How many have you broken

cynthiafu

1.You allow an under-aged child (ages 13 and under) to take part in a deer drive.

Only hunters ages 14 and above are allowed to hunt big game (deer or bear) with a firearm in New York. It it is perfectly legal to take an under-aged hunter along on the hunt -- and in fact, the DEC encourages it. If he or she is old enough (age 12 or older), the young hunter is even allowed to hunt small game at the same time if they have a hunter safety course under their belt and a valid hunting license. As far as big game hunting, though, they can only watch and "cannot actively participate" in the hunt such as participating in a deer drive, according to the DEC.

(Editor's note:  The exception is junior bowhunters (ages 12-15). These young hunters can hunt deer or bow with a bow during the bowhunting season or the regular season when accompanied by a parent, legal guardian or a "youth mentor" 21 years or older and designated in writing. See permission form on page 37 of the DEC hunting guide.)

2. You carry a handgun while bowhunting

While bow hunting during a special season, a hunter may not possess a firearm of any description.

3. You transport a cocked crossbow in a motor vehicle.

A crossbow may not be possessed in or on a motor vehicle unless it is un-cocked.

4. You mount and use a scope on your bow or firearm that projects light on a target.

Any scope that projects light beyond the body of the scope, including laser sights, is prohibited for hunting deer in New York. One can use them at night for hunting coyote, fox, raccoon or fox. You cannot use artificial lights to hunt big game. Lighted sights are legal on bowhunting equipment as long as the light only illuminates the sights and does not project outward from the sight housing.

5. You put out a salt lick out for deer, or feed them prior to the season to attract them to an area when the hunting season begins.

The law allows one to use cover scents and lures, such as doe urine, for deer hunting. However, it is illegal to place a salt block or mineral lick on lands inhabited by deer at any time of year. Same goes for feeding deer. Some attractants that are marketed for deer are liquids or dissolving powders which deer may not directly consume, but the attractants may entice deer to feed on the material which absorbed the attractant. These types of products are illegal in New York.

6. You transport a loaded firearm on a farm vehicle or while in an ATV

You cannot have a loaded firearm (other than a pistol with appropriate permits) on or in any motor vehicle. A motor vehicle is defined as anything operated by other than muscle power.

7. You lean a loaded firearm against a motor vehicle.

A firearm leaning against a motor vehicle is considered being on a motor vehicle and thus illegal.

8. You transport a loaded muzzleloader in a motor vehicle.

A muzzleloader is considered unloaded when the cap is off the nipple, the primer is removed, the primer powder is removed from the flintlock pan or the battery is not in an electric-fired muzzleloader.

9. You take a shot at a deer from the shoulder of a road.

One must be entirely off the road and shoulder to legally shoot at a deer. It is also illegal to shoot at one across a road.

10. You pack a .22 caliber rim-fire handgun while big game hunting -- and/or use it to take a shot at a deer

One can only carry such a handgun during the regular deer season (or early and regular bear seasons) only if he or she possesses a NYS pistol permit. It is illegal to use the .22 caliber rim-fire as a primary or secondary weapon to take a deer or a bear, or to finish an animal off. Once again, it is illegal to possess a firearm of any description while bowhunting.

11. You have a pistol permit and figure you can carry handgun while hunting with a muzzleloader.

No. While muzzleloader hunting during a special muzzleloader season for deer or bear, you may not possess another type of firearm of any description.

12. You don't use the proper tag when tagging a deer you've arrowed/shot.

The DEC considers an antlerless deer as a female or a male with antlers that are less than 3 inches long. Antlerless deer may be tagged with your DMP or Bow/Muzzleloading antlerless or either-sex tags. Deer with antlers that are 3 inches or longer may only be tagged with your Regular Season tag or Bow/Muzzleloading either-sex tag.

d9c_6bd43210590101609040113503613996227345328373760n.jpeg

Special to NYup.com

13. You fail to fill out a carcass tag of a deer you've shot, or the tag you filled out falls off during transport of the deer carcass

DEC does not require the carcass tag be attached to a deer in any specific location, but we recommended that you attached the tag to the head of the deer, either to an antler or through a small slit through the ear. Twist ties or small cable ties work well for this purpose. Look carefully for the perforated hole on the carcass tag. You must fill out the carcass tag immediately upon taking a deer, but you do not need to attach it to the animal until you get back to your vehicle or camp. You are responsible to ensure that your deer is tagged. If the tag falls off during transport, you could be ticketed for possessing an untagged deer.

14. You fail to report a deer you've killed to the DEC, and you post a picture of that deer on social media.

DEC hunting regulations require individuals who shoot and kill a deer to call it into the DECALS system. You have seven days to do that. Failure to do that can result in a ticket. A heads up: Posting a picture of deer you shot or arrowed on Facebook or some other social media (one that you failed to report to DECALS) can result in a ticket. DEC conservation officers monitor those sites and can easily check the DECALS system to see you called it in. They also check with meat processers for tagged deer. Bottom line: Call it in.

15. You shoot/arrow a deer and wound it -- and in the excitement follow it on to posted property.

"No Trespassing" signs mean just that. The fact that you are following a wounded deer does not give you the right to follow it on to posted property. You need to find the owner and get permission. Otherwise, you're trespassing and breaking the law. It's as simple as that

16 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

I almost always transport deer with the filled out tag in the truck with me. Im too afraid it will blow off. How many years am I looking at?

Had one blow off, called Dec Officer as processor wouldn’t take it , Dec had me simply write info on a piece of paper,along with his phone #.

This is my current system ,tag goes in orange sleeve, wrapped with half a roll of electrical tape, then a wire tie over that !

As far as that list , I’d say #2 and 7#as  once in a great while , my gun will get set on my tailgate .

65620B66-1F12-4581-AB39-28FEE3C41DA5.jpeg

Edited by Nomad
  • Like 1

A firearm leaning against a motor vehicle is considered being on a motor vehicle and thus illegal.

This is a ridiculous law which I have been guilty of.  True story, I was hunting with friends on a new piece of property we got permission for.  The neighbor had always hunted this property illegally and without the permission of the property owner and we were told to kick him off the property.  The day before opener we went to the property to familiarize ourselves.  The neighbor quickly came over to inform us that we were trespassing and he would be hunting the property.   We advised him that we had written permission, and a crew going in, but he could also hunt the property.  He then told us he would hunt a different property as there would be too many people.  Opening day (next day) we all agree to meet at the trucks for lunch, which are in the middle of the property not visible from the road.  We arrive at the trucks at lunch to find a DECO waiting for us. He immediately demands that we all produce our licenses and tags.  I proceed to lay my rifle on top of a tonneau cover and he goes ballistic screaming at me about #7 and giving me the riot act about it.  I had to lean it against a tree.  We find out from him that they received a call of illegal hunting on the property.  Wonder who called that in????

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DoubleDose said:

This is a ridiculous law which I have been guilty of.  True story, I was hunting with friends on a new piece of property we got permission for.  The neighbor had always hunted this property illegally and without the permission of the property owner and we were told to kick him off the property.  The day before opener we went to the property to familiarize ourselves.  The neighbor quickly came over to inform us that we were trespassing and he would be hunting the property.   We advised him that we had written permission, and a crew going in, but he could also hunt the property.  He then told us he would hunt a different property as there would be too many people.  Opening day (next day) we all agree to meet at the trucks for lunch, which are in the middle of the property not visible from the road.  We arrive at the trucks at lunch to find a DECO waiting for us. He immediately demands that we all produce our licenses and tags.  I proceed to lay my rifle on top of a tonneau cover and he goes ballistic screaming at me about #7 and giving me the riot act about it.  I had to lean it against a tree.  We find out from him that they received a call of illegal hunting on the property.  Wonder who called that in????

We had some clown come flying out into a field we were goose hunting, demanding to know who gave us permission, is it written, blah blah blah. Town property. I finally told him to eff off and he storms away. Hour later here comes the DEC. Checks us all out, nice as can be. Of course the next day that guy and his crew were out there

Edited by The_Real_TCIII

5 minutes ago, DoubleDose said:

I got that beat .

Some guys I know are walking out of the woods, you know a few here and there, a DEC cop is waiting ,asking if guns are unloaded and looking at tags .

Guy comes out Dec asks if gun is unloaded ,guy says no, Dec says go unload it , so he walks to an open trunk and proceeds to jack shells into trunk . Now Dec cop walks along side of car and steps in front of the muzzle as the guy is jacking out shells.  Cop draws his handgun and screams don’t point that F@#$ gun at me ..... guy throws gun into trunk and raises his hands. One shell still in gun and dec wrote him for #7 .

At least half the bow hunters I know carry a handgun , I shoot  better groups with my bow at 30 yards then my little .380 , it’s not for deer...

1 hour ago, cynthiafu said:

1.You allow an under-aged child (ages 13 and under) to take part in a deer drive.

"No Trespassing" signs mean just that. The fact that you are following a wounded deer does not give you the right to follow it on to posted property. You need to find the owner and get permission. Otherwise, you're trespassing and breaking the law. It's as simple as that

Narrowed it down for ya !

3 hours ago, Nomad said:

I got that beat .

Some guys I know are walking out of the woods, you know a few here and there, a DEC cop is waiting ,asking if guns are unloaded and looking at tags .

Guy comes out Dec asks if gun is unloaded ,guy says no, Dec says go unload it , so he walks to an open trunk and proceeds to jack shells into trunk . Now Dec cop walks along side of car and steps in front of the muzzle as the guy is jacking out shells.  Cop draws his handgun and screams don’t point that F@#$ gun at me ..... guy throws gun into trunk and raises his hands. One shell still in gun and dec wrote him for #7 .

At least half the bow hunters I know carry a handgun , I shoot  better groups with my bow at 30 yards then my little .380 , it’s not for deer...

Sounds like entrapment to me..some officers have a chip on their shoulder.

5 minutes ago, suburbanfarmer said:

Sounds like entrapment to me..some officers have a chip on their shoulder.

That was a number of years ago, I knew a FF who was there, and that’s how I got the story , never got how the court ruled .

I most always know the officers who patrol my area , a couple would stop,to talk and we’d exchange any info about goings on . Met the first one when I walked out the neighboring farm after checking my posted signs , it was late summer and I was open carrying my Glock , he looked at it and never said a word . We talked about a poacher who was working the area , and he gave me his card . 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, fasteddie said:

#7 --- I am guilty of leaning an UNLOADED gun against my car tire . I was told that that is also illegal even though it isn't Loaded . Haven't done so since I was enlightened .

How is a unloaded gun illegal to lean against a tire or car? 

• Like 1

#16) Have your son hunt ducks on the Youth Waterfowl weekend (held on Columbus Day weekend) on Saturday. 

Come to find out (Saturday night) that the season was Sunday and Monday.  My bad......farcking stupid situation.

Cuff me mofo.........

Edited by Lawdwaz
  • Like 1