What are your expectations for the season?

Robhuntandfish

I know we all say to have fun and be safe. But as far as taking deer what do you expect or try for? 

I always say I WILL take at least one deer be it buck or doe for the freezer.  But I always hope to take an early doe and then a buck 5 points or over.  If I get that early doe or two, I will try to make it a 7 point or better. Unless something makes me think to take a certain buck.  

Once gun starts I am much less picky unless I already have 3 in the freezer then I won't shoot anything but a nice buck. 

So I guess my expectations are one deer in the freezer and an opportunity at a buck of 5 points or better.

• Like 2

Well pulled cards today on 3 cameras that have been out for 4 weeks. Tons of does and a little  3 point. Plus side is when the rut kicks in hopefully all the doe will attract some bigger  bucks. Fingers crossed .. 

So first and foremost is getting my son his first deer, myself venison in the freezer is tops. My wife will not be hunting archery at all and gun is questionable, she still is nursing a messed up shoulder .  

• Like 1

I expect to get Turkeyfeathers set in good spot for a shot during archery and then him and his daughter for gun as they have doe tags.  I also hope the oldest member of camp gets a good opportunity at a shooter. Expect my.2 nephews to get a good opportunity to fill a tag during youth hunt.. as for myself I'll enjoy the company and stories.. hope someone gets a crack at a bear or two .. if we do then it will be 4 bear in 7 years off property.. that's kind of exciting if it happens.

• Like 7

Our venison supply is still pretty good, for this time of year, so I could probably get by with one large deer or a couple of average sized ones this season.   I have not seen many around home, but a "border-line" buck showed up here in fog behind the creek this morning, right at sunrise.   His antlers were fairly thick and extended kind of far forward, but were not quite as wide as his ears.  It was definitely a unique looking rack, that would make a nice euro.   I could not quite make out if there were 3 points on a side in the fog, but if there was then he would be a shooter for me.   The body looked to be a big 1.5 or possibly even a 2.5 year old.   In the first half of crossbow and gun seasons, he might get a pass, but he would be a shooter for sure in the second half.  

I am planning to get out after squirrels with my pellet gun, over at my folks place tomorrow, on the other side of WMU 9F.  They have been seeing quite a few deer over there, where I still need to reposition one hang-on stand.  It is currently in a good squirrel spot, but before dark, I am going to move it to a better deer spot.

My first hunts this season will be 1 day of crossbow, followed by 3 days of ML up in the northern zone.   I am hoping for a doe or button buck up there for my antlerless tag.   A buck would have to be a 2-1/2 year old or older, because I do not want to miss out on a chance at a bigger one with my crossbow at home.  Fortunately, there is a fair amount of Ag around my in-laws place up there, so the deer are just as tasty as those killed around the crop fields back home.   Punching that antlerless tag early up there would be great for our food supply.  If I have to choose between a mature doe and a button buck up there, I will go with the doe, because there is still a clear browse line around the lake which tells me that the local deer population is above optimum.    

It is a different story at home though, where does seem to be few and far between probably caused by relentless "nuisance" permit hammering by local farmers.   Since my venison supply is ok now, I will go for quality over quantity and give the button buck the first shot at home for a DMP tag, if an opportunity for an "either/or" pops up.   I will be a happy camper with one 2.5 year old or older buck and one avg doe or button buck this season.   I would be a bit happier with one more so I could give it to my brother-in-law.  He raises beef cattle and makes the best jerky from half ground venison and half ground beef.  He does not hunt and I let him down last year by blowing a couple of chances at does.    

Edited by wolc123

My biggest expectation this year, is to be with my grandson when he kills his first deer! This is his year!

Second, is to be hunting with Moog when he kills a giant at the end of October.

Lastly, I may go all or nothing, on a buck I've got a three year history with. He'll be five years old this season. And yes, he's still around. Last two years I've been within 30 yards of him, late season. But no buck tag.

I really don't need to kill anything, to have a great season.

• Like 4

I'd like to kill  two  1.5  year old deer for the freezer...  

Other than that, my goal is to have  a safe and enjoyable season, and hopefully  spend some enjoyable days on the property with my friends and perhaps see them kill a deer or two also...

Another bonus would be to see someone shoot one of the PITA bears running around up there....

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

Good point, Mike....A clean kill with every squeeze of the trigger is my goal....

That is always my goal also.   Other than with my crossbow, I did not do so good at that last season.  The buck I killed with my shotgun took three shots (fortunately those three hits did not wreck too much meat).  The bad hits there, and what I am 98 % sure was a clean miss later on a doe, were caused by a bad scope which I have now replaced.   A branch, that I did not see, saved another doe from my ML later. I really feel the need to get back on track.     

1 hour ago, doebuck1234 said:

Hoping to get a doe for the freezer.i havent got one in years,always ends up being a buck.hoping to connect with 8 or 10 ive seen running around and going to hold off as long as possible..will be my first mount!!

Going to quote myself on this one...taking one during bow season myself then top priority is get my dad to connect on his first deer in years during regular.my dad getting one would make my season even if i dont!

• Like 1