Who's not even close to ready.....

mowin

Bought arrows that need to be cut down. Bought fixed blade broadheads for the first time in 20+ yrs because I'm only pulling 42lbs. Haven't even looked at my bow. Haven't looked or changed straps on my 6 ladder stands. 

I did get my first food plots done last week. My nephew's have been shooting for a couple months, so if these plots do good I'm hopeful they benefit from them. 

• Like 1

I'm def behind in some bow shooting practice.  Changed out peep and biscuit and it needed some tweaking after.  But honestly the skeeters have been so bad it's tough to shoot. I don't shoot a lot before season usually anyway but feel like I am behind what I should be.  

But also thinking the skeeters are so bad here that the early season is gonna be about impossible to sit still anyway til we see a frost. 

• Like 1

Considering I can hunt tomorrow morning I’m really really not close!

Also not close for bow either. Peep site is still off the bow. I wanted to do some paper tuning but that won’t happen. All the gear is still is the storage totes. I’ve only shot about 8 arrows but at least those 8 where solid

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

I'm def behind in some bow shooting practice.  Changed out peep and biscuit and it needed some tweaking after.  But honestly the skeeters have been so bad it's tough to shoot. I don't shoot a lot before season usually anyway but feel like I am behind what I should be.  

But also thinking the skeeters are so bad here that the early season is gonna be about impossible to sit still anyway til we see a frost. 

Thermocell has been the only way for my wife and I to shoot . 

With all the rain, I figured the bugs would be brutal. Been sitting outside the past few evening's with no issues. 

Doing my food plots however was a different story. I couldn't believe the skeeters and other bitting bugs while on the tractor. 

9 minutes ago, rob-c said:

Thermocell has been the only way for my wife and I to shoot . 

3 minutes ago, mowin said:

With all the rain, I figured the bugs would be brutal. Been sitting outside the past few evening's with no issues. 

Doing my food plots however was a different story. I couldn't believe the skeeters and other bitting bugs while on the tractor. 

This year is the worst I have ever seen. I'm a trout fisherman from way back and been in some bugs but this is just ridiculous bad.  Was mowing the lawn Tonite and just hundreds of them would come out of the grass as I mowed. 

• Like 2

I'm 4 weeks from my annual boar hunt . I haven't fired a handgun in months . Relaoding this weekend and every weekend for next three weeks . Range time on Sundays.  I like to have 1000 rounds or more through the revolvers by this time .  I will be happy  with 500  between the 41,44,45,and 480. Will do more practice with the single six  22. Just get some trigger time . Work just gets in the way of all good things.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

This year is the worst I have ever seen. I'm a trout fisherman from way back and been in some bugs but this is just ridiculous bad.  Was mowing the lawn Tonite and just hundreds of them would come out of the grass as I mowed. 

My username gives away what I do for a living. 

This week I've had multiple bugs in my eyes behind my sunglasses, when I could wear them. Other times, I was wiping bugs from the corner of my eyes. 

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Was on the suckyhanna river musky fishing the other night. Only lasted about 5 min before i ran back to the car skeeters were coming out in literal  clouds.  Looked like i was in Canada. 

Yea I'm ready minus clothes being washed and practicing with my stand.  I'm down to my one arrow a day just pick different distances out to 30yrds and angles and shoot.  I do need to practice shooting sitting down but if I have to sit to shoot they will be close.  I can't shoot sitting very well. 

I'm not ready for PA besides scouting and buying tags.  Need to start packing a little bit each week because it's coming up fast.

Otherwise it's time to get into the woods. 

• Like 2

Bought arrows that need to be cut down. Bought fixed blade broadheads for the first time in 20+ yrs because I'm only pulling 42lbs. Haven't even looked at my bow. Haven't looked or changed straps on my 6 ladder stands. 
I did get my first food plots done last week. My nephew's have been shooting for a couple months, so if these plots do good I'm hopeful they benefit from them. 
42lbs are you using a kids bow?

https://www.instagram.com/thejerkman

#JerkmanCustoms
#WeDemandUnlimitedLikes

In years past I thought I had to shoot my bow a lot before the season.  So I would start shooting 3-4 nights a week in like June or July.  If I didn't do that I would get anxious and feel unprepared and doubt myself when an opportunity came up.  Opening day of the 2019 and 2020 seasons were years where I didn't shoot a bunch before the opener.  I got all mentally jammed up and missed deer on opening day both seasons because of it.

Now I've come to realize that I know how to shoot after 7 or 8 years of doing it.  I'm comfortable out to 30 yards first time I pick up a bow, and I only need to shoot a lot if I want to increase my effective range.  So now I shoot once or twice to make sure the sights are still good to go, or if I get new broadheads of a different weight, and that's all.  And I will only shoot at deer out to 30 yards.

But I am still unprepared ha.  I bought a saddle and ring-of-steps over the winter and haven't practiced going up a tree and getting fully set up.  I need to, and will, do that before the season opener.

I don't mind walking five or six miles into the woods in 80 degree heat (which it usually is, and looking like it will be this year on 9/27) to get to where I want to hunt.  But to do that and then be trying to figure out a new system quickly and quietly, when I'm all tired and sweating and cursing up a storm under my breath, dangling from the tree by my linesman belt, all within 70-80 yards of where I expect deer to be bedded, is just a no-go for me.  I gets me instantly right out of the mood.  So I have to go in the back yard and practice.

Edited by ognennyy
  • Like 1

1 arrow an end, 1-3 arrows per shooting session at this point.

I have become much more comfortable with making that first arrow count. Yesterday, I did shoot 10 arrows, mostly because I was unable to shoot for a few days this past week. 9 of 10 were quality. The lone flyer in my defense I had a skeeter get into my ear at full draw, lol. Barely hit the target on that one at 30 yards. Back to a few arrows 4-5 days/week.

Only have one of our two Ohio farms with huntable stands. The second will be worked on. Definitely behind. Calendars were not friendly this year.

We did get one of our three properties here in NY ready to go. That one is our likely opening afternoon spot any how. 

Also need to get a scope on my 350 L and get her dialed in along with the .243 now that is also broken in. H&R Slug is ready to go as is the MZ.

We will be in a stand on the 25th. Will be glassing quite heavily here in NY starting end of next week. The shifts are really in progress now.

Edited by phade

13 minutes ago, ognennyy said:

In years past I thought I had to shoot my bow a lot before the season.  So I would start shooting 3-4 nights a week in like June or July.  If I didn't do that I would get anxious and feel unprepared and doubt myself when an opportunity came up.  Opening day of the 2019 and 2020 seasons were years where I didn't shoot a bunch before the opener.  I got all mentally jammed up and missed deer on opening day both seasons because of it.

Now I've come to realize that I know how to shoot after 7 or 8 years of doing it.  I'm comfortable out to 30 yards first time I pick up a bow, and I only need to shoot a lot if I want to increase my effective range.  So now I shoot once or twice to make sure the sights are still good to go, or if I get new broadheads of a different weight, and that's all.  And I will only shoot at deer out to 30 yards.

But I am still unprepared ha.  I bought a saddle and ring-of-steps over the winter and haven't practiced going up a tree and getting fully set up.  I need to, and will, do that before the season opener.

I don't mind walking five or six miles into the woods in 80 degree heat (which it usually is, and looking like it will be this year on 9/27) to get to where I want to hunt.  But to do that and then be trying to figure out a new system quickly and quietly, when I'm all tired and sweating and cursing up a storm under my breath, dangling from the tree by my linesman belt, all within 70-80 yards of where I expect deer to be bedded, is just a no-go for me.  I gets me instantly right out of the mood.  So I have to go in the back yard and practice.

Amen to practicing with your new equipment.  I got into the saddle last year and practiced a bunch before the season.  It still took me well into the season before I was quiet and efficient with it,but I also had to learn two new climbing methods. 

My bow is fully dialed in,bareshaft broadhead and fieldpoints hitting together at 30 yds.  Come on Oct.1st. 

Bow shooting great. Everything is ready to go. Home early from doctors today, so will go down to the reloading bench. Same recipe as last year.

Lake property is usually pretty good early season.  The farm, not much happens until mid to late October. We have some work planned up there for early to mid Oct. So likely won't be hunting much before that's done? 

• Like 1

I am wayyyy behind this year! Should have had everything done by now! Feeling the pressure, I over did it with my right arm and wrist 2 weeks ago and F'd it up pretty good. The doc says it's not broke, but sprained. In a splint and taking it easy. That's what I get for procrastinating!! This week and weekend is shot, as my son is getting married on Saturday. That leaves me with one weekend to get everything done. Still need to put up at least 2 more stands, trim stands, shoot new broadheads, and get things together. I'm not gonna sweat it too much if I'm not done by 10/1 though, as I haven't gotten any good prospects on cam in the past month. 

Went down today, moved two,ladders , put one up , that required a lot of chainsaw work to get into a thicket edge . That will be a gun stand to cover  a field and some mowed paths , there still needs to be some trimming there . The other is sitting on the ground near where bucks would cross a bean field in the past and enter the rear of the woods .

Ill,need a couple sits on that field to pin down where they cross .

A couple more shooting sessions with BHs and I’ll be set .

• Like 3