Do you upgrade your gear or find what works and stick with it

rob-c

Myself I tend to stick with what works for me. For example I have been bow hunting for 30 years and have owned 4 bows. I am using the same archery sight for 20 years or better.really the only time I replace something is if it wears out or breaks. 

• Like 3

"if it ain't broke, don't fix it", describes most of the gear I use, however I am willing to part with a few dollars to try new stuff on occasion.  Especially if I think it can make things significantly better or expand my options.   For example, when crossbows were legalized four years ago, I purchased an entry-level model which has performed flawlessly, greatly improving my archery season success percentage.    I also picked a new rifle last year (open sighted lever action 30/30), because I was lacking a proper rifle for still-hunting in rainy conditions.  That one has not had much use yet.      

Mostly, I just use the same old stuff that has worked for years.  I find that hunting (or fishing) success depends a lot less on the cost or age of your gear than it does on your relationship with He who controls the fate of all living things.         

when i find something i really like i buy double and sometimes more.When i started bow hunting i bought a pair of rocky gloves awesome when they wore out i couldn't find them.Then i bought a pair of 10x gloves nice thin tight.I bought 20 pairs just started using the last pair.I'm not sure if they make them anymore.I've been using muzzy broadheads for ever and have enough to last the rest of my life.Some stuff i replace often like face masks i can't find one i truly like.I've been bow hunting for 30 plus years and only owned three bows.I'll probably die with the one i have now. 

• Like 1

For the most part, I stick with what works for me. My bow is 18 years old. But I do play around with arrows and broad heads from time to time.

Got a new range finder, as the 10 year old one started giving inconsistent readings.

And I  have bought a few things to upgrade old stuff, from members on this forum. 

I have camo and other gear, that is perhaps older than some of our forum members!

But it still works, and gets the job done.

I buy what I need, cry once for quality and upgrade or add new gear as performance dictates.  This is pretty much my M.O. across multiple activities, including hunting.

Case in point: the entry level xbow I used last season underperformed in a number of ways.  It's certainly capable of making a kill shot under the right circumstances, but I don't want to miss another opportunity because I'm fighting with the xbow to get ready and make a clean hit. 

• Like 1

30 years two,bows .... couldn’t tell you who made the sights, rest or any of the other junk on it . I have used 3 different broad heads, 4 if you count the one rage thingie I killed one buck with during my crazy phase .

I still use a camo fleece jacket I bought 30 years ago .

Edited by Stay at home Nomad

3 hours ago, Jeremy K said:

I love new bows (new to me) i'll continue to buy different bows . Camo i keep for what seems to be forever . I keep telling myself if i can get my weight under 180 ,ill buy myself some of that fancy new camo. 

I have  a jacket in the original pattern of real tree, I bought in 1987. I gave it to my oldest son and I love seeing him wear it.. and I have a real tree  advantage (they call it advantage classic now) bow hunting coat that I just love and still wear every year..

Edited by rob-c

I used to be real bad with fishing tackle.  There is always something new and shiny to fish with.  But have gotten so that isn't the case as much.  I have more lures than I will ever catch fish with.  Other than some replacement soft plastics.  

Hunting gear i tend to be a little more conservative cause it costs more.  Plus I get comfortable with a bow and don't want to change.  Guns I have a few but nothing overboard by any means. Not a collector but I do switch arpund some til I have what I like the best.  

4 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

My bows and to some extent my rifles are my toys.  I have way more than anyone needs to hunt.  So I guess I like to try new things. 

You do have some really cool toys! And it's been said, variety is the spice of life!

• Like 1

I only buy new if needed for hunting. I have my lucky knitted red  hat that my great grandmother made me when I was a kid. I had a hand me down jacket that I used for bowhunting that I sowed the pockets back on every year till this past season cause I finally brokedown and bought a new one. I guess I am a little cheap.   

• Like 1

I have upgraded a bow 2x in 30years.. from an oneida strike eagle, to a Mathews mq32  , to  mathews drenalin. I felt the technology changed enough to warrent it. I also upgraded from a shotgun to rifle when they became allowed. Other than that I still wear my original skyline camo. ,use the same knife my father used. I have hang on stands that are 25 years old.. and unless something wears out like boots I wear them into the ground..

never got into the gimmick of scent control. The wind takes care if that and a shower.. or of calls and other things that you must have via tv.. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, G-Man said:

I have upgraded a bow 2x in 30years.. from an oneida strike eagle, to a Mathews mq32  , to  mathews drenalin. I felt the technology changed enough to warrent it. I also upgraded from a shotgun to rifle when they became allowed. Other than that I still wear my original skyline camo. ,use the same knife my father used. I have hang on stands that are 25 years old.. and unless something wears out like boots I wear them into the ground..

never got into the gimmick of scent control. The wind takes care if that and a shower.. or of calls and other things that you must have via tv.. 

I am very thankful for that PA chest girth chart you provided on here last November.   It seems to be pretty spot-on for accuracy and saved me the expense of a scale. 

If I can't scrounge up enough time or reclaimed treated lumber, I may need to spring for a few new store-bought tree-stands this year and attach them to oaks, cherries, or maples.   I recently cut the emerald-borer infected ash trees trees that supported 3 ancient wooden ones.   It was a little sad thinking about all the venison harvested from them, but I am happy to see those trees going into the woodstove now and I am very thankful that they stood firm long enough to prevent any falls over the last 30-40 years.    

In my 50+ years of hunting I have found that buying high quality gear is well worth it in the long run. The extra initial cost will pay off over the years. I have a lot of older clothing and gear that I still use. Most of it is labeled MADE IN THE USA which is the reason it has lasted so long, unlike the Chinese garbage now on the market. When something new comes along that will improve my hunting experience I will buy it, such as when things like laser rangefinders and thermacell came along. I think a combination of time tested gear and new innovations is the way to go.                                                                                      valoroutdoors.com   

• Like 2

I wear my clothes and boots until they wear out...None of my camo matches...I am not exactly a fashion plate in the woods...

I use my fishing rods until they break and my reels until they quit working...Most of my lures are  jigs of some description, either  hair jigs I tie myself or jigheads ( which I cast myself) with some kind of plastic..

I have a shoebox full of quality knives, Bucks, Case, Puma...Nearly all of them were given to me as gifts..

I used to drive my vehicles until they dropped..The last truck I bought new had the bed held together with ratchet straps when I  sold it..The last few years I have been leasing...

I have bought a couple of the ultra realistic expensive turkey decoys..I think they are far superior to the crude older ones..

My weakness is firearms...Sometimes I fondle a quality firearm, usually an older classic model model, and I just HAVE to have it.. I have a real weakness for Winchester Model 12s and Browning A5s..

That said, my primary  guns for nearly every type of hunting are all guns that I have had and used for many years..

I tend to stick with the same handloads too...I do enjoy enjoy the process of working up loads for my  rifles, but once I find a bullet/powder combo that gives good hunting accuracy and performs well on game, I stick with it..

My Old Fat Father used to tell me " If it ain't BROKE, don't fix it "...

• Like 1

Some good thoughts. I hVe slowly but surely built up an assortment of quality clothes and boots to handle any weather conditions over the last 25 years. Because I spent to get quality, I have 20 year old clothing that is still good.

i am a sucker for new guns, and will experiment with different loads to get a good group-but once I have a load with a Nosler Accubonds that is good, that's it for that rifle. No experiment with the bullet-used them with good results since they were introduced.

Will