Amazing day in the woods

turkeyfeathers

In previous posts I've mentioned we or I've played with birds all but one day and we've hunted hard. Typically we've had birds narrow the distance about 125 yards up to the hill top and hang up out of sight all henned up. Today I went in higher by about 75 yards to pinch path between 2 fields. Birds gobbled a good half mile off. I chuckled inside Once on the deck they shut down for a half hour or so. I called soft every 10 minutes or so Then I hear some gobbles in the lower field about 400 yards away below me. I purr and multiple gobbles cut me off. They took there sweet ole time. Soon I see 2 Toms , a few hens and hear another Tom right in front of our blind. Really I think. Again these birds cut the distance and meander off. Had 2 going to be nice bucks cruise by pretty close . A pair of wood ducks kept landing in tree close to me , take off and land on the branches again and again. Doe and two fawn, solo doe. Surrounded by nature so far. Ok birds are below me so I swing around tree I'm sitting against and quickly move my stick blind. Hoping they come up the hill. Then I hear a Yelp. Oh man , flock of birds are now in field behind me and I just moved in complete opposite direction I butt scooch a little bit and pretty soon have 10 jakes and 3 hens eventually to 30 yards. Lookout Jake was fun to watch. He looked just like that funky chicken decoy all standing tall and thin. He'd hang back 20 yards and peered around sometimes yelping. He ran to catch up to the rest who of course are now feet from my blind. They fixed their plumage , chased each other around , picked dandelions for quite some time. All of a sudden they all ran about 20 yards gobbling . 10 jakes gobbling almost made me lol. They sound horrible. At least I'm facing downhill now to watch. I catch movement off to my left. A hen coming into me hard and fast. I've been purring on the slate call around the side of my leg periodically. She comes to within 10 feet of me and I'm afraid to make eye contact with her. I'm already looking out my ears. More movement , jakes coming up hill. But original movement I think none of that flock got up this high yet. It's the earlier Toms and a few hens. They tried avoiding the jakes as jakes probably ganged up on old boys before. Dominant Tom struts silently as jakes near. I see 3 ropes. Only one full struts. I see Mr Tom with a ground dragging beard. I wait for hens and other 2 Toms to clear. Big boy struts , I've got a window but my heart is absolutely pounding. I putt him , head comes up and Federal heavyweight 7's just crumple him. Barely a flop. Jakes all gobbled at the shot I lasered bird , 24 yards. I hung out with my dead bird for a fair amount of time just soaking in all that's happened and appreciating my opportunity to enjoy such a wonderful morning. I called it last night. I was going to kill this bird today. Bitter sweet and sad at the same time. I won't hunt again til Saturday the 20th as I took s personal day to get Samantha a bird. Then we have Memorial Day also. b7a5d3b13dd732ed5dd7a4cc57c60084.jpgfb4b1719fb08b9e952bdc61a4a7fd251.jpg54b164970d168b25bff311c20d27dd34.jpgsome whisps hit 11"657cb5dbe74f2e25ddd0bc230f7ad0fe.jpgbeautiful colors 21898280efabe0f5962f6f6e03582420.jpga0c2565e25c67db78b2389639db60d97.jpg didn't quite make 1.5" but he's one of my best 813d4fd7a1194d0569fdca6dd8ccb790.jpghe's fat like me c22f21f0488bf1138d4dd84b6b26d7ac.jpga812f0a3ebf38cbd38202aee939a9f89.jpg notice the good portion of beard gone. If that would have been there , serious paint brush.

Two big slabs of breast meat all wrapped and in freezer. Not one feather pushed thru breasts or hole. Noggined him hard. And the wife is getting a sous vede slow cooker for Mother's Day. Definitely will be trying it out. Thank you all for your congrats on live from the woods thread. Today was an amazing day to be alive , be at one with nature and have opportunity to call checkmate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 30

Wow, what a beautiful bird! Great story too! Congratulations buddy! I really have to give you huge props for your persistence and grit! Saw it during deer season too. Do you think if I walk down the street in a bunny suit, it will make me a better hunter? ....smile....

Well done Jay.  The play by play this morning was a nice distraction from the WORKING I was doing.

Good luck to you and Sam during the remaining days!

And now, for another distraction......

Mr. Conway Twitty:

Edited by Lawdwaz
  • Like 3

The CT clips are a ripoff from Family Guy for those that think I flipped my lid.......... :)

Once again......WOW, what a bird TF!!

Is Dino going to get the wings or are you getting the beast stuffed?? (I better go back and read what you wrote instead of just looking at the pics)