Antler Restriction Poll

jjb4900

Agree, everyone wants to a shoot a big buck if possible.

Nope.  I'll take a nice fat doe for my freezer every time over a buck, especially a big one.  Of course, that's probably the reason I haven't filled a buck tag in ten years, and most likely won't in the near future as long as I can get DMPs

I have passed up many small bucks (anything under a six) and have gone home empty handed. I enjoy the meat but also enjoy a rack to go with the meat. We mostly mention the size of his racks being spotted, but continue to shoot shorty. Let shorty go and the racks will grow. If you need the meat, ok or harvest a doe.I am not a fan of gov intervention, but have for years let the small ones go voluntarily.

Disagree for statewide and disagree for private managed land.

Prefer using age a criteria - certainly more difficult, but much more of a payoff imo. I'd rather one or two 2.5 get stuck instead of say a 3.5 because of an aging mistake rather than setting a 4 a side rule and losing 1.5 basket 7/8s that make up about 25% of the 1.5 population in my neck of the woods.

• Like 4

I am firmly stuck on the fence..

on the one hand, my favorite hunting spot has antler restrictions and I love the results.. (Wouldn't bother me if they raised it to 4 on a side)...on the other hand, I hate government intervention in most things..I think we aught to be able to self govern ourselves in this matter..

See.. dam fence ..lol

• Like 1

Agree 

I feel they should allow more doe permits in area's with these restrictions so meat eaters can eat...  Kids excluded.  I don't like more regulations but regulations are what dictate herd control.  With out them states like Pennsylvania would still have no deer...  Now many are liking the beautiful racked deer that are a direct results of this type of management.  One thing I do not like is the fact that it will deter some unsuccessful hunters but new hunters (first year) should have any options available to keep them interested including youth hunters.  But this is coming from a trophy hunter...  If I was strictly a meat hunter I would object to ANY regulation that would stop me like 3 inches on one side, one buck and one doe bow, one buck for rifle, baiting, spotlighting, shooting next to my neighbors house, hunting at night, having a loaded gun in my vehicle, etc...