Ideas or ways you keep yourself warm on stand

rob-c

2 hours ago, crappyice said:

This is going to be the most unpopular advice and if there was a dislike button it would be wielded freely.....warning: graphic and extreme, if not obscene, content to follow....don’t drink alcohol the night before and cold hunt.

I’ve been voluntarily on the wagon for a bit and have noticed much less discomfort on stand in some cold temps this year.

Coincidence I think not!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You don't drink the night before, u drink while your out there to stay warm :-)

Lots of good stuff already mentioned: Muff with a couple handwarmers, Bibs, Wool hat and face mask, snacks.

A few more that help me: 1) Sip on a cup of hot cider from a thermos (5 minutes in the microwave gets 4 cups to the right temp).   Besides the warmth, the cider keeps you hydrated, gives you calories, and sometimes attracts deer to your location from downwind.   2) 3 ft high solid wall around your position in blind or stand.  This breaks the wind to keep you warm, and also keeps your movements hidden from the deer, provides a gun-rest, and keeps you safe.   3) Military "mickey mouse" boots - the black ones are good to about -10 and the white ones to about - 40 F.  They are also waterproof.  My feet have never got cold in the black ones, which are a little less bulky.  They can be had for about $ 80 new or $ 40 surplus.   4) Down vest.  5) Stay in shape so you don't sweat your "a..." off walking to your spot.  6) Open up your zippers and take off your hat so you don't sweat your "a.." off walking to your spot even if you are in shape.  7) Shoot a deer and gut it - it is always warm inside.       

2-3 Canadian's the night before.

Dress light for the long walk in, so I don't heat up.  Wool socks, Danner boots,  Pigmy hand me down.....wool pants (not found in stores), but only a light shirt. Once on stand I put on the layers, warm shirt, neck gaiter, warm hats ( not covering the ears so I can still hear).  Heater Body Suit with a few warmers and I'm good for an all day sit.   I also find it helpful to bring a thermos with hot water with a little gator aid mixed in. (nothing worse than sitting all day only to find your water bottle is a slushy by 10 am. Been there) I bring some good low odor carbs to snack on during the day too.

It's like a picnic for me really. No need to suffer on stand, just prepare a little and it's enjoyable.

• Like 2

Double up on merino wool base layers.. Cabelas wooltimate vest to keep the core warm... Cabelas wooltimate windshear pants, bibs, jacket, and parka.. And if it's really cold I'll throw my blaze orange Gamehide parka over wooltimate clothing.

I dont like bulky gloves so I prefer those Under Armour cold gear liners and I'll keep my hands in a muff on stand.... I've learned to avoid cotton and block out the wind as much as I can!!!

I duct taped hand warmers to my body one day when it was minus something or other during ML season. Worked great until removing them. Hurt like a MF.   And the next day I colored the grey in my beard with a black sharpie marker. It's all about improvising :mda:   But Storm still wins with that homemade scope mount

• Haha 1

The adhesive backed Hot Hands warmers are life savers for us. I happened to be at Walmart in Hamburg a few weeks ago when they were just putting them out on the shelves, I bought 10 packs of those and 5 packs each of the toe warmers and large hand warmers. Should be good for the season.

1 hour ago, turkeyfeathers said:

I duct taped hand warmers to my body one day when it was minus something or other during ML season. Worked great until removing them. Hurt like a MF.   And the next day I colored the grey in my beard with a black sharpie marker. It's all about improvising :mda:   But Storm still wins with that homemade scope mount

guess you didn't see the movie

spacer.png

5) Stay in shape so you don't sweat your "a..." off walking to your spot. 

Usually as deer season rolls around I am in the best shape/condition of the year. Spend most of my fall refereeing college soccer and still have no problem running with division 1 athletes in their prime. I start to sweat the minute I put gear in my truck......have always had sweated like this and just need to have a change of socks to combat cold feet!

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

On 11/13/2019 at 10:17 AM, turkeyfeathers said:

Ok I took an old shirt and cut it into hand warmer size pieces and I sewed 2 on the back area of the turtleneck and 2 on the front side that will hold hand warmers. 4 on the shirt maybe to much but will find out Saturday. I may expand this to my under armour bottoms maybe 1 per leg, poor man's version I guess. Stop laughing at my stitch job, I forgot alot since home ec class!

KIMG1580.JPG

• Like 4

On 11/12/2019 at 8:39 PM, JRod 8G8H said:

Double up on merino wool base layers.. Cabelas wooltimate vest to keep the core warm... Cabelas wooltimate windshear pants, bibs, jacket, and parka.. And if it's really cold I'll throw my blaze orange Gamehide parka over wooltimate clothing.

I dont like bulky gloves so I prefer those Under Armour cold gear liners and I'll keep my hands in a muff on stand.... I've learned to avoid cotton and block out the wind as much as I can!!!

Muffs with a hand warmer in them works great don’t even need gloves 

• Like 2

Don't have bibs, the wife did suggest we both get some, told her it would help keep the body warm, but hot hands for the win in boots for cold feet.

I layer, I also make sure the layers are big enough to fit over each other, but not be tight. A pair of long john pants first, then a pair of sweat pants on the bottom, Top, tee shirt, long sleeve tee shirt, high neck long sleeve tee shirt, and a sweat shirt. Once where I'm going, the sweat shirt comes off, and a mid layer of either fleece or another I picked up recently, then my coat. Bottom, another pair of sweat pants and then my outer shell pants. Body and legs rarely get cold. It's my hands and feet I struggle with. Had to actually use a pair of Hot hands this past Sunday, something I haven't had to do in a couple years.

A couple years ago I got a pair of $200 Kamik boots for less then a hundred bucks due to a sears store closing and liquidating everything. Boots are rated to -40*, yeah maybe when walking.

Hunting from the ground once it freezes and gets snow, it's always been a hassle to keep my feet warm. Same with my wife. I thought of a solution to that that may just help a bit. I suggested we buy a couple light hang on stands, and just put them a foot or so off the ground. My thoughts are getting our feet off the cold ground and out of the snow should help.

I think I might try that Hot Hands under the hat trick this weekend.

Edited by DirtTime

On 11/13/2019 at 11:56 AM, Steuben Jerry said:

Remember these things? They stunk to high heaven!

s-l640.jpg

My Dads total hunting gear, could fit in one coat pocket . That warmer, a knife , compass, and a length of cord . That was it outside of  a gun .

• Like 2