How would you react to this situation? (Hunting permission)

regulat0r

There is a large abandon horse farm in my area that has been in foreclosure/ bank owned for many years. During that time, there was no hunting allowed. The property is 250 acres of wood lots and large fields.  A few weeks ago, I noticed cars at the house on the property. I drove up and saw that new owners had bought the property and were moving in. I introduced myself as I live just a few miles down the road. I asked if they allowed permission to bow hunt the property and they said that would be perfectly fine as they do not hunt and simply asked that I be careful. They also mentioned that they hired a "handyman" to do some work around the new house who they also gave permission to hunt. The owners mentioned that he lives just down the road and gave me his address. I decided to drive down there and introduce myself as well. I went there and introduced myself and explained my convo with the new owners. The guy said he "did not want me hunting there" I explained again that the OWNERS gave me permission and how I felt that 250 acres was more than enough for 2 people to hunt on. He got nasty and said he didn't want me to hunt it. I did not want to escalate the situation so I left. 

I really don't want to bother the new owners with this silly issue but I also don't want this guy to cause any trouble for me. I absolutely plan to hunt the property this year. I know where the guy will be hunting and I planned on being on the opposite side of the property. Should I just forget this clown and do my own thing? Is there anything else I should do?

That is more than enough land for 2 bow hunters, he is being stubborn.  That said I would probably not hunt the property if he is there but if it looked good he would not stop me.  Your choice just don't let him see you drag anything out in daylight or he will loose it lol. 

• Like 1

More than enough for both but being the handyman he has the upper hand with the new owners. Maybe try bringing the new owners a house warming gift and offer to post the land, maybe that will get you some credit so when Mr handyman complains which he will they disregard him and let you keep hunting. Just my 2 cents

• Like 6

I think we all would be slightly disappointed with having to share land with more hunters, but in the end of the day its not his land. He has no choice but to accept it, and when he finally comes to his senses he'll hopefully start to work with you so you guys benefit from each other. Good job in not escalating the situation, but he really doesn't have any authority over you.

• Like 2

Get your checkbook out. he does not have to because he pays in Labor. I would not bother with the place but before its over he will win because people are all about the all mighty dollar and he will save them many of those.

Money talks and you can bet that after you letting him know your hand he will be talking to them in the morning about revoking your Ok to hunt. Sad but you never should have said a word to that guy and just met up in the woods some day.

• Like 3

Get your checkbook out. he does not have to because he pays in Labor. I would not bother with the place but before its over he will win because people are all about the all mighty dollar and he will save them many of those.
Money talks and you can bet that after you letting him know your hand he will be talking to them in the morning about revoking your Ok to hunt. Sad but you never should have said a word to that guy and just met up in the woods some day.

The next handyman that saves me money will be the first. I'd hunt it, who does this guy think he is?! Hunt while he's working
  • Like 3

Tell him sorry pal new sheriff in town! Haha! But seriously, he can pound salt, hunt the hell out of that thing! I'd do my best to avoid the guy which you sound like your already planning to do. I'd also suggest maybe locking any tree stands, cameras and other gear you leave there. What's the parking situation like? Can you get in and out without him even knowing your there?

i bet if you offered them $500 a year - a real steal - that the handyman isnt going to be able to come up with that.  Just tell them youve always wanted to hunt there and would like to be able to help out with the taxes for your neighbor being so friendly to let you hunt there.  That even though you have permission would like to help them out but if paying would want to be only person to hunt there.  see ya handyman! 

Had an issue this weekend where i got permission to hunt a small 12 acre spot that I have been meaning to ask about for years.  Have known the owners for 25 years.  They said yes and I went out to look and there was a new treestand out there.  They werent too happy and found out it was a cousins wife brother in law and kicked them out cause they never asked. 

• Like 2

I agree with the cash offer or offering of some sort of service to them. I have sole permission on a 40 acre and 75 acre tracts behind my house. The old lady with the 40 appreciated that I had the courtesy to ask first and she saw my two little boys with me and thought they were the cutest and I drove it home when I told her it's all about taking the boys out hunting to get them outside. I've also mowed her lawn several times and asked numerous times if I can ever do anything for her. The farmer with the 75 acres also greatly appreciated me asking, but he likes it even more that I bring him 2500 pounds of corn every week for his cows. Saves him a lot of money in feed so he's really liking this arrangement. But what I'm trying to say is, get to know the land owners and see if you can figure out what they need or want and do what you can to fill that void. I'd suggest maybe starting out with an invite over to your place for dinner and drinks to welcome them to the "neighborhood" and get to know more about them.

• Like 4

I'm sorry, but there's one thing land owners hate, especially new owners, and that's someone else telling them what to do.  That's exactly what this handyman is trying to do without actually saying that to them.  

I'd be talking to the owners about the conversation. But offer to post the land of help mend some fencing. 

• Like 3

It's a tricky situation ,the handyman is going to try and paint a negative picture of you. Hopefully his temper comes out in front of them and you look like the better man . Another thought would be to get the new owners a gift certificate for a near by restaurant, kind of welcome to the neighborhood/thanks for letting me hunt gift . He kind of has an "in" on you already .

Edit: make sure to get in the question if they eat venison or not , that could also gain you some edge .

Edited by Jeremy K
  • Like 1

I totally agree with seeing what favor you can do for the landowners. And also agree the handyman sounds like a jerk,so hopefully in time the owners will figure that out. I would be patient for the long term goal of hunting that property. A friend and i have 300 acres to hunt on,and if we couldnt stand each other we would never see each other there...

So that you have no problems with this other hunter,( and you will) who also has permission - go back to the owners and ask them to authorize (sign) a small pocket size piece of paper (document) that states you have permission to hunt said property. Also let them know that you were being nice and introduced yourself to the other hunter and how it didn't do very well.  Ask them if there is any service that you could offer, maybe brush hog or help them mend fencing, etc. 

I can tell you this much - NON HUNTERS do not understand any of this!  They do not understand how incredibly important hunting access to property is to hunter. They just do not understand and they never will. 

Edited by nybuckboy

He was there first....  Nothing good is gonna come out of it.  He is the handy man who works for them.  You are the one that is gonna kicked out.  They are rich and will not care about your cheesy $500 offer for exclusive rights.  Move on and hunt somewhere else

• Like 1

Actually the last thing landowners want is to be refereeing hunters on their land .  

I see two choices I'd decide on . 1. Hunt it and see what happens, could be just him , he complains they say you have permission too. Now he either relents or your stuff goes missing .

2. Move on . 

So far by the time they moved in they have given permission to two hunters , pretty soon it'll be a every other hunter in the area.

Edited by Stay at home Nomad
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Stay at home Nomad said:

Actually the last thing landowners want is to be refereeing hunters on their land .  

I see two choices I'd decide on . 1. Hunt it and see what happens, could be just him , he complains they say you have permission too. Now he either relents or your stuff goes missing .

2. Move on . 

So far by the time they moved in they have given permission to two hunters , pretty soon it'll be a every other hunter in the area.

Thus is so true... pretty soon there will be other hunters with permission.  Are is what I wrote above.

NON HUNTERS do not understand any of this!  They do not understand how incredibly important hunting access to property is to hunter. They just do not understand and they never will.  Exclusive hunting permission is the only way to have hunting rights. Any other way turns into frustrating mess.

Edited by nybuckboy
  • Like 1

I would stop on by and get a bit more friendly with them. Then I would explain the situation just so they know whats going on. If he was that nasty I could see him mouthing off about you and killing the relationship with the owners. One thing you could do is stop by when he is there. Just to let them know you put up a stand in a certain area. Make sure he is in ear-shot and see what happens. That should clear the air real quick!

I would hunt it and see how it goes. Act courteous to the guy and especially the land owners. A nice thank you gift delivered to the land owners would be a great thing. I wouldn't start bothering them with asking to lease it or mentioning the other guys demeanor. They have enough to worry about right now and you're liable to lose permission simply because they don't want any headaches. Put cable locks on your stands with notes attached stating that it's your equipment. Maybe leave Trail cameras out of the picture for now. Don't forget to offer up some tasty venison to the land owners whether you kill a deer on their property or not. 

Good luck!

• Like 2