How many days did you hunt this spring?

mowin

Like the title says, how many days.

How many Tom's, jakes did you call in?

Was this season harder to connect then past seasons, or easier? 

Were you after a specific bird? Or any bird? 

Interesting to see the difference between areas too.  

I got out 5 times this Spring. More than i expected to get out. I called in atleast one longbeard each day out, but no good shots presented.. Either Brush in between us or the birds came in silent and behind or over the wrong shoulder. I would have to say it wasnt an easy season, but i had action every single day, besides the last sit. And I consider that a good Season, especially compared to last years. Had jakes on the cameras but i never saw one all season. Hunting pretty pressured birds.

• Like 1

I hunted every day but five...

Called in 5 longbeards and 4 jakes.

I don't shoot jakes, but any 2+ year old is fine with me..I don't target a specific bird.

The hunting for me was tough, this year, like usual...<<grin>>...

Kind of an odd gobbling year...Many mornings seemed perfect, so still that you could hear a mouse get an erection 100 yards away, but I heard very little roost gobbling...Often the birds would gobble later in the morning.

1 youth day hunt -played with birds but they hung up

5 solo hunts -played with birds 3x by self and killed nice gobbler .Day I killed bird I had called in 10 jakes,3 hens and 3 LB's back in after they hung up earlier in morning

4 regular season with daughter -played with birds 2x and her optics on but hang ups 1 day of no action we weren't expecting any as it was snowing pretty hard with nasty winds

All above same location ^^^^^^^

2 times calling only - played with 1 gobbler who wouldn't cross the creek  /2 different locations

1 hunt with friend /called in 4 jakes and 1 hen we know of but think there could have been more hens /he killed one / different location

13 days total in the woods this year.   Last year was 20 days surpassing 100 hours and birdless for first time in many years

Found birds were more vocal early in season this year.

• Like 3

Hunted the following days... 

Youth hunt 4/23 Worked 3 jakes, passed, worked 3 LB's, youth could get the shot

May 1st, killed a 2 year old

May 4th, worked a LB but no shot

May 6th, killed a 3 year old, called in 3 LB's

May 13th, worked 3 LB's, thinking 2 year olds, no shot.

May 27th, worked 4 LB's to 45 yards, wife didn't feel confident in the shot.. Passed 3 2 year olds, 1 3 year old

May 28th, took the youth hunter back out, worked 2 LB's, killed a 3 year old.

In Massachusetts, guided the youth hunter to a 21lb 3 year old and a rookie to a 20 lb 3 year old., only did those two hunts.

So all in, hunted 9 days, worked birds every time, killed 5 LB's 1 2 year old and 4 3 year olds.. 

I hunted 9 days. 

Youth season on first day heard lots on roost, but no shot. Day 2 I called in a 3 yr old for my grandnephews first bird.

Took brother in law out on 1st day. Called in 2 Tom's and a Jake. Tom's were in thick stuff, so he took the Jake. His first bird also.

Went out myself couple times and passed on several 2 yr olds.

Took Jeff 1211 out on his first hunt. No go on first time out. Called in nice 2 yr old the next day. Jeff's first bird. 

Took a 2yr old on my next time out. Couldn't see his hooks, and was hoping it was the big guy, but was happy with this hunt.

Took Jeff out and on first 3 setups called in multiple toms and jakes on each one . Jeff miss a couple times. 4th setup, I took a nice 3 yr old.  

Had a great season. Not my best, but far better than my worst. 

Edited by mowin

None.  Unlike prior years, I did not hear any gobbling around the lake last Memorial day weekend when I was out in the boat fishing at sunrise.  Also, I was scared of ticks in the woods and I don't care for eating turkey.   My wife and kids like it, but the will have to settle for the store bought stuff.  They did love the perch dinner that I was able to provide.   

Edited by wolc123

Five I think. One with my daughter and three on my own and only worked one bird. Like a bad round of golf I was about to say screw this game and then TF and I striped a drive down the middle, hit a pure five wood to 12' and made the eagle putt. Just like that I'm sucked back in. See you next year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

5 total for me. Two days behind my house where I had a decent amount of action from a group of birds that included at least one Jake and one Tom. The Jake presented a give me shot that I passed. One morning at a different location where there were at least one Tom and a few Jake's, two other guys were on the neighboring property calling like crazy. A different Hunter shot the Tom a week later. Two other mornings with a friend at his place. We were 50 yards apart. He shot one of three Jake's I called in while I was watching a Tom in a field with a hen that he couldn't see. The hen eventually lured the Tom away. Good season all in all. I used to hunt lots more but work and kids have put a stop to that.

2 moenings.nothing both times but some deer.which i dont mind seeing!between everything going on with grandfather passing away and trying to get check engine light off on vehicle for last week and a half...replaced gas cap muffler and two 02 sensors because the first one was either faulty or didnt like my vehicle!!!!!

More than I'd like to admit with only one tag punched...but prob 20+ hunts. Had a roosted Tom that would talk every couple mornings and I watched him fly out of sight 2x, other than that the only bird I had an opportunity at and that actually gobbled, is the one at the taxidermist !

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Only missed hunting 3 sundays in may because you can't hunt sundays in pa. Other than not toting a gun or being with someone those days I was in the woods from March 16th on, actually setting in the pa woods as I type this listening to 2 birds gobbling their heads off.
Turkey hunting IS my addiction. Lol

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

• Like 2