Anyone Hunting Thursday?

DirtTime

The family all use to come over Thanksgiving morning and head out to deer hunt. With a young growing family, their not able to go anymore. I go it alone now adays. I go in the woods, greeted by my squirrel and rabbit buddies. I'll sit and think back to all that I have to be thankful for. I may not see a deer, but by golly, it's sure is a wonderful life! Thank God I'm able to do it another year.

• Like 5

If work lets us go early I will try tomorrow then I think an early morning hunt is in store for Thursday.  Hope I get lucky and finally harvest something this year!  It's been a bad year for me so far, hope things change.  I give thanks for my health and the ability to hunt!

Have a happy Thanksgiving everyone!!!

I skinned and butchered the same day on Sunday. I just put the meat on ice in a cooler to age. Been doing it for years. When it's warm you have no choice.

when it's warm you're right. But from all that I've read and practiced, you should really only skin and quarter the deer. Let it in a cooler with the drain plug open for a few days. That shouldn't take the average guy more than a few hours with cleanup.

Even better is to let rigor set in. I'm told that actually helps destroy the lactic acid and adrenaline built up during the death run, so butchering too soon before rigor can be bad too.

Just saying that i've killed some great deer thanksgiving morning. Always have them back in the barn and hung up by noon. Change clothes and enjoy the meals while I get to tell the story to all the extra ears gathered around drinking. Butcher him up the next day or on the weekend. Special memories I'll never forget.

Edited by Belo

Thanksgiving is hunting tradition!! We will be out till mid day early afternoon. I then have dinner with the inlaws. Then out for evening watch. Then to my Moms for another turkey dinner at night. I give thanks for the fat gut I get for two Turkey day dinners each Thanksgiving!!

And we have shot a few deer on Thanksgiving as well and that is always super! Been late to dinner more than once!

• Like 1