Live From The Woods 2019 Turkey Edition

WNYBuckHunter

On the ride home sure as heck I am looking into a cut corn field across from a dairy farm and I see a huge Tom in full strut.....get out and my binos to glass....and sure as heck he is courting a hen. What a cool experience.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Today was my most exciting turkey hunt of my short turkey hunting career. Was going to have a buddy come to my place to hunt. However the lack of turkeys lately made us choose a property in Darien he has permission to hunt. Got to the fields by 530 and listened for awhile and didn't hear any birds. We did hear a other hunter hittin the owl hooter pretty hard. We decided to move back to the edge of a field that border hardwoods and had fields on either side of us. We sat and called for about a hour and a half with no responses. He moved down the edge of a field next to us and called. Got a reaction immediately from a tom that was probably 250-300 yards away. We made a plan and moved towards the tom which was sounding off on the other side of a ravine in a hidden back field. When we got to the ravine i called and instantly he responded. We setup there calling to him and he kept gobbling. However he wasnymt moving, and we figured he was around 150 yards away in the far field. We moved up the ravine through some pines and stopped just below the crest of the hill. We would call and he would respond, but still in that corner. He decided we should move to the edge of the field by us. When we got there and called we got no response...did we spook him? We stayed there contemplating our next move. Then boom he gobbles and is within 100 yards nack in the pines. We each move into the pines across from us, i call and gobbles back. Next i could see two heads cresting the other side of the pines 50 yards away, 2 hens, and behind them there he was full strut blue and bright white head glowing. I had a downed tree 20 yards out infront of me blocking most of him except the top of his head and his tail feathers, my buddy adjusted to try and get a better view and the hens saw it. They all got nervous and started moving awy slowly, i figured it was now or never i gave a couple yelps so he would pick his head up, it worked, boom...flop...turkey dinner. 38 yards, mossy 835 with winchester xx 3.5" #5.

8.5" beard, 1" spurs, guesstimated weight of 21lbs. Sorry for the long response, great day in the woods.

20190505_081651.jpg

20190505_081908.jpg

20190505_085640.jpg

• Like 34

1 hour ago, Gencountyzeek said:

Today was my most exciting turkey hunt of my short turkey hunting career. Was going to have a buddy come to my place to hunt. However the lack of turkeys lately made us choose a property in Darien he has permission to hunt. Got to the fields by 530 and listened for awhile and didn't hear any birds. We did hear a other hunter hittin the owl hooter pretty hard. We decided to move back to the edge of a field that border hardwoods and had fields on either side of us. We sat and called for about a hour and a half with no responses. He moved down the edge of a field next to us and called. Got a reaction immediately from a tom that was probably 250-300 yards away. We made a plan and moved towards the tom which was sounding off on the other side of a ravine in a hidden back field. When we got to the ravine i called and instantly he responded. We setup there calling to him and he kept gobbling. However he wasnymt moving, and we figured he was around 150 yards away in the far field. We moved up the ravine through some pines and stopped just below the crest of the hill. We would call and he would respond, but still in that corner. He decided we should move to the edge of the field by us. When we got there and called we got no response...did we spook him? We stayed there contemplating our next move. Then boom he gobbles and is within 100 yards nack in the pines. We each move into the pines across from us, i call and gobbles back. Next i could see two heads cresting the other side of the pines 50 yards away, 2 hens, and behind them there he was full strut blue and bright white head glowing. I had a downed tree 20 yards out infront of me blocking most of him except the top of his head and his tail feathers, my buddy adjusted to try and get a better view and the hens saw it. They all got nervous and started moving awy slowly, i figured it was now or never i gave a couple yelps so he would pick his head up, it worked, boom...flop...turkey dinner. 38 yards, mossy 835 with winchester xx 3.5" #5.

8.5" beard, 1" spurs, guesstimated weight of 21lbs. Sorry for the long response, great day in the woods.

20190505_081651.jpg

20190505_081908.jpg

20190505_085640.jpg

Excellent hunt. Great bird. 

Same gun as I have too. I like it.

• Like 2

20190505_081651.thumb.jpg.c36effe90e4e9d32ae75abc34017393d.jpg
20190505_081908.thumb.jpg.ea43d97585b0c1811422ecd393bc5fd1.jpg
20190505_085640.thumb.jpg.2296a5bf8179c4d0f1010983ff7ba026.jpg

Great hunt and bird- never apologize for a long post like that! Awesome read

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

I finally found a dumb one..Or maybe just got lucky...After four days of hunting from pre-dawn until  noon and hearing just a few gobbles and getting very little response...

Set up this morning in my blind with a strutter and two hens out....No roost gobbling....After flydown I started doing some clucking, ,purring and soft yelps....No  gobbling...About 7:00 am  a hen came out, shortly followed by two others...I got the gun ready and sure enough, here comes the gobbler  trotting after the hens   Ba-da BOOM !!…  18.5 lb, nice heavy 9" beard and 7/8" spurs.....  Not the most exciting hunt I have ever had, but after 4 slow days , he was more than welcome...

• Like 27

Great morning yesterday. Several good birds working from 4 different roosts on the same farm. Finally get a big boy to come 600 yards across the meadow to 49 yards and just skirted around us. Wanted nothing to do with the dekes. My nephew and I cracked up at how rude and disrepectful that bird was. I couldn’t go this morning but my nephew did. Same thing; however, the purrs got to him and he shot him at 7 yards. 

A0F0B230-D75A-46A5-822A-1694000534E0.jpeg

• Like 19

11 minutes ago, Shadd Rapp said:

Dropped one! Not much of a story but I shot him at 4 yards. He come running down the field edge to a lone hen in the field.

2dd78f25f15e1f214a5dbfa74ec27e04.jpg

4 yards...must be a new world record for close up and personal harvest. Wow...and congrats.

• Like 2

Saw a Tom and 4 hens during legal hours. just getting home  from planting 500 of the state trees. while planting a gobbler was going crazy. At first it was like come on! Then the more he kept gobbling it kept me entertained - kinda like working with a radio on. Man I am whooped though... Hoping next venture is Friday 

• Like 3

We got my buddy his first bird on Sat morning, in Naples. (He is the one in blue hat)

Called him in around 930 with my Father In-law's old Lynch's fool proof box call.

Really happy for Paul, he has been trying for a long time. 

Thankful he was able to get him at my place, and that I was there to share in it.

1" spurs. 8.5" beard. 19lbs.

0504191052_Burst01.jpg

Edited by Skillet
  • Like 21

Sorry for the late post, I got out yesterday in 9F heard nothing at first light except a neighbor cranking on his owl hooter. Who owl hoots over 1 hour before light? I got set up in a small patch of oaks where they are there or not. No gobbles, i was thinking of calling it when i hear 1 pitch out of the trees real close. Almost immediately a gobble followed. I made a couple of soft yelps on mouth call and boom! real close, then another pitch down followed by 2 more gobbles. I get re-positioned and wait. 5 minutes later there he is at 25 yds. I can't see his beard behind a blow down, he goes into strut and has a full tail, but i still can't see a beard, he turns and moves behind a cluster of trees and figure when he pokes out on the left I'll be able to see his beard , but he walked straight away and gave me no shot!! He never gobbled again! i stayed until noon tried a few different locations and nothing. I know i could have killed him but I don't like shooting Jakes so he got a pass. There will be more chances, it's a long month. 

Edited by 2012_taco
spelling
  • Like 5

Resting up on a Log and waiting for Gobbling to start up again some after 9am. I must have heard at least 20 Birds. Private land on other side of River. 3 wingbeats over is all it takes. Some on my side as well.

Come on Bill! You let me down the other day

• Haha 2