The moment after you pull the trigger.

left field

I've been watching a lot of hunting videos, mostly deer from stands, and my question concerns the moment after you shoot and know you made a solid hit.

How long do I have to keep whispering into the camera? Until I find the deer? That night around the campfire? Two days later when I'm back at the office? New Year's Eve? 

Thanks. 

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, left field said:

I've been watching a lot of hunting videos, mostly deer from stands, and my question concerns the moment after you shoot and know you made a solid hit.

How long do I have to keep whispering into the camera? Until I find the deer? That night around the campfire? Two days later when I'm back at the office? New Year's Eve? 

Thanks. 

Ahhhhh, a smart ass. 

I like your style............... :rofl:

• Like 2

Too many IED's and gun shots within ear shot of my ears. Even when I think I'm whispering my wife yells at me for talking to loud.

Once in a while when I decide to watch a hunting show I know I will get yelled at to turn it down because I had it turned up for the "whispering" part and then a commercial comes on.

If I could read I would just do the subtitles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

I tend to keep it pretty quiet and respectful, overall. An older friend of mine got his first deer just a few years ago, and of course I offered to guide him through the process of gutting it and asked to see his knife. When he bent over the deer I took out my knife and cut a hunk of his shirt-tail off. It's a tradition.

Another reason why those shows drive me nuts….Back in the day I would make it a point to be home to watch them. Now I make it a point to never watch them.

1 hour ago, left field said:

Thanks. 

As soon as he hot blond next to you, with the professional make up job, says "lets take a look"…... Most of those show are a joke IMHO.

• Like 1

On September 4, 2016 at 7:46 PM, left field said:

Thanks. 

Therein lies the problem. Quit watching the dumb, edited to the hilt, shows. LOL

20 minutes ago, genesee_mohican said:

I always whisper while communicating with a hunting partner in the deer woods. It's amazing to be able to hear other hunters talking 1000 yards away on a quiet day.

Thats me and my partner. Mind u its a pet peeve of mine. But man we just start yappin. Though we do shut it mostly

27 minutes ago, left field said:

Thanks for the replies and advice, fellows. 

Second question - is there a recommended FAS for trembling in the tree stand after the shot is made?

Here is the sequence I follow..

Shot. pause for commercial break...come back to me wildly fist pumping and jumping up and down saying "I smoked that sucka" even when I hit the deer in the guts or hoof or ear. Usually the deer is staggering around during this sequence but I act like its a fatal hit. Then I fist bump the camera guy, even if there isn't one. Then and only then do I break down emotionally and shake and talk about how hard I hunted and the history I had with that deer making sure to work in my make believe sponsors. After another break magically I do not ever have to track the deer, I just end up a mile in back of it holding it up for the camera  so it looks bigger the next day.

That should cover it?

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Doewhacker said:

Here is the sequence I follow..

Shot. pause for commercial break...come back to me wildly fist pumping and jumping up and down saying "I smoked that sucka" even when I hit the deer in the guts or hoof or ear. Usually the deer is staggering around during this sequence but I act like its a fatal hit. Then I fist bump the camera guy, even if there isn't one. Then and only then do I break down emotionally and shake and talk about how hard I hunted and the history I had with that deer making sure to work in my make believe sponsors. After another break magically I do not ever have to track the deer, I just end up a mile in back of it holding it up for the camera  so it looks bigger the next day.

That should cover it?

I think you mostly got it right...only thing I see misssing is where you paint your face like an Amazon tribesman or an X-man. And I think it's customary to yell "BOO-YAH" after you give the fake cameraman a fist pump. But very close. :D

After the shot...........I look around......no one there to see that perfect shot. No one to fist bump. No one see's me walk quietly to the dead deer, kneel down and say a little prayer. No one see's me put a spruce twig in it's mouth to send it's spirit on it's journey (I'm part Native American). It's quiet, just me and the deer. My hand on it's hide, I embed the memory of what just transpired into my soul forever. No one is there when the process begins, to put the wonderful meat in my freezer. By this time, hopefully. someone will be there to share a time honored congratulations and a smile. And without asking, help drag the deer out.

I've pretty much always been a loner when it comes to hunting deer. So I'm not sure how it will be when I see my grandson take his first deer. Perhaps there will be a fist bump, loud yelling, dancing around? But he is a lot like me, so more than likely after I dry my eyes, and tell him how good he did and how proud I am of him. We will both go through my time honored routine, together.

• Like 13

I have had a pretty standard routine, for the past few years. I sit a few minuets and wait. Calmly text my hunting buddy who is usually no more than a 15 minute walk from my stand. I wait for his response. If it was a rifle shot or a bow kill that died within sight I walk over to my deer. If it requires tracking I sit and wait. When ever he does get there the work begins we dress the deer, and then call my wife to come with the side by side. There are trails all over the place that we hunt. We drag the deer to the nearest trail and she comes and picks us up. We hang the deer off the apple tree in the yard. Go in, get changed eat! And then get to butchering...... Process pretty much goes the same for him

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk