LIVE From The Woods 2021 Stories And Pictures Let's Have Em!

grampy

I haven’t gutted any big game except whitetails in the last 15 years or so. Try again.

Edit : I gut lopes as well as you can alway almost drive up to pick them up

So you let the ungutted whole animal sit or you butchered using the gutless method and put into game bags

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got to love how the cancel culture  has invaded a hunting forum... always the same ones stirring the pot  arguing opinions... then scream lock it up . 
Personally I could care less ... I just ignore the thread or the trouble makers . 
Gramps always said common sence ,common courtesy, and common respect made for a civil society.  Attributes in people lost on todays society.  
He also said you can't argue opinions. That's a hopless cause.  

Got to love how you are trying to bring the political crap into the main forum. Also I don’t care what he does with his deer but I teach food safety and that isn’t safe.

Again more of some fools reading shit into something that’s not their. In their own petty little minds. But glad you can relate those awesome mature bucks with me.     

What reason would you post a friend of a friends buck with no context.

Next time I’m in cables I’ll be sure to take a pic of one of the mounts and post it in the taxidermy thread.

We will see how many congrats I get

• Like 4

Just now, Chef said:

What reason would you post a friend of a friends buck with no context.

Next time I’m in cables I’ll be sure to take a pic of one of the mounts and post it in the taxidermy thread.

We will see how many congrats I get emoji1787.png

Maybe you should go back like the others and read the context that picture was put in. Then you might get it. And how many other people on this site put up pics of friends big Whitetails?  Is this not a hunting site?  I will tell you the same as the others. Go back and show 1 word in that post that said anything about who killed that buck. As you can see. The others failed tucked and ran. Just more typical people reading crap into posts that is not even there. 

Looking like Saturday will be my last hunt for the year in PA.  As long as everything goes right I'm hoping to spend all next Saturday on stand hoping for a late season buck.  Saw a couple decent bucks the last day of rifle so I'm hoping they are still around. Never got around to putting a camera up down there so not sure what's still running around.

Morning sit will be on one piece on a travel route to bedding the night sit will be over a food plot where a friend shot at a buck last day of rifle. 

Then I'll be switching to grouse hunting/shed hunting.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Swamp_bucks said:

Looking like Saturday will be my last hunt for the year in PA.  As long as everything goes right I'm hoping to spend all next Saturday on stand hoping for a late season buck.  Saw a couple decent bucks the last day of rifle so I'm hoping they are still around. Never got around to putting a camera up down there so not sure what's still running around.

Morning sit will be on one piece on a travel route to bedding the night sit will be over a food plot where a friend shot at a buck last day of rifle. 

Then I'll be switching to grouse hunting/shed hunting.

Wow. Didn't know the PA season was still going.  That's great. Good luck.  Had a buddy near Binghamton that used to jump NY to PA for hunts all the time. Multiple opening days or options.  He said he used to love it.  

3 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Wow. Didn't know the PA season was still going.  That's great. Good luck.  Had a buddy near Binghamton that used to jump NY to PA for hunts all the time. Multiple opening days or options.  He said he used to love it.  

It goes till the 17th

2 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Yea they go until the 17th

14 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

It goes till the 17th

Thought several times about trying bear hunting there but just don't have or want to put the time in for all the scouting I know I would have to do. Would have to do like you are are scout ahead of time of bunch before I felt comfortable with a hunt.  But so many other things in the summer with fishing and deer season land prep. And now this year some duck hunting prep.  

Edited by Robhuntandfish

I am sorry and I meant no offense. I agree that some of the others are overreacting a touch.  I only asked about the tenderloins, because several members here have mentioned that they are not overly fond of that cut.  I usually find them to be the best-tasting part of the deer. 

The only ones, that I wasn’t thrilled with, were those from a probable 5.5 year old plus doe that I killed up in the Adirondacks last October.  One of those was so tough, I could barely chew it when cooked the day after she was killed.  The other was still a little chewy, after 6 days in the fridge.
I go to extra lengths, to make sure those tenderloins taste as good as possible.  Step one is a quick, clean kill.  Step two is to get the guts out ASAP (butt out helps with that).  Step three is cut the pelvis with a folding saw and make sure the channel is wide open and clear of all piss and shit.  Step four is rinse them good with clean blood from forward of the diaphragm.  

When I get the gutted deer hung up, I dry them off with paper towels, cut then out, put them in a zip lock bag, then into the fridge in the house.  If they are from a button buck, they can be eaten right away.  If they are from an older deer, they are better after a few days, so that the rigor mortis can pass.  

These from the 3.5 year old corn-fed buck that I killed this year were about the best tasting and textured ones that I can recall, after 6 days in the fridge.
I think the reasons most have not liked the tenderloins is: first, they are eating them near the state of maximum rigor-mortis, which peaks 6 to 8 hours after the kill. Second, they are tainted with piss, shit, or gut-juice.  
Congrats on that beauty of a buck, that you killed at the buzzer this year.  Hopefully,  you get to enjoy his tenderloins and they taste real good.  

72DBD3DD-2F05-4F88-987A-4068F1DB19DB.thumb.jpeg.d62db47abb175c65b11df41c5308825f.jpeg
CD5EC975-1DC7-457E-A412-A2BA7FBCA544.thumb.jpeg.90c57b3dfc8c31ef2371d6c9344aaa17.jpeg
B5F7DEAA-C6F7-46B6-8CF4-C0B19484DA0C.thumb.jpeg.2adaef10726fd66121da2cdf4054b18c.jpeg
C8CCA702-FEF5-4A6B-8CB2-36019BA31315.thumb.jpeg.fdb13a55e088ef66bb70cf927ee2c9a9.jpeg
784CD545-8AA1-41EA-B446-8E04083385F3.thumb.jpeg.439d2267c28ad77be4c9eacd145f5516.jpeg

This was the tough old Adirondack mother:
3B76494E-6201-4582-A84E-336DC983D8D9.thumb.jpeg.96c0568a5028a8c4ba355938c09e277b.jpeg
I had the rest of her ground up there (except for the back straps) and we have not started eating any of that yet.  Hopefully it’s not as chewy as the tenderloins were.
Many folks talk about pursuing a particular buck, but that old doe outwitted me more times over the last 3 years , than any buck that I have chased. 

No need to be sorry bud. I love the tenderloins. I have two bad experiences; one I liver shot and the other was a big old doe way past her prime. Both were edible but gamey. I’ve never had a bad one off a buck I’ve killed, even 5+ year olds

21 hours ago, Lawdwaz said:
It was done on purpose.   

Hung high for the neighbors to enjoy in the subdivision.   

Temperatures were in the high 40’s by 7:30am
And again, it was dead at the shot.  “Destroyed the heart”.   

17 hours-give or take with the entrails in.  It’s a hard pass for me.  

You are one sorry excuse for a human let alone a hunter. Take your petty bs somewhere else. I never asked for your opinion.

Absolutely loved this holiday season.  5 guys and 10 doe taken. Everyone seen several shed bucks, and several that still had their headgear. All were passed up.  Buddy from Maine filled his two bow/ML tags and a DMP that was signed over to him. Myself and two others downed two doe each, and another buddy took 1 doe.  

Had a bunch of fun and filled the freezers.  All of us could have filled our tags long before this holiday season, but we were being selective. Lots of deer in my area, and we hardly put a dent in the heard. Friday I had 15+ deer in the field I was hunting.  Hopefully Columbia county will opt in again next yr. Despite what a some on here described those hunting this season as bad hunters, because we needed the extra week to see and kill deer, well I guess I'm a bad hunter then. 

• Like 3

Just writing about your attitude in general on this site.  Pound your chest, you're the best, nobody else can do what do, look down on people with less time, drive, opportunity or experience.  To top it off you try to tell other hunters why they hunt. Maybe you don't realize you're doing it.  Maybe you're just a dick.  Dunno.  

I think some of what you said is fair, but I look at more of a challenge to brown it’s down crowd.

Many on this site don’t want ARs, and the DEC would rather not put them in place but as a state we’re headed there if we don’t do a little better.

PS I find it totally fine to criticize someone’s drive. The rest should be off limits though, I agree.

5 minutes ago, TheHornHunter said:

You are one sorry excuse for a human let alone a hunter. Take your petty bullshit somewhere else. I never asked for your opinion.

You didn't have to ask my opinion, bud.  This is a public forum last I checked.......

You posted a picture of something only a rank amateur would do OR someone with a stage name like "HornHunter" might do as they had no regard for venison.  It is quite evident you are the one full of bullshit. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Four Seasons said:

Like I told you before.  Anytime you want to compare seasons bring your poodle to the task. 

You loose credibility when you post a friend of a friends deer. Good luck next year. Maybe you can get a free range one that will not disappoint you.

• Like 1

So you let the ungutted whole animal sit or you butchered using the gutless method and put into game bags

There are going to plenty of times if you hunt enough places and animals that you might have to wait till the morning to make your recovery. Doesn’t mean that in every case the meat will be bad. There are lots of considerations. Distilling something like meat care in neat little boxed answers is fine in the kitchen but may not work so well out in the back county. Every case and situation is going to be different .
By taking a nuanced topic without understanding or thinking about the variables isn’t doing anyone a service. There is lots of gray out there that you have to wade though to get to right decision.

When you make it a point to only hunt the best of the species and can stand in the ring with them it’s not a problem taking a second choice. I also had another great enjoyable, successful year with great memories. And still was able to get the top prizes. After 45 deer seasons I think I know all about the hunting phases. Thanks 

I wouldn’t of figured you to be 61 years old.

Happy New Year

• Thanks 1