Growing Up-Your BBGun?

Lawdwaz

I had a Crossman 760 as a kid in the 70’s and put thousands (?) of rounds down the barrel.   She got kind of sloppy over time and I had to perform some hack repairs on it. 

I had a ball with it and only wish I could tell all the things I did with it.  :)

What was your bbgun or pellet gun of choice?

Edited by Lawdwaz
  • Like 3

Had a daisy first at like 8 and then a crossman. My Dad got me one at camp and said dont tell your mother. Had it for like 3 years and then one Xmas she told my Dad she was getting me a BB gun. Dad told me and said he told her I already got him one for Xmas so tell her about it after Xmas. He even wrapped it as his house to be a smart ass. Lol

Spent hours in the woods chasing red squirrel. And the tails went in am envelope to Mepps for lures.

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

Daisy bb gun when I was 4. Shot the heads off alot of dandelions in the back yard. Crossman 760 pump when I was 10 . Use to practice shooting acorns off the tree in gramps back yard . Killed a pheasant  with the 760 while stalking chipmunks down along the swamp edge. I was probably 11. Gramps was impressed but not real happy. I do remember him saying that it was nice eating bird as it had no shot to pick around . Head shot . Bet I shot a million bb's and pellets  through thos guns . 

th?id=OIP.E2OoHuwXV9XFTYSOBXCpwwHaFj&pid=Api&P=0

Man could I shoot this thing !  Had a range in basement growing up. Had pellet deflector filled with sand. Could cut string with a washer tied at end, light Ohio blue tip matches, shoot through key holes. A lot of bunnies met their end to this one. Used to skip school in the winter if starlings were huddling around top of neighbors chimney. Few times killed 2 with same shot and yes a few times they'd fall into said chimney. 

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, blackbeltbill said:

I still have my BB- Gun. She still works. Been in my Gunsafe many years now. Not much to look at. She has been through the mill- lol!

20220806_131847.jpg

Looks like Ol Bes is missing a forend Mr Schmidt.   Is that a Red Ryder?

I got a grey crossman pellet gun as a kid. It had a scope and It was amazing for so many years in the backwoods. I killed countless critters. It worked off CO2 cartridges and I used pointed pellets. I would load the co2 down the front but not puncture until I laid eyes on the first kill or the day. Then I did the last turn to puncture it. Each shot after was less and less powerful. I think I got like 30 shots to a CO2. Off the top of my head i killed:

Raccoons, crows, squirrels, chipmunks, and a massive variety of bird species. I kept one coon skull and it had a bunch of pellets lodged in it everywhere. Pretty crazy.

I would wait till No cars in sight before running across the road to more patches or woods.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

5 hours ago, turkeyfeathers said:

th?id=OIP.E2OoHuwXV9XFTYSOBXCpwwHaFj&pid=Api&P=0

Man could I shoot this thing !  Had a range in basement growing up. Had pellet deflector filled with sand. Could cut string with a washer tied at end, light Ohio blue tip matches, shoot through key holes. A lot of bunnies met their end to this one. Used to skip school in the winter if starlings were huddling around top of neighbors chimney. Few times killed 2 with same shot and yes a few times they'd fall into said chimney. 

I still have mine somewhere.  Thing was accurate. 

• Like 1

I don't remember the model Daisy. But ya had to pump the stock 20 times. Killed chipmunks, birds, and a squirrel. Didn't have it but one summer until I moved up to a single shot 22 lr. Don't remember the brand or model of that either? Bought it 2nd hand from mowing grass and raking leaves. Fun times.

My first one was a Daisy pump.  I am not sure of the model.  You only could pump it one time.  It had a threaded insert, that went in the end of the barrel and held the bb’s.  My brother and I each had them, and mom would hide the inserts when she didn’t want us using them.

A couple times she “forgot” where they were hidden and we went days it weeks without them.  One of those times might have been after I let a friend carry my brothers as we walked along the creek bank one day and he accidentally killed a hen mallard duck with it.  

I had told him how I would hit ducks from over 100 yards away with mine and it would just aggravate them a little, but do no harm.  The creek ran almost perfectly straight behind our house, between our bridge and the neighbors, about 150 yards away.

I would sit on the middle of our bridge and hold my Daisy at about a 45 degree angle.  By watching the bb’s splash down on the still water, I could walk them in, until one landed square on the back of a duck, 100 yards away.  The struck duck would flap its wings a little, then go right back about it’s business, as if nothing had happened.

The problem with my friends shot is that it was taken from up high on the bank, at a downward angle, at a duck only 15 yards away.  The bb still had enough energy at that range to break the hen’s neck.  Mom heard about it and hid those inserts for quite a while. 

This incident happened almost 50 years ago.  I saw that friend at a party a few weeks ago and I asked him if he still remembered killing that hen.  He said that he did.  I don’t remember if I ever got the insert back for that old Daisy.  

My next BB gun was a few years later.  I think it was a Crossman nylon 766 or something like that.  You could pump it up to 10 times and it would take bbs or pellets.  It was way more powerful than my old Daisy.  

I received a red ryder at age 5 for Christmas. Few years later i stepped up to a Crosman powermaster 66. I hardly ever used bb’s in that thing. Always pointed pellets and pumped to the max, thought i was badass scope and all. When i turned 12 i was gifted a ruger 10/22, never shot the pellet gun again hahaha. 

I had the cross man that looked like a full fledged 1911. Not the modern day incarnation, the full weight fare adaptation.

I shudder to think what the world would say about me having one as a youngster. Did I do some questionable stuff with it? Big picture no, but I did a few times toss it in the backpack and ride bikes with the boys to a few forts in the woods to shoot up random stuff (in the woods) Got a few crows with it, pure luck. Never owned a long version and moved from that to shotties pretty early on. Even my .22 experience was limited until I was late teens.