CV 19 Realized Gains?

Lawdwaz

Just curious what you guys & gals have realized a savings on during this 3+ week (so far) pandemic? 

Of course I'm not burning too much gas in my truck or putting many miles on.  I think I've only worn my contact lens twice since the start.  Heck we must be saving on laundry detergent and wear & tear on the washer and dryer since I'm wearing the same clothes for a couple three days sans the undies.  I guess I'll be getting some credit from State Farm for driving so little.  Not eating out in restaurants other than a pizza twice now but the money saved there is going to grocery stores, big time!

So where are you saving?

Saving on some stuff but lost too much on my 401k for it to be of any help unfortunately.   Hoping I will make it back of course but a loss for now .   

Lucky to still be working. Haven't been to more than a convenient store in three weeks. 

Edited by Robhuntandfish

I am saving on haircuts, missed two so far, so $50 savings there.  I did have my daughter give me a trim, and after watching some YouTube, she did a really nice job.  She got a $20 tip for that.   Still working so everything else pretty much the same, except I bring a lunch as opposed to going out for it 3 or 4 days a week. 

• Like 1

I'd be remiss to not mention the fact that those that are confined to home with their family of youngsters are probably getting the most out of this.  There was a piece on the news this morning to that effect and it was nice to see......

• Like 1

I haven't worked since March 17th. I think I have saved some money on gas but not much. 

I have painted my kitchen twice and started building dog kennel

I'm pretty bored

Im in NC right now and things are boring here

Edited by Paula

I'm really enjoying the time at home with the kids doing school work playing board games and playing outdoors with them more.

We also have been taking a once a week long drive through the country  side and back.  We take a different route and different towns our longest country drive so far was 5 hrs long.

The biggest thing we're saving money on is doing weekend activities with the kids saving $100+ a week there and my wife usually spends $50-75 a lunch at work right now she's able to work from home for most of the day we're saving on lunch but now I'm stuck making 3 meals a day lol.

I lost 35lbs from January to March so far I'm keeping all of that weight off but having trouble losing the last 6lbs that I would like to lose.

Edited by Red

Between haircuts, gas $, lunch $, golf, restaurants, it’s definitely a lot. Normally I would be able to place a number on it, but Hard me to judge with my wife not working out on maternity (barely any $ from FMLA).

Weight-wise, I’ve been getting out as much as possible and lifting downstairs. I’m down 8lbs since early March.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

I found 5-6 pounds since this started.................

Dude , im still not back to the weight i was at before my surgery . I'm probably walking no less then 30 miles a week and riding the bike for an hour 2 or 3 times a week. I hate tight clothes.

• Like 1

I work in NYC hospitals and with this crap going on, I said F@#K it and put a bid on and won one of my bucket list rifles.

I'm saving on gas and time getting into and out of the city, except for the freaking tolls.

It usually takes me an hour or more to get home, but now I'm getting home in 25 minutes and that's with being easy on the pedal.

My wife has been laid off for almost a month and she's going stir crazy, but she's been pretty frugal on spending here and there to clean up the house and check off some of the items on the honey do list.

So I'm saving in some places and spending in others and I really don't care if I come out even.

SJC

• Like 1

Definitely saving money on gas, with the lower prices and a lot less miles, thanks to not needing to run the kids around for after school activities.  I still have to drive to work every weekday, but that uses about a third of the gas as running the kids around does.  Getting to spend more quality time with the wife and kids is the biggest plus for me.   

Most of our protein has always came from wild game and fish anyhow, so no huge additional savings on groceries, but not being able to eat or drink out at all, has saved us plenty.  That is making the freezer meat go faster than normal, so I don't see us having anything left in there after November 1 or so.  Hopefully the upcoming bass fishing and deer seasons will go well.  

To improve my chances that it will, I am planning on using some of the Covid-19 savings this spring, to get plenty of corn planted, and maybe upgrade my crossbow a bit over the summer.  I also need to put some cash into ML equipment, mostly cleaning supplies and bullets/sabots, and maybe even make the change to the Buckhorn 209 powder.          

Edited by wolc123

I'm still working full time and my wife is too. Last week when i did my banking, I was hunting for a mistake because I had way too much money in my checking account after paying April's bills. No mistake, just no recreation for me or my wife. Work and home for me with a walk after dark ,or early morning on the weekend. I literally haven't been anywhere but the gas station and work, except yesterday I went fishing for a couple hours. About driving me nuts, and I have a feeling not much is changing for awhile yet.

I shed ten pounds. Not stopping for my morning egg sammy and coffee at Redy's Deli. And no lunch at work. Ordering out very little. Cut snacks down to almost nothing but trail mix.

Still working, but only three days a week. So saving on gas and food.

Not traveling to any of my grandson's ball games. 

Conserving ammo, instead of going to the range once a week like I was before this all started.

Haven't taken a ride out to Utica to shed greenbacks in Bass Pro!

Feeling very lucky to be retired with a pension. My wife is working from home so no driving for her to visit doctors offices. The worst part of it all is that my wife loves to bake but typically has very little time for that. I’ve put on 7 pounds in the last three weeks! Cookies, breads and meals like we typically have once a week.

My routine has not been affected much, the biggest change is no eating out and no visits to our local breweries (except for curbside pickup). Still plenty of work to do around the land and with some decently dry weather I’ve mowed twice now. Getting the garden beds ready to plant soon but trying not to get in too early.

I'm still working ( Essential my A$$ ) but the wife no longer goes to supermarket every other day , now its once a week so saving some gas there . We usually go out to the movies once a week and also out to eat once a week but that's no more . Yeah we're saving but how much I'm clueless !  Of course the 401k dipped but its coming back !

Edited by GreeneHunter

Save only a tiny bit.  I get a free metro card from company but I would take the metro north several times a week so I saved there.  Wife saved one commute too.  I also use to grab breakfast every morning.  My lunches were always free.  Wife ate out for lunch but usually would just make a shake at home for breakfast.  Dinner, so many times we would be burned out at the end of the day that we would just order out pretty much 4 of the 5 days.  Even Saturday and Sunday mornings we'll go to the diner because we were just so tired.  That was the biggest savings there.  All this savings though doesn't off-set my lost in income.  Just slows the bleed.

Saving money on gas since I mostly keep the truck parked and drive my wife's small SUV. Saving money from not bowling anymore, we had 4 weeks left when this all hit. So far I haven't spent any money on golf, waiting to pay for my Monday night league until we know when we can start. At the May 15th mark that will be 4 weeks missed. I haven't paid for my season golf pass for the same reason but if the courses open May 15th honestly not much golf will have been missed. 

The biggest gain is family time. We are taking full advantage of the situation and doing some quality family time. Dinner and a movie night's, board games, card games, I'm teaching my 9 year old how to cook and do some house maintenance. Heck even my daughters are having sister bonding time unforced by us!

• Like 3