Lousy Day (Weekend) Plans?

Lawdwaz

I've got some running around to do; haircut, banking, reloading the 260Rem and a trip to North Tonawanda for a new "palm" handle for my ARE cap.  PIA thing has been a bit stiff for a year or two and I've tried to lube it a couple times but nothing helped.  Well it snapped the other day and now I need a new one..........

Wife & son are working, daughter is home for the weekend, dinner is my responsibility.  Daughter says, "hey, how about venison burgers for dinner?" 

After I got up off the floor I said OK, that would be great!! 

Tomorrow I hoping to check trail cams and do some shooting.

How's about YOU?  :)

• Like 1

I have been slipping in some hunting prep stuff, between things that need to be done around the house. 

May days have been something like,,put ladder stand together then cut grass. Touch up paint on climbers then fix door on shed. Shoot a few rounds with the bow then limb the low hanging branches away from the roof. And so on.

Todays project is to get a hold of the guy who hunts the same farm as me. Yesterday I drove by his place (which borders the farm) and saw a home made wooden blind, about 6x6 sitting on a trailer in his driveway. He wasn't home and didn't answer my calls. Im dying to know where he wants to put it.. Its driving me nuts!!

My weekend plan, beginning yesterday, was spending the day at the Annual old time steam engine show in Alexander, NY. Those old steam engine road graders, farm steam engines, One lungers, etc were cool to see in action. Amazing that these machines were the forerunners of things to come. Was planning to go today, but the prediction of rain today forced me to go yesterday. Nice show.

• Like 1

Was gonna camp with son and move and hang stands and setup two new t cams. Instead we stayed home and are just hanging out watching TV and playing games. Maybe I can convince him to go look for hunting boots for him and check prices on new vans for the wife. Tomorrow its all about football!!

Go Bill's and Giants

Edited by zag

That Alexander steam show is great and we would be there right now without the rain.   My first time was probably 40 years ago when my granddad brought me and my brother.   My ancestors ran a threshing business in this area using a couple old Rumely Oil-pull tractors.  I still have some of the old manuals for them and the threshers.  Old tractors are cool and we still have a few.  I still use granddad's old JD M at my folks place,  and a Ford 8N, Allis Chalmers C, and Farmall A at our place for food plot work.   Unfortunately, the Allis C is going to have to go soon, since the two old barns my great-great granddad built on our farm in 1883 are on their last leg, and the single pole-barn I plan to replace them won't fit so many tractors.  

Except for missing the show, I welcome that rain.   I managed to get the last of my logs dragged out of the woods yesterday afternoon before it started. I was pressed for time, so I used the modern, 4wd, diesel and left the "antiques" in the barn.  The wheat and brassicas were looking a little dry, but should take off after this rain, just in time to keep some fat does around for archery season.   I finally had some shop-time available to replace an oil-line and gauge on my old Ford 8N tractor.  I had been running it for a few weeks with a temporary plug installed, but I am much more comfortable running it while I can keep an eye on the oil pressure.  

This morning my wife and I also got to watch our daughter cheer part of her first football game.  Thankfully, they let them go home before halftime and before they got soaked thru too bad.  We were comfortable watching under the big golf umbrella we had won at a raffle earlier this year.  I also had time to do an on-line re-registration on my Professional Engineering license with NY state.  

It is supposed to rain again tomorrow morning while we are at church and Sunday school.  We will probably even make it out to the nursing home and visit our Aunt tomorrow.   I can't wait to show her some pictures of us using our deceased uncle's old boat oars up at my inlaw's camp this past holiday weekend.  His old rowboat was already sold when I made it to the estate sale, but I promised her there that I would try and put them oars to good use and think him every time I used them.    They actually worked so well on my father in-law's 14 ft aluminum rowboat, that it did not bother me much at all when his motor would not operate properly.    It is amazing how much more wildlife you see out on and around the lake at sunrise without the noisy outboard.   The beavers and turkeys were especially cool.   

• Like 1

I got my ammo loaded and decided I'd head to the range and test a couple loads.  Tossed all my stuff in the truck and headed out.  Got a few miles from home and noticed the wind was a bit stiffer than I originally thought.  The rain doesn't bother me as it's a covered bench but the wind was just too much. 

Truck latch: check

Hair cut: check

Bank:check

Reload for the 260Rem:check

Oh well, a cup of T Horton's java and I'm thinking up a plan to finish up the day................... :)

• Like 3

This is the second weekend at the new house. Settling in nicely. But still have a bunch of pictures and stuff to hang . Then I need to get down stairs to set up my music studio and after that my hunting gear needs to be organized. Started yard work early this morning and finised at about 4pm.

Hoping to get up the property behind the other house tomorrow, to brush in a couple ground blinds. Then head over to the farm I hunt to do the same there and maybe hang a cam with my grandson. Also hoping to fling a few arrows sometime tomorrow.

Need to figure a way to make the weekend as long as Mon. and Tue.!

I went up to check my food plots and they were full of geese..I may have to pick up my duck stamp...

Oats and new clover seeding are going like gangbusters...Brassicas are growing well too, although I may have got them in a little late for good root development on the turnips and radishes...the deer will still chow down on the greens, however..

Good day for checking cams and making mock scrapes while leaving a minimum of scent behind.Had a couple of 2:30pm tequilas too while I have the house to myself and watched a new episode of Longmire.

I won't need to visit the woods now until a day or two before opener to check trail cams before deciding on which stand to sit first.

Edited by Papist

Ha!  You guys are making damned good use of the inclement weather. 

Heck, it ain't like you can cut grass, work in the garden, wash windows, stain the deck, paint the barn, re-roof aunt Joanie's cottage, wax the car, go to the beach etc.

Crank out the fun stuff!!!!

I checked the cameras not as many deer as I thought their would be especially considering the worn-out trails the camera face. What was nice to see was about 30 turkeys walking in woods. A lot of young ones so I watched them for 1/2 hour. It Started to rain so I cleaned out the garage to get it ready for a snowmobile I am picking up next weekend.

Tomorrow get up early to drive back home and hit the couch for football

Seeing it's Sunday now....

We were supposed to be camping with friends, but the weather made us push that back to next weekend. So Saturday we headed out to the Schoharie valley to check out the town wide garage sales and head to the local produce stands to grab a bushel of canning tomatoes and another peck of hot peppers. Grabbed some lunch then came back home and started making homemade pasta sauce. Have about half the bushel done, and it's tasting gooooood! Garlic/basil/onion. It's been simmering for 8 hours and cooling now.

Today, Sunday. Break down the final half bushel of tomatoes early so they have time to cool. Wash the hot peppers and prep for canning. Then canning the rest of the day. Over all we should get about 8 jars of peppers and 10 jars of homemade pasta sauce. Second batch of the sauce will be just garlic/oregano.