turkeyfeathers

How would you rate yourself as a turkey caller ?

I’m a 6 of 10 at best. Only run a slate call. Yelps , purrs , clucks , some cutting is all I got. Although I think I have the know how of what to say and when , when to go silent and when to pizz him off.  If that bird has a mission to die that morning anything will drag him in. It’s the tough ones that make it the chess match I’m after. Any somewhat serious turkey hunter will agree the worst calling they’ve ever heard is by a real hen. Or it might have been me ^_^  

• Haha 1

I think I'm lousy.........I can't run a box call for beans.  Slate, ehhhh.  Horseshoe is my huckleberry and I'm hit or miss with that.  

Please support the hunting of Mourning Dove In New York State.  For information, visit nydovehunting.weebly.com/

Yea, the right bird on the right day makes for a quick hunt. :)

• Like 1

Please support the hunting of Mourning Dove In New York State.  For information, visit nydovehunting.weebly.com/

Well I have one box call, and don’t know a cluck from a purr or whatever other noise they make , so a 2 ? 

A 3 or 4 out of 10 maybe.  I can yelp with a mouth call.  I can cluck and purr on a slate.  I kill two spring birds every year.  Seems to me you only need to call enough to make a tom curious, then keep quiet.  Could be I'm just lucky.

• Like 4

Depends on the audience  - I am a master at calling in coyotes with a turkey box call!  Actual turkeys.......somewhere between piss and poor! lol 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I’ll downgrade my calling from an almost 6  to a 4 but 6 for enthusiasm and what to say and when   Plus I don’t mind getting up at 3 to sit in the woods as there is nothing better than listening to the woods wake up. 

• Like 5

TF, I too run just a slate.  And I can make decent sounds with it, but the hardest part for me is what calls to do and when.   I usually try to just repeat whatever sounds I am hearing from the hens, or if it is a gobble to just putt and purr a little, otherwise stay silent.  Come to think of it "stay silent" is probably my best turkey call and the hardest one to do 

• Like 4

I am Fairly good with Box,Pots,Yelpers,and Natural Voice. No expert here as, I have said many times. Probably a multitude of members on OldGobbler and Gobbler Nation would leave me in the Dust. I Personally think Turkeys are changing  up North similar to what has happened in the South. Very good Turkey Hunters everywhere now and tons of Pressure on the Big Birds. I Love to call both Loud and Soft. Each Day is different and each Tom is Different. Try and figure out what he wants and give it to him.

When I'm alone at home I call like a 10.

Put me in the woods with a partner and I fall off to a 5.

Put a gobbler in front of me and I'll drop or swallow the damn call,lol

• Like 1

View my nature photos @

http://www.pbase.com/wooly

I’d describe myself as “fine”. I kill turkeys every year but my strategy is to just keep hunting until I get one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

I find a duck's opinion of me is very much influenced by whether or not I have bread

-Mitch Hedberg

1 hour ago, grampy said:

Turkeys laugh out loud at my calling. 

does it really matter if they come in to laugh at ya though?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://arforny.com

1 out of 10... none of my calls seem to work early in the AM. A couple hours prior to noon they all come alive, so i've got to give myself something.  box, slate, pusher, or diaphragm seems i'm horrible at all of them. turkeys come in just so i shut up.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://arforny.com

I really Favor those Clucks and Purrs on a Slate. I guess put me at 7. I called up my first Tom with Clucks and Purrs. Man-- he was Hung up on the other side of a Rise for Near 30 minutes.  He Finally Marched in. Straight Purrs with a few Soft Yelps at the end is a Fav combo.

I consider myself a decent caller. Not as good as I used to be though. Back in the early 2000's I had some great and big places to hunt and no kids and not much job responsibilities so I hunted a lot in NY and PA and got to mess around calling to a bunch of birds. Now a day's between kids and my job I don't have much time to go even though I have Tom's gobbling right out my back door.

• Like 1

I'd say i'm around a 4 I can call them in but never close enough to kill.I love it but hate the bugs that usually go along with them.

I have mastered "Run away I am a hunter" on my box call. I think that constitutes a 10 right?

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I'm not sure where I rank numerically. TF said it best, the worst turkey talk you hear comes from a real turkey. I've heard hens do some crazy stuff, and cackle for 10 min straight (proving the over calling theory). So if I think I'm a bad caller, does it actually mean I'm good ? I'll take a 5 and stay safe

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I consider myself pretty good at it, but when I hear my buddy working a diaphragm and a slate or box at the same time, I feel like a rank amateur. The best I can give myself is a 5 or 6.

I did have more success last year with my calling, but not enough to seal the deal with the bow. So, because I love to torture myself, I will be hunting mainly with the bow again this Spring season. I want the feeling I had from last season when that Jake came in but just not close enough. This season, I want that feeling and hopefully seal the deal on a bird with the bow.