Live From The Woods 2017 edition!

WNYBuckHunter

Well i have had two different bucks in the crosshairs this am. Plenty of chances at vitals. Just could never get a good look at the rack to determine if they were shooters. One I think was a half rack fork...the other looked better but still didn' t pull the trigger...good morning tho

• Like 1

2 hours ago, growalot said:

No I'm  not...h er e they come in all new orange..he's  head right for our line. This should be interesting he' getting ready to climb treestand..if he shoots as they did yesterday and along  my wood line he'll have to aim in my direction. . Well they got the hint about terrain and camo and I  could have easily accidentally  shot one of them while they were sneaking around. I just stepped behind one of the big trees My stand is in.. it hides me from his view.. I'll pop out in a moment  to make a point...

If they are not ON your property you should not be saying a word. That's not against the law sitting on the line? If they cross and you see then have at it.

Not sure when/how you find time to kill a deer?  7-8 posts on this site alone just in the last couple hours. Maybe leave the phone at home and fill a tag?  Just a thought!

• Like 3

silly question: What do you think of the idea of blow drying the inside of the carcass with a cordless leaf blower if you have to rinse it out?

Lol prob be fine and quick. That’s basically what you want when you hang a buck is that cavity to get that dry layer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Thanks 1

Woohoo !! She got it done !! Bang flop. I’ve never killed a deader deer !fb011b4734689668079cb6c222bc7cfe.jpg&key=a2b5d9e9802f1b92cfcb79df81f14e79dbb085e055c5ba981e1334ca7e6eafe8

Man you guys earned that Buck! What an amazing young lady, that right there is what makes being a Dad the most amazing thing in the world!

Sip of Sunshine I saved specifically for this deer will be indulged upon this afternoon in honor of her amazing accomplishment!!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

2 hours ago, moog5050 said:

So question, I shoulder shot this doe.  She took off running on 3 legs and dragging her right front leg.  I had the opportunity to shoot her again at 30yds as she ran.   Do you shoot knowing the first shot was money?   Just curious.  

I would if you have the shot you never know if you got the strongest deer in the herd!!!!

2 hours ago, moog5050 said:

So question, I shoulder shot this doe.  She took off running on 3 legs and dragging her right front leg.  I had the opportunity to shoot her again at 30yds as she ran.   Do you shoot knowing the first shot was money?   Just curious.  

I dropped my buck first shot, he was still moving and I shot again. I’ve had two deer get up and run off never to be found.

3 hours ago, moog5050 said:

I always do.did this morning on buck although knew shot was good.took 2nd shot and missed as he took a hard left turn.took out right front shoulder aswell and ended up clipping heart.only went 30 yards but can never be too sure!

Are there bullets designed for closer shots? The way I hunt just about everything is inside 60 yards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

They're not designed for closer shots, hey just have a controlled expansion feature. It expands the same if he shit is at 10 yards or if the shot is at 100 yards. I've taken deer from 10 yards to 100 yards and the hole was exactly the same on all of them

1 hour ago, Four Season Whitetails said:

If they are not ON your property you should not be saying a word. That's not against the law sitting on the line? If they cross and you see then have at it.

Not sure when/how you find time to kill a deer?  7-8 posts on this site alone just in the last couple hours. Maybe leave the phone at home and fill a tag?  Just a thought!

Oh Boy .........................

• Like 2

They're not designed for closer shots, hey just have a controlled expansion feature. It expands the same if he shit is at 10 yards or if the shot is at 100 yards. I've taken deer from 10 yards to 100 yards and the hole was exactly the same on all of them

That's actually false, bullets are designed to perform in a certain FPS range, too low FPS and you won't get the proper expansion, too high FPS and either can happen, extreme/violent expansion or none at all. A lot has to do with what the bullet encounters also. Most instances in our "short range" woods Hunting most projectiles will work just fine. The "hole" the bullet leaves isn't always an indicator of the bullet expansion. Most bullets will not expand at 10yds like they do 100.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Woohoo !! She got it done !! Bang flop. I’ve never killed a deader deer !fb011b4734689668079cb6c222bc7cfe.jpg

Congratulations! This what it's all about! Her smile says it all.  Great job by Daughter and Dad! A beautiful, lifelong memory was made this morning. 

• Like 1

Congrats Jay and S. You both earned that and the smile says it all. Well done.

Congrats to everyone else lucky to connect. I passed on 2 small doe this morning and I'm at the in laws already indulging. It's noon somewhere.
67674dd5caf0e9e243a9ba136f44fc9b.jpg

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

That's actually false, bullets are designed to perform in a certain FPS range, too low FPS and you won't get the proper expansion, too high FPS and either can happen, extreme/violent expansion or none at all. A lot has to do with what the bullet encounters also. Most instances in our "short range" woods Hunting most projectiles will work just fine. The "hole" the bullet leaves isn't always an indicator of the bullet expansion. Most bullets will not expand at 10yds like they do 100.

It's actually not false, you're correct in that bullets are designed but as he states from 10-100yds the variation in velocity are too small to notice.

It is also false that bullets shot above their operating velocity range will not expand at all.

• Like 1

It's actually not false, you're correct in that bullets are designed but as he states from 10-100yds the variation in velocity are too small to notice.

It is also false that bullets shot above their operating velocity range will not expand at all.

That's basically what I said, at our short shots typical in NY most bullets will work fine, but it does not mean they are expanding as they were designed to. Unless you find the round you don't really know what that projectile looks like or how it expanded.