It's about the 4th time I've seen him from my blind this season. 

Again, thanks for the message Moog!

• Like 2

Awesome post Moog, and that's still a good looking buck I just think the guy holding it throws off the scale a little bit. Its like the reverse of a guy sitting well behind his deer making it look bigger to the camera!

In all seriousness though I think we all could use the same moment of self reflection that you had. You would have really hated yourself if you said what you thought out loud. 

• Like 2