LIVE From The Woods 2021 Stories And Pictures Let's Have Em!

grampy

9 minutes ago, Lomax said:

No just took him to the processor who was severely backed but does a great job.  Didn’t want to bother him to weigh him right then but would guess 160lbs a pretty stout 3 yr old me thinks.  
Here’s a snapshot of how busy they are after 1 day. 

B1FA41F1-7A17-4C90-A44F-01335077D4F4.jpeg

17A908F2-000D-487B-A121-EF5154918672.jpeg

9088191C-E27A-4C7A-B4F7-F82273BAF817.jpeg

C3AA208D-23A3-468A-828C-80EEC9FADA9C.jpeg

Seeing these pictures makes me glad that we cut up our own deer. 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

I shot, just after 4pm tonight. Over the hill from ya at the farm.
BIG buck. Small hole, that I tried to get the bullet through the cover. Didn't see any sign of a hit. Will be going in the morning to look more thoroughly. 

Best of luck! If you need a hand I can be there in an hour.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, grampy said:

I shot, just after 4pm tonight. Over the hill from ya at the farm.

BIG buck. Small hole, that I tried to get the bullet through the cover. Didn't see any sign of a hit. Will be going in the morning to look more thoroughly. 

Good luck in the morning.

• Thanks 1

20211122_105339.thumb.jpg.2ca050cee5c4d554d2195415083f8925.jpg

My hunting partner got a buck this morning. Two year old 8pt. He's very happy to get one after the dismal bow season we've had! And of course I'm happy for him too!

I'm getting closer. Have seen deer every sit since Saturday. All very close to, or in thick cover. But no shooter seen. 

Up with a kidney stone last night, so I got a late start. Helped my partner get his buck hung and skinned. Then headed out myself around noon.

Hunted a ground blind that hasn't been hunted in year's. Had a hunch? Just after 4 I'm thinking I won't see anything here. I turn to my right, and notice something that I didn't remember seeing before? Looked like a big dark blob. I soon figured out it was a deer, and it was looking at me about 50 yards away. Could see its body facing me, but not the head very well, because it was in the thick stuff. When it did move, to go deeper in the nasties, I thought I saw rack but seriously couldn't be sure it it was doe ears, or antler?? When I did see it was a very nice buck, I had no shot!!! So I got up from the blind and started stalking him. I could see him walking, so I tried to parallel him, all the time searching for a lane to shoot! Finally, after stalking 40 or 50 yards through brush myself, around, and through blowdowns. I came to a tree and leaned into it, looking for a hole to shoot through! I found one just ahead of where the buck was walking. But it was a very small one. I figured I'd either drop him, or miss him completely. The buck was now about 75 yards away in THICK cover, about to walk over a slight dip and out of sight. When he hit the opening, I held a steady rest against the tree and fired. At the shot, he whirled 180 degrees and took off fast. I lost sight of him quickly. By now the first shades, of the grey light of twilight was starting to fall in this normally dark place in the woods.

I went after just a few short minutes to where the buck stood at the shot. I could see the scuffed up leaves where he whirled around. I looked for hair or blood, any sign of a hit. I didn't see any. I followed the direction he went for 60 yards or so very slowly looking for any sign of a hit. Nothing. But...by now true darkness was falling. 

After texting my buddy, we decided the best thing to do would be to back out and check more thoroughly in the morning. After looking through that small hole I shot through, my gut tells me my shot was likely deflected. But I also clearly saw him in my scope. I don't normally take shots like this. I know better. But my senses were keen as I stalked him on his turf. He's likely out there looking for another girlfriend right now. But I will be 100% sure of the outcome of or encounter tomorrow. 

Sorry for the long post. Writing it helped me sort out everything in my mind.

• Like 29

14 minutes ago, grampy said:

My hunting partner got a buck this morning. Two year old 8pt. He's very happy to get one after the dismal bow season we've had! And of course I'm happy for him too!

I'm getting closer. Have seen deer every sit since Saturday. All very close to, or in thick cover. But no shooter seen. 

Up with a kidney stone last night, so I got a late start. Helped my partner get his buck hung and skinned. Then headed out myself around noon.

Hunted a ground blind that hasn't been hunted in year's. Had a hunch? Just after 4 I'm thinking I won't see anything here. I turn to my right, and notice something that I didn't remember seeing before? Looked like a big dark blob. I soon figured out it was a deer, and it was looking at me about 50 yards away. Could see its body facing me, but not the head very well, because it was in the thick stuff. When it did move, to go deeper in the nasties, I thought I saw rack but seriously couldn't be sure it it was doe ears, or antler?? When I did see it was a very nice buck, I had no shot!!! So I got up from the blind and started stalking him. I could see him walking, so I tried to parallel him, all the time searching for a lane to shoot! Finally, after stalking 40 or 50 yards through brush myself, around, and through blowdowns. I came to a tree and leaned into it, looking for a hole to shoot through! I found one just ahead of where the buck was walking. But it was a very small one. I figured I'd either drop him, or miss him completely. The buck was now about 75 yards away in THICK cover, about to walk over a slight dip and out of sight. When he hit the opening, I held a steady rest against the tree and fired. At the shot, he whirled 180 degrees and took off fast. I lost sight of him quickly. By now the first shades, of the grey light of twilight was starting to fall in this normally dark place in the woods.

I went after just a few short minutes to where the buck stood at the shot. I could see the scuffed up leaves where he whirled around. I looked for hair or blood, any sign of a hit. I didn't see any. I followed the direction he went for 60 yards or so very slowly looking for any sign of a hit. Nothing. But...by now true darkness was falling. 

After texting my buddy, we decided the best thing to do would be to back out and check more thoroughly in the morning. After looking through that small hole I shot through, my gut tells me my shot was likely deflected. But I also clearly saw him in my scope. I don't normally take shots like this. I know better. But my senses were keen as I stalked him on his turf. He's likely out there looking for another girlfriend right now. But I will be 100% sure of the outcome of or encounter tomorrow. 

Sounds like a very exciting hunt nonetheless! I hope you find him dead in the morning. Good luck. Congratulations to your buddy on the great buck. 

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, grampy said:

Out of likes but I enjoyed reading the story. I have a feeling you’ll be seeing him again soon, and with a different outcome!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Sigh of relief.....I am now off til next Monday. Needed a vacation. Still not an official whole week but I haven't taken a whole week off in over 10 years.  Going to hunt and just enjoy it.  Hopefully even run into a buck out there.  

Couple of inches of snow Tonite too. Wed and Thurs weather looks great. 

Wait. I had you in pool last week.  Sigh lol 

• Like 1

Sigh of relief.....I am now off til next Monday. Needed a vacation. Still not an official whole week but I haven't taken a whole week off in over 10 years.  Going to hunt and just enjoy it.  Hopefully even run into a buck out there.  

Sometimes ya just gotta take a day or two to recharge! You’ve been going at it hard this season! I’m sure your efforts will pay off!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Swamp_bucks said:

What did you have done with the bear?

Asked for a shoulder mount like this one I found on the Internet, he is giving me the skull so i can clean it myself and saving the claws for my son, he wants to make necklaces. 

FBA4BFFD-B5CA-4F76-87F9-DB010775F3A3.jpeg

• Like 12

Almost 6 inches here in my side of 8F. Truck is warming up and im getting some gear on. Headed to a honey hole thats been untouched since September. Shot a beautiful ten point there two years ago. We put up a new blind there right before the early doe season. Figured wife and I can both fit. Ill just bring my .44 for close shots. Trying to get her a deer. Good luck to all out this wintery day

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Hock3y24 said:

Asked for a shoulder mount like this one I found on the Internet, he is giving me the skull so i can clean it myself and saving the claws for my son, he wants to make necklaces. 

FBA4BFFD-B5CA-4F76-87F9-DB010775F3A3.jpeg

Most bear mounts I haven't really cared for. But I really like that one. Incredible year for you

• Like 1

10 hours ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Quick pop another primer in ? I had that happen last day of ml few years ago on a really nice 8 at 25 yards. I panicked and forgot to pop another primer in. I grab Rod and pull breech plug and cleared it then clanking Rod on platform of stand. He was still standing there til the instant I raised gun again. 

I tried but the doe stood at 18 yds watching me. I could not do it without moving too much for her taste.

Fantastic and well deserved! I expect the Breakfast thread to be blown up!!!! Enjoy and knock down a slammer!

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, SpacemanSpiff said:

Almost 6 inches here in my side of 8F. Truck is warming up and im getting some gear on. Headed to a honey hole thats been untouched since September. Shot a beautiful ten point there two years ago. We put up a new blind there right before the early doe season. Figured wife and I can both fit. Ill just bring my .44 for close shots. Trying to get her a deer. Good luck to all out this wintery day

Fresh snow and it is quiet out here in 8f. Very few fresh tracks in the snow hopefully they were waiting for daybreak to start cruising. Good luck!!

• Like 1

If you’re having a bad morning, this will make you laugh. I washed a bunch of my shit yesterday which means nothing is where it’s supposed to be and I always just wear a ball cap in so I don’t sweat. I keep and extra hat in my pack and I stuff my face mask in my pant pocket.

I have neither with me so I’ve cinched my hand warmer around my ears and cinched down my hood Kenny from South Park style. At least it isn’t windy!

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

2-3 inches of snow. A bunch of fresh tracks off the lawn in the thick up by the houses on way in. 28 out. I musta been a little excited about the snow as I was in stand at 5:42 Jeeze. It was the first morning I could actually see at legal 6:38 to shoot. Hoping some get up and wander by before I gotta bail for work.
0ff54a827e6278da291173ea3668a4aa.jpg
I’m I’m

• Like 3