2018 Live from the turkey woods

turkeyfeathers

Well no luck this morning.  But it was fun brother left me an owl call that he said worked well to find the turkeys on roost so i used that this morning and i had 3 owls respond. So i hit it again and i heard a gobble but that was it nothing after that.  But ended up seeing 2 owls and 10 deer so i was happy with that.  Try again tomorrow. Congrats to those that got one.

I had a great little hunt this morning. All was quiet until about 9, but I managed to call in 3 young bachelors, they all sailed passed me at 12 yards. I brought the gun up but  realized these guys need another year or two. They dutifully hung about and flashed their tails at my 2 female decoys. I had to wait a good while before a tractor in the top field pushed them off before I could sidle back for coffee. One of my more successful woods hunts in terms of calling in Turkey so closely. Called in a mature group on Wednesday morning but they never got closer then 60 yards. They did not like the male decoys. Today I only put out the ladies and it seemed to be a better result. 

Edited by Papist
  • Like 3

Stupid woods chickens. Had a Jake at 10 yards but came in sideways and silent with a hen out front. I was setup with my mad max blind that serves as a rest too. He’s to my right looking at my decoys out in front of me. This goes on for about a minute before i decide I need to see if I can swing it fast and pop his top. Well that plan fails and he tucks his head and scurries. Thought about touching it off anyhow but didn’t. Idk...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6 minutes ago, Belo said:

Stupid woods chickens. Had a Jake at 10 yards but came in sideways and silent with a hen out front. I was setup with my mad max blind that serves as a rest too. He’s to my right looking at my decoys out in front of me. This goes on for about a minute before i decide I need to see if I can swing it fast and pop his top. Well that plan fails and he tucks his head and scurries. Thought about touching it off anyhow but didn’t. Idk...

Just grabbed that blind for my daughter. It’s slick. You had close up action and that’s what it’s all about. Tomorrow’s another day 

Here’s a little video I made from earlier in the hunt. There are actually 9 roosted birds. I only counted 7. 7 flew down at 6:45 after calling for over an hour. Then surprising to me, 2 more at 730!

Will need full volume to hear my commentary lol

• Like 4

I don't bother with commercial blinds anymore. I have 2 fav spots now where I have thrown some brush and branches together around a couple of trees I sit against. Today the Turkey came up on my open side and never saw me. It's all in the camo and slow slow movements. Decoys are good visual distraction also. I make sure they are not to close to me. The plan went perfectly today. The Turkey pass by me on the way to the decoys.  I have never seen Turkey active in bad weather so I no loner go out in anything worse then a very light drizzle. I usually sit about 35/40 yards away from my decoys also. I hunt Turkey like Deer, try and catch 'em coming or going to the area of visual interest. 

Edited by Papist

58 minutes ago, Belo said:

Here’s a little video I made from earlier in the hunt. There are actually 9 roosted birds. I only counted 7. 7 flew down at 6:45 after calling for over an hour. Then surprising to me, 2 more at 730!

Man I wouldn't be moving like that with birds so close and it being so light out! 

Well hit the woods this morning at 515 couldn't hit my go to spot due to a down tree in the main road so hit the spot I hunted on Thursday. Called about every hundred yards not a gooble to be heard. Just about to my honeyhole I'm walking on the logging road there he is standing like a statue. Too far for a shot and he seen me and booked. I set out the decoy and short calls every 10mins nothing did this for about an hour. Then I walked and walked not a gobble anywhere. Don't know what's going on. He was alone and still not one gobble. 4 miles put on today seen 1 bird and jumped 2 deer. Not bad just wanna hear a gobble lol.

I've got a question for you more experienced turkey hunters and callers. So I had at least 3 gobblers and 1 hen with in 200 yards of my bind (one with in 100 yards) this morning on the roost. I heard some yelps from a hen and I called back. We got into a bit of a pissing match. Now I was worried that they were still up on the roost so I stopped thinking I may keep them up there.

What would you guys have done in this scenario? Would you have continued calling or stayed quiet. I've kept calling in the past with this particular hen and she did swing by and I shot a nice 3+ year old that was following her. I'm not so good at knowing when they hit the ground either so that plays into it. Of course they only gobbled once when they hit the ground. The more I think about it, the more I think I should have kept calling knowing that it turned out well for me in the past. 

Typically I don’t like to throw too much at them while they’re still roosted. They may stay up for awhile. Maybe a dabble of tree talk or first bird on the ground with a soft purr or cluck after a flydown.  3 note soft yelp. Yes sometimes it is difficult to know if they’ve flown down or not. Volume of gobble will sometimes give that away. But this morning we had 2 gobbling but of different volumes. After discussing with my daughter we agreed it was 2 maybe 50-75 yards apart and one facing us and one facing away. And as thin as treetops and foliage is right now. Birds could have looked down looking for a hen , not seen one where the calling from was and enjoyed their limb a bit longer. Just my .02 

4 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Typically I don’t like to throw too much at them while they’re still roosted. They may stay up for awhile. Maybe a dabble of tree talk or first bird on the ground with a soft purr or cluck after a flydown.  3 note soft yelp. Yes sometimes it is difficult to know if they’ve flown down or not. Volume of gobble will sometimes give that away. But this morning we had 2 gobbling but of different volumes. After discussing with my daughter we agreed it was 2 maybe 50-75 yards apart and one facing us and one facing away. And as thin as treetops and foliage is right now. Birds could have looked down looking for a hen , not seen one where the calling from was and enjoyed their limb a bit longer. Just my .02 

I just wasn't sure if they were still in the tree or on the ground. I think I heard them fly down shortly after, I just cant be sure. I took the safe route, and It didnt pan out to well for me since they went off in another direction lol

I love pissing off the boss hen.  I copy her exactly, but with a little more enthusiasm. As soon as she ends her sequence, I instantly copy her. More the not, she'll come looking.  Sometimes, Tommy follows.  

I've had hens come strutting in and aggressively purring.  Also had em take the tom over the hill on a fast walk.  

If the hen is just tree talking, I don't get to aggressive. Like TF mentioned, aggressive calling could keep Tommy on roost a lot longer. 

Edited by mowin
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, mowin said:

I love pissing off the boss hen.  I copy her exactly, but with a little more enthusiasm. As soon as she ends her sequence, I instantly copy her. More the not, she'll come looking.  Sometimes, Tommy follows.  

I've had hens come strutting in and aggressively purring.  Also had em take the tom over the hill on a fast walk.  

If the hen is just tree talking, I don't get to aggressive. Like TF mentioned, aggressive calling could keep Tommy on roost a lot longer. 

The only thing predictable about a turkey is his unpredictability...

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Belo said:

How do ya post video I didn’t think this site was capable 

27 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

The only thing predictable about a turkey is his unpredictability...

Ain't that the truth.  Just when you think you've figured 'em out, they rewrite the rules. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, sodfather said:

How do ya post video I didn’t think this site was capable 

I believe you have to upload them to youtube or another host sight then post the link. 

• Like 2

Congratz to those that got it done!! I set the alarm but forgot to switch it to weekend as well. Doh! So needless to say I got up way too late. Had a ton of yard and trailwork to do anyhow. Now I’m sore and tired lol. Maybe tomorrow!!

I went to my SIL's woods in Geneseo where I had several pics of Turkeys . I sat in a ladder stand that had a rail and put camo burlap on it for cover . Saw one one hen and a couple doe . It saturated with water back in the woods . Some spots had 8 to 9 inches of standing water as it doesn't drain . 

On another note . Last summer I noticed several posted signs were missing the papers . Nothing laying around so they had to have been ripped off . I reposted them . Since I was within 100 yards of them I trudged back to check them out . They were gone . If the woods ever dries up . I will go back with a ladder and put the signs higher .