Ok guys and gals so how was your archery season?

rob-c

Well here in 8y we had a very slow season ,  I think the contributing factors were - the warm weather, virtually no rutting activity  witnessed because of the standing corn which the farmer still has not cut yet. 

Pulled some s/d cards Saturday after morning gun hunt and we had one buck on camera with its nose to the ground ( 6 weeks these cards were left out )  I fully truly believe the doe were held up in the corn all season and still are. I have witnessed 3 different sits where the deer would come out of the corn mill around for some time and go right back in.  So I believe our rutting activity happened in our corn fields.we lease 300 acres with 130 of it is wooded. 

Myself, wife and son all had shot opertunitys at smaller bucks so we could have filled our  tags .not saying our archery season was a bust but it was a wiered season no doubt .  So how was your archery season ? and are you going to get out for late archery ? 

Edited by rob-c

Well, I have had better.....I was out every weekend since the opening and took Tuesday and Thursday off the week before rifle. I passed on several doe and some small bucks. 3 times I laid eyes on bucks I would have shot but never came in range. It seemed as though it got slower as the season progressed which isn't something I ever remember happening with my last week being the worst. I didn't witness any rut activity like I had in previous years. All and all a slow uneventful but enjoyable season. That slow spell is spilling into gun season which is starting to frustrate me a little but that is why it is called hunting. I have never hunted late archery. I am usually hunted out by the end of rifle. 

Started fair and got progressively worse in terms of opportunities (my toughest year since my first year hunting) BUT, it was still fun (although frustrating) and a learning experience.  PLUS, I was finally able to meet my friend Grampy in person and hunt with him which is the highlight of the year so I will still grade it an "A" with no wall hanger or archery doe to show for it. 

Somehow I knew early on that this would be a year that I would be educated on perseverance and patience.  I am learning or trying to keep it fun anyways.  The big bucks were still around, just not where I sat.  lol

• Like 1

It was a great season. Got some early doe in the freezer and was able to hunt for a big boy.  I passed on A few smaller bucks and a busted up 8. Got close to a couple of real nice ones but couldn't seal the deal.  First year I have ever been able to do that.  Usually I take a 4,5,6,7 point . I kept a log and in the stand i saw 104 deer.  Was a good season enjoyed it a bunch.  Never have gotten a real big wall mounter but had the opportunity to try and got with in 70 yards twice. And still have venison in the freezer and gained a new spot as well for next year. Already looking forward to 2018.

• Like 1

All my hunting was in 3G. I started hunting at age 39 (four years ago) and this was my best season to date. I was fortunate to harvest my fourth buck (none record books but all trophies to me) and first doe this season. I believe I saw deer on all but two or three sits. I finally feel like I am getting the hang of it (all self taught) and also realize I have so much more to learn.

Trail cams and off season scouting helped but most importantly many thanks to all the people who post on here. It is very helpful for the new hunters to be able to learn, particularly those like me that got a late start on hunting and lacked a mentor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Mine was a mixed bag. I saw some nice bucks but got no shots. I couldnt even get a doe in range towards the end when the temps were great for hanging one. It felt a little like a cat and mouse game with this one buck,i almost snuck up on him Friday before the gun opener. But omly almost. He did walk past me at 30 yds on Ssturday first thing and I got him then.

This was only my third season with the bow and I am learning stuff every year.

I am giving this season an 8 out of 10 rating,even though I harvested nuttin.

4F,Cooperstown area

Edited by BowmanMike
  • Like 1

Strange one . 13 deer opening morning , 5 bucks . Hunted lightly till end of Oct. and saw fewer deer ever in my 28 or 29 years of bowhunting that spot .

Noramlly if I go 2 sits without seeing something somewhere it's odd this year I'd go 4 or 5 and only see a couple when I did .

Im thinking they knew I bought a crossbow , and hightailed it out of there !!!

Edited by Stay at home Nomad

Mine was great even though I did not hunt/Some of my Buddy's and Family was able to take a few nothing big but very tasteful.Just being having the fun with them was awesome.Biggest taken so far was my Stepsons 8pt and my nephews little 6pt. Makes me proud to be part of the hunt just helping them.Mountain Beef is the best

It was good. After busting my ass hard and often in 2015 and 2016 seasons for one deer each, in this case I had two deer on the same morning back in October, then took a couple weeks off, took my crossbow out when crossbow season started, first day a bust due to wrong tree, second day got another deer. This has let me very comfortably (although still a little guilt to be honest) sit this past weekend indoors waiting for a break in the weather. i want another deer.

I don't know how long I can use this property for so I'm making the best of it while I can. For all I know next year it will be back to the heavily pressured public land.

• Like 1

Bow season was great for me in 3F. Tons of deer cruising around on some new property I bought next to my ( small ) farm. Took  a meaty 5 pt buck and 3 plump does. The warm weather was a challenge. I cut my hunting pants off at the knee, and quartered the deer immediately to get them under refrigeration.  

The best part was getting the bulk of the deer harvest done early so I could concentrate on knocking down some pheasants and ducks, much to my dogs approval. 

Hoping to take my time and fill my last tag with a slammer of a 10 pt that walked up to me in the duck blind  

Im sorry some of you reported poor archery seasons, but I hope you still enjoyed your time afield. 

• Like 1

Mine was pretty much a bummer . I passed on 4 different 4 point bucks and might eat my buck tags but I felt okay about it at the time . I know there are bigger bucks out there and I would have shot a doe in a heart beat if the opportunity was there . I'll get over it .

Mine was good for quantity of bucks seen, but the quality just wasn't there for me this year. I was in the woods when the chase phase finally started, and it never gets old seeing and hearing the bucks running does all over.

I had one morning that was so cool and calm that I could hear the deer and a bear crunching up acorns just as plain as day. Not a bad season at all. I have had a lot worse on new land.

No such thing as a bad bow season for me. Whether I get anything or not it is my favorite time of the year. As far as productive it stunk, and the weather was not typical but it sure beats what I am having to go thru now :hunter-smiley-face:

Now I get to be in the woods and see no deer vs the 75 that I saw during bow season :o

• Like 3

Fantastic, got a doe opening morning. Was than able to hunt for a buck without having to worry about filling the freezer. Was able to take a really nice 9pt after passing on several bucks. I for the first time saw a buck breed a doe, it was another nice 9. I saw alot of deer during bow, more bucks than doe actually. There was a couple hundred acres of standing corn across the street also during all of bow. Great year, cant wait for October 1st 2018!

Rob, its funny how deer use corn in certain areas of the state. At my property in 8F they will hold up in the corn all day and come out after dark. At my camp in 8P we had corn a few times, (not much for AG) and the deer for the most part did not change their bedding habits, and would seek out the normal daily bedding areas rather than the corn. But would feed to the corn in the evenings.

For the fact of only getting out 4x with a bow, due to my young family, everyone getting sick and the work flow between myself and the Mrs.. Getting an opportunity at my giant #1 buck, and missing, passing up several small bucks and border line bucks and seeing deer each sit. I will say it was good. one doe within range could have made it better but, it was still a good season. 

Im going to keep the pressure off all of our property as much as possible after this week/weekend (sit once or twice) then get back at it when the focus is on the food source again.. 

Ultimately I harvested my 2nd biggest Buck to date with a bow so it ended on a high. I made a bad shot, but got lucky. Turns out my bow had taken a knock and was pulling way left. This must have contributed, but the shot was still somewhat rushed. A big lesson was learned as regards staying frosty and alert when known Bucks are cruising. Also, I need to check tuning more often.

I had passed on a few smaller Bucks, one was a 2 year old basket 8. Hope he makes it. The wind really did effect the over-all quality of hunting conditions quite negatively. Wind is the worst of all weather imho.

Season would have been better if I had taken off the days before I did, next year I will be off on the right days. It made sense when I back dated a fawn pic from 6/1, I was off by literally one day though I didn't know it until after the fact. It would be easier if my wife would work a second job and I retired at 38. lol

2 hours ago, LET EM GROW said:

Rob, its funny how deer use corn in certain areas of the state. At my property in 8F they will hold up in the corn all day and come out after dark. At my camp in 8P we had corn a few times, (not much for AG) and the deer for the most part did not change their bedding habits, and would seek out the normal daily bedding areas rather than the corn. But would feed to the corn in the evenings.

For the fact of only getting out 4x with a bow, due to my young family, everyone getting sick and the work flow between myself and the Mrs.. Getting an opportunity at my giant #1 buck, and missing, passing up several small bucks and border line bucks and seeing deer each sit. I will say it was good. one doe within range could have made it better but, it was still a good season. 

Im going to keep the pressure off all of our property as much as possible after this week/weekend (sit once or twice) then get back at it when the focus is on the food source again.. 

Grow I agree on the deer using the corn or not, the farmer had started cutting it finally so hoping by this weekend it is all cut and we see some activity..