The Jerkman

LIVE From The Woods 2020 - Let's hear stories and see some pictures!

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, TheHornHunter said:

Finally getting back on the forum! It’s been a crazy year with work since COVID started and I’m sorry to all those that reached out about leasing... I’m just seeing those messages and didn’t intentionally ignore you so please don’t take it personally! I haven’t been out as much as normal and had planned to take two weeks off in November after a big work project but I was fortunate to harvest a beautiful public land buck (my #2 target) the day before my final presentation. It’s been pretty hard sitting out the rut lol but I’ve at least got all my stuff in order to hit the ground running Saturday. Rut still going strong in 8H/F, watched my #1 target tend a doe yesterday afternoon when I was pulling cards and seeing good cruising activity on the cams. Congrats to all those that have scored and good luck to you all trying to punch a tag before gun! Looking forward to contributing more on here going forward

Congrats HornHunter!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, buffalojay83 said:

Gonna let her chill out while I wait for her friends and or boyfrienda902af01acb9c6a7739574bdfc11f6f7.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
 

Congrats Buffalojay83 :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TheHornHunter said:

Finally getting back on the forum! It’s been a crazy year with work since COVID started and I’m sorry to all those that reached out about leasing... I’m just seeing those messages and didn’t intentionally ignore you so please don’t take it personally! I haven’t been out as much as normal and had planned to take two weeks off in November after a big work project but I was fortunate to harvest a beautiful public land buck (my #2 target) the day before my final presentation. It’s been pretty hard sitting out the rut lol but I’ve at least got all my stuff in order to hit the ground running Saturday. Rut still going strong in 8H/F, watched my #1 target tend a doe yesterday afternoon when I was pulling cards and seeing good cruising activity on the cams. Congrats to all those that have scored and good luck to you all trying to punch a tag before gun! Looking forward to contributing more on here going forward

d49e28db6fd9e2382a3aead42311f6f1.jpg

8599faa2236f25afe009f3c5f268a9ca.jpg

46039f44f6e5c9f65669c7c3eeec21db.jpg


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congrats sir on your harvest :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Congrats HornHunter. Finally getting back out this afternoon looking to fill some doe tags. Good luck to everyone out.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Live from the butcher shop... 

A consistent temp of 40-42 means I’ll hang my buck for at least a week.  The doe  was killed 4 days ago and she’s getting all my attention today. 

5D87D124-CE46-46D5-AE9E-DD799582FA21.jpeg

0D07791F-F333-4269-838B-6ABF27D49395.jpeg

Edited by johnplav
  • Like 20

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

41 degrees stout wind across my face in a little slice of 3S bow-only heaven. See if a horny fella wants to swing by for a magic hour dance.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rockin and rollin in windy 8H. Seems the deer are smarter than me and laying low. 

image.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just when you thought you've seen it all in the deer woods. I just had a hunter ride down the logging trail I'm sitting off from on a mountain bike with his gun slung over his shoulder. That's a new one for me. No deer spotted just bicycleist. To each their own.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Tughill Tamer said:

Just when you thought you've seen it all in the deer woods. I just had a hunter ride down the logging trail I'm sitting off from on a mountain bike with his gun slung over his shoulder. That's a new one for me. No deer spotted just bicycleist. To each their own.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
 

I used to do that on the farm trolling for coyotes, about 40 pounds  and 20 years ago.  My dad called me Charlie the Vietkong.  If it works.....

  • Like 1

'08 Bowtech Commander

GoldTip Hunter Expedition's w/ Rage 2 Blades

Remington 700 .308

Mossberg 500 Pump

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, johnplav said:

Live from the butcher shop... 

A consistent temp of 40-42 means I’ll hang my buck for at least a week.  The doe  was killed 4 days ago and she’s getting all my attention today. 

5D87D124-CE46-46D5-AE9E-DD799582FA21.jpeg

0D07791F-F333-4269-838B-6ABF27D49395.jpeg

That's great to hang them that long in those temps but folks should know that doing so WITHOUT the hide results in a fair amount of meat lost to trimming as the outer layer dries out PDQ.  After trimming it's perfect though..... :)

 

  • Like 2

Please support the hunting of Mourning Dove In New York State.  For information, visit nydovehunting.weebly.com/

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First sit in the new blind this afternoon. I was planning on saving this spot till gun season, then the wind started. It was awesome not to be out in that crazy wind and snow. Only a spike came into range, had a handful of does milling about no shots. 

Edited by SpacemanSpiff

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

That's great to hang them that long in those temps but folks should know that doing so WITHOUT the hide results in a fair amount of meat lost to trimming as the outer layer dries out PDQ.  After trimming it's perfect though..... :)

 

When the temps are right for a week or longer hang, I usually leave the hide on until the day prior to processing.  They don't dry up too much in 24 hours with it off.  That helps split up the workload a bit, because it is always more difficult to remove the hide from a deer that has hung for a while.

Also, even with the hide left on, remember to remove the tenderloins prior to the extended hang, because that hide dont do nothing to keep them from drying out.

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

When the temps are right for a week or longer hang, I usually leave the hide on until the day prior to processing.  They don't dry up too much in 24 hours with it off.  That helps split up the workload a bit, because it is always more difficult to remove the hide from a deer that has hung for a while.

Also, even with the hide left on, remember to remove the tenderloins prior to the extended hang, because that hide dont do nothing to keep them from drying out.

I would have added that I didn't want to overwhelm the members..........LOL

Your addition is spot on.  Then throw in the possibility of sub freezing temps and you come up with two more issues; if that hide freezes to the meat you're screwed, blued and tattoo'd.  You'll have to get the deer to thaw out and that can be a PIA.  Also, the aging process halts when frozen.


Please support the hunting of Mourning Dove In New York State.  For information, visit nydovehunting.weebly.com/

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Lawdwaz said:

I would have added that I didn't want to overwhelm the members..........LOL

Your addition is spot on.  Then throw in the possibility of sub freezing temps and you come up with two more issues; if that hide freezes to the meat you're screwed, blued and tattoo'd.  You'll have to get the deer to thaw out and that can be a PIA.  Also, the aging process halts when frozen.

We insulated our garage a few years ago and that has greatly simplified the process.  Prior to that I dealt with a few freeze ups.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4L - Up on the Plateau.  Bumped a group of deer (couldn't ID them all) on the way in after still hunting my way up to them.  I got to about 50 yards, before work started buzzing my phone, and I lost my patience, composure, and attentiveness.  I thought they had walked off, but they were feeding on the other side of hemlock saplings I couldn't see through, and jumped off when I started walking.

Sat up against some blow-down and saw a different group of does make their way across my backtrack about 50 yards from where I set up.  They circled a bit downwind of me, and caught me scent.  They didn't like it, pausing to lift their heads to sniff, and head-bobbing to try and see me, but they never blew out, nor ran off. 

So...  Lots of does, no bucks, and nothing in range at any rate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

I would have added that I didn't want to overwhelm the members..........LOL

Your addition is spot on.  Then throw in the possibility of sub freezing temps and you come up with two more issues; if that hide freezes to the meat you're screwed, blued and tattoo'd.  You'll have to get the deer to thaw out and that can be a PIA.  Also, the aging process halts when frozen.

Do u notice a big difference with the taste of meat hanging them that long?


Switching gears to habitat improvements!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My son was out early saw zip. Came in for lunch back in woods at 1 pm. Snowing and windy, he had three does and a small buck at @3 pm. Cold temps tomorrow hopefully changes his luck.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Zag said:

Do u notice a big difference with the taste of meat hanging them that long?

I rarely do it anymore.......I used to but I had the use of a couple coolers years ago and without them it's difficult.  My shed faces south and can really heat up so I usually butcher within a couple days.  AND, I grind almost everything but the backstraps and some stew meat. 

But is there a big difference, no.  Can it make a difference, yes I think so.  Years ago I had a friend (now deceased) and we hung deer for 14 days with the hide on and I think it helped quite a bit.

  • Like 2

Please support the hunting of Mourning Dove In New York State.  For information, visit nydovehunting.weebly.com/

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lawdwaz said:

That's great to hang them that long in those temps but folks should know that doing so WITHOUT the hide results in a fair amount of meat lost to trimming as the outer layer dries out PDQ.  After trimming it's perfect though..... :)

 

That doe had so much fat on her a$$... no meat drying out. 

 

D2BE2C78-39DA-4D93-93D8-063B75D8E90B.jpeg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, johnplav said:

That doe had so much fat on her a$$... no meat drying out. 

 

D2BE2C78-39DA-4D93-93D8-063B75D8E90B.jpeg

Trimming off all that external fat is always part of my "day before processing" work, in addition to removing the hide.  Does always have lots of it, which is why I much prefer butchering bucks.  It seems like does keep getting fatter, right thru the end of gun season, but bucks burn most of theirs off, by opening day.

Getting rid of most of that fat takes time, but makes for a lot better grind. It also keeps better in the freezer, if the fat is carefully removed, since fat is an oil that does not freeze. 

I will be testing that theory soon, because we are almost ready to start eating a doe that I killed on opening day of gun last year.  If I got enough of the fat off her, those vacuum-sealed packs should taste just as fresh now as they would have a year ago.

If I can score again on opening day this year, then it might be a while till I get to eating much of that doe from last year.  I always freeze the first deer of the year in zip lock bags, and eat that before the older vacuum-sealed stuff.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.