How many acres do you hunt if it is private land .

Hunter007

12 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Yea state land that is legal to hunt by anyone, but no parking or access to it except thru private land.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe that creates an  easement by necessity .,through the private land .

Which is easier said then done . Was hunting BLM land in Montana where the only access was down  a private ranch road, the rancher didn’t quite agree, however my hunting partner lives in “The West “ and is an attorney, so the ranchers bluff was called .

But we left just to avoid any further issues .

• Like 2

Lease is 120 acres with two other guys. No woods, swamp and thick brush

Permission to hunt for bow on about 60 acres all ag fields with treeline. Also late muzzle.

Permission to hunt 12 acres  in another spot but it's more like a 1/4 acre, rest is cow pasture.  

But all private and it's been productive. 

Have had lease for 5 years now and I have taken 5 deer off it and my buddy has gotten two .  

We live on 86 acres and predominantly hunt there. Although we haven't owned it all for that long, this was our 30th year hunting this ground. Also have permission on adjoining properties. 52 to the south, 50 to the west and 90 to the north although that's all corn field. To the east we border 115 acres that are landlocked and no one has access to. We and its surrounding property owners treat it as a sanctuary.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Stay at home Nomad said:

I believe that creates an  easement by necessity .,through the private land .

Which is easier said then done . Was hunting BLM land in Montana where the only access was down  a private ranch road, the rancher didn’t quite agree, however my hunting partner lives in “The West “ and is an attorney, so the ranchers bluff was called .

But we left just to avoid any further issues .

I bet if you put some time in and researched the deeds backI bet you would find an easment.  Specially if it's public property.

4 minutes ago, biggamefish said:

I bet if you put some time in and researched the deeds backI bet you would find an easment.  Specially if it's public property.

Then there is the problem of parking  a lot of places like that dont have street parking so unless you are close enough to walk there you are still out of luck 

I own ten surrounded by hundreds of acres of state/ county. What do I hunt ? it is kind of a misleading question...I probably only actively hunt about an acre of it....but I have done a lot of woods management on the surrounding areas, and the surrounding state land is involved in the deer patterns. The deer move to and from my next door neighbors land which affects how and where I hunt. Depending on wind direction, I may not be on my land, but off on the public lands. Rule number one of deer hunting....hunt the wind. 

The family farm is 220.  I hunt 12 acres at my Mom's.  I have access to 90 behind my grandfather's.  I have permission on another 90 acre property that my brother hays for an out-of-state guy.  

I need to go to the town clerk's office.  I hear rumors that the very rich guy that bought the top of the mountain has sold his land to the land trust.  That would mean it could no longer be legally posted.  That would open up 440 acres and give me a spot where I could actually attempt to track.

2 hours ago, stubborn1VT said:

The family farm is 220.  I hunt 12 acres at my Mom's.  I have access to 90 behind my grandfather's.  I have permission on another 90 acre property that my brother hays for an out-of-state guy.  

I need to go to the town clerk's office.  I hear rumors that the very rich guy that bought the top of the mountain has sold his land to the land trust.  That would mean it could no longer be legally posted.  That would open up 440 acres and give me a spot where I could actually attempt to track.

Is that how the Land Trust in Vermont works?  

In NY, from what I understand, is if you “sell” your property to the Land Trust, you can’t develop it.   You still own it, but it must stay in the current state that it is....ag land, timber land, etc. You can post it, it is still private land.  It’s used to prevent valuable agricultural lands from turning into subdivisions.  

9 minutes ago, Otto said:

Is that how the Land Trust in Vermont works?  

In NY, from what I understand, is if you “sell” your property to the Land Trust, you can’t develop it.   You still own it, but it must stay in the current state that it is....ag land, timber land, etc. You can post it, it is still private land.  It’s used to prevent valuable agricultural lands from turning into subdivisions.  

Here it is protected from development, but it is payed for with tax payer money.  That make it no longer private, so it cannot legally be posted.  At least that is my understanding.  

• 1 month later...
11 minutes ago, ODYSSEUS said:

This Thread is one of my Fav Chit- Chat Threads of the last few Months . It must be Awesome to hunt Private Land!  I would set up my own 2 Man Blind on a Field Edge with Turkey Decoys out. Maybe take just 1 call out with me.  Just a public land guy daydreaming a bit here.   A DOLLAR AND A DREAM.

Never too late.

ł own 20 acres, have permission to hunt approximately 300 acres all privately owned within 10 minutes of my place.

Bummer is a 108 acre chuck of that also sees  far too much action from a "local community" which has driven it down from what it once was.

• Like 1

I own 12 and have permission to my neighbors 37 so about 50 here at home. Then about 90 of a friends but most of that is for sale., but it has been for years so who knows, could lose it tomorrow or never. I have been looking for the right piece to buy for 15 plus years. I found one and got outbid at an auction years ago. That one still stings. Now I am looking at leasing but again gotta find something that fits.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Reb said:

I hunt the 20 acres that we live on,not a ton of land but it backs up to a large heavily wooded county park that is no hunting so I see deer everyday and shoot atleast 2 each year.

Can't wait until ł can say something very similar. Have a 2 bed 1 bath cabin on my 20 that ł look forward to fixing up for year round occupancy.

Been contemplating a couple different approaches. My great grand father built the structure in the early 60's. Was a use what you have scenario for a summer place. Makes me worry about asbestos among other things. The improvised foundation is starting to slip too.

When ł compare the cost of fixing to rebuilding it is a tough choice. If ł choose to rebuild ł decided to go with essentially the same footprint and ł will preserve the key elements to reuse in the new structure. (Pine board, original doors, brick fireplace etc.)

• Like 1

On 11/30/2018 at 8:16 PM, doebuck1234 said:

36 acres.kinda tough as alot of it isn't woods.mostly open field and have nothing setup to overlook field.next year things are gunna change with a tower blind and plots I hope.neighboring property's are wooded so helps alot!

20181130_201120.jpg

Get planting shrubs and trees ..transformation in only 5 years

1 hour ago, doebuck1234 said:

we did do it in a small area a while ago.seemed to grow up well.may have to do some more,good thinkin!

I've done over 5000 trees and shrubs on mine as well as heavy forest management .. edge is key for many species... remember anything is better than nothing

• Like 3