More deer seen/ killed am or pm

luberhill

I killed my first of the year in mid September, 15 minutes before sunset.  My second, in mid October, 15 minutes after sunrise, so I’d call it an even split so far.  Sightings were more in afternoons in September and more in mornings in October.  

First November hunt will be this Saturday when I plan on being out there all day except for an approx 2 hour lunch break at noon.  

Edited by wolc123

Anytime you can be in the deer woods is a "good" time to be there! 

Over about 50 hunting seasons, and a whole bunch of deer, I'd say a very slight edge go's to morning hunts for me. But have killed them at all hours, including mid day. First and last three hours being the majority.

• Like 3

My first thought was that I've had way more success during morning hunts... I went back and checked my notes.  52% of deer killed were in the morning (55% of bucks).  That's definitely closer than I thought.  Of course... I don't complete records of number of AM vs PM hunts.  So far this season I've hunted 9 AMs and 10 PMs.

Edited by johnplav

I personally think it depends a lot on the type of property.  During archery season, when hunting pure hardwoods, I have had more success in the mornings.  Now I hunt mostly agricultural areas and deer are more active in the afternoons as they go to feed.  During early gun season things depend a lot on how many hunters are around.  In areas with little pressure mornings still are better for me.  By the time muzzleloading season rolls, the late afternoon is definitely better for me.  I wonder how things will change with the extra 30 minutes added to each end of legal hunting time?

I wil count out of state buck tags because in NY and CT I have too many deer to count and remember.
Afternoon bow hunts have been better for me.For example.

KS, 5 bucks and four were in the afternoon.
Iowa, 3 bucks. two in the afternoon one in the morning.
Ohio 5 bucks and four were afternoon.
KY, 1 morning
Texas, 4 morning, 2 afternoon

Total
Morning 8
Afternoon 12

That’s closer than that thought before I counted. I would guess that in NY and CT a the count will be fairly close as well. I bet I am closer to 50/50 and I would have sworn i killed way more in afternoon.