oapiastos88

Cold feet solution??

Recommended Posts

Hello guys, so I was curious what you guys do in order to keep your feet warm in the more brutal moths of the season where an all day stay is a must. Nothing cuts my stay short except cold feet ( or hands) Any specific brands of boots/socks you go with? Any layering systems ? Thanks guys

 

 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nothing too tight.  light sock liners and I use carhaart arctic or Vermont darn tough socks.  If its really cold, I will switch from mucks to Baffin (crazy warm).  Overlayering with lots of socks is worse IMO.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have found wearing light socks and good boots works best for me. Muck Arctic Pro is what I'm wearing when it turns really cold.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, moog5050 said:

Nothing too tight.  light sock liners and I use carhaart arctic or Vermont darn tough socks.  If its really cold, I will switch from mucks to Baffin (crazy warm).  Overlayering with lots of socks is worse IMO.

I agree. The heavier the socks or wearing multiple pairs,  the colder my feet get. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Don_C said:

I agree. The heavier the socks or wearing multiple pairs,  the colder my feet get. 

The baffins I can wear a single light pair of socks in frigid temps.  They are really warm but a bit large.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sweaty feet is what always got me chilled.  Took someone's suggestion last year and used antiperspirant on my feet, and it really made a difference.  Usually wear a good sport sock for wicking under a heavy sock for insulation.

 

These are my cold weather boots :

Irish Setter Men's 3888 Snow Claw XT Waterproof 2000 Gram 12" Extreme Cold Boot https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001F8E8CM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_w6LLDbZDW6GPD

  • Like 2

'08 Bowtech Commander

GoldTip Hunter Expedition's w/ Rage 2 Blades

Remington 700 .308

Mossberg 500 Pump

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Start off with dry feet ! I no longer shower just before going , or if I do I use a blow drier on my feet . Other wise they’re still damp especially between the toes . Couldn’t figure out why my socks were always damp , till I adjusted my routine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Things add up....

Smoking (nicotine) and caffeine are both vasoconstrictors, which reduce you blood flow to your extremities....don't overdo the coffee, chocolate, etc. before you go out. Make sure your boots arent ight. As already mentioned, keep em dry, and avoid cotton like the plague...its absorbent, but like a sponge, it holds moisture (including sweat) which will chill you. I love merino wool socks, and wear them year round. For hunting, I get heavier cold weather socks (might be expensive, but get a few pairs and save them, they last a long time). The warmest boots I ever had were a pair of the Cabelas 2000 gram rubber boots.  They are absoluetly water proof and with the wool socks, warm for me all season. Because they are rubber, they don't breath, so plan on changing your socks several times a day.

Last, be sure to cover up your head and neck. Heat lost there will also be felt at your feet. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A warm hat and face mask help a lot.  As does staying out of the wind.   When the body looses temperature, the hands and feet are always the first places that loose circulation and temperature first.  What type of boot you have on don't matter much if your core looses too much temperature.    I never had a problem, on the coldest days, all day long if necessary, wearing standard army, black "mickey-mouse" boots that can be had for about $ 80 a pair new or $ 40 surplus.   Why anyone would feel the need to spend more than that on winter hunting boots is beyond my understanding.   The mickey mouse boots are also waterproof, but are not all that high.  They really are not all that clumsy for hunting in, but they are kind of goofy looking.  I think that is what prevents more widespread usage by hunters.      

To keep warm, I love a thermos of hot cider.  Besides boosting my body temperature, deer are very attracted to the scent.  Last season, a hefty 3.5 year old buck came in from down-wind, just after I finished a cup of hot cider on two consecutive hunts.  He probably would have done it again had he survived the second encounter.  Coffee might also keep you warm, but it's scent means "danger" to deer and will drive them to the next county.   A muff with a chemical hand-warmer is another good way to boost your body core temperature.   The warm blood from your hands eventually gets to your feet.      

Edited by wolc123

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Daveboone said:

Things add up....

Smoking (nicotine) and caffeine are both vasoconstrictors, which reduce you blood flow to your extremities....don't overdo the coffee, chocolate, etc. before you go out. Make sure your boots arent ight. As already mentioned, keep em dry, and avoid cotton like the plague...its absorbent, but like a sponge, it holds moisture (including sweat) which will chill you. I love merino wool socks, and wear them year round. For hunting, I get heavier cold weather socks (might be expensive, but get a few pairs and save them, they last a long time). The warmest boots I ever had were a pair of the Cabelas 2000 gram rubber boots.  They are absoluetly water proof and with the wool socks, warm for me all season. Because they are rubber, they don't breath, so plan on changing your socks several times a day.

Last, be sure to cover up your head and neck. Heat lost there will also be felt at your feet. 

This is a great post!! If your choice of boots are rubber and a long walk is in order a change of socks is always a good thing to have in your pack. Eating before going out in the stand will also bring your body temp down. I drink coffee every morning I get up to go to work. When I hunt I never have coffee or  anything to eat until the sun comes up and I know I'm comfortable in the stand. 

 

No joke Baffin Boots are the real deal. Expensive but well worth it! 

 

Cheers,

 

Jsin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My feet stay warm mostly and I swear it’s due to wearing compression stockings. I wear these and a pair of heavy warm socks on the outside. Usually pretty warm. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My toes always get cold during real cold temps no matter what i try. So i just deal with it:unsure:. ive tried liner socks with wool over them, just wool, lighter socks. My feet sweat to much no matter which i choose. Im only walking maybe 1000 yards when hunting in my backyard. If i switch socks when i get to the stand that might be the ticket...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I used to use Muck Arctic Sport boots but they blew out. even those with all the rubber over your whole foot seemed like they got cold eventually if the temps were really low.

i wear a single pair of wool socks. can't be a tight fit. i don't even know what the name of the ones i have now are for later season. they're leather on top with a sole underneath. at least 800 grams of thinsulate insulation and waterproof. pretty heavy though. they keep my feet warm for a while. been meaning to pick up a heavier pair of boots to replace the mucks but i've gotten away with the others just fine despite they aren't very comfortable. if i was doing a big woods hunt i'd be shopping.


---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Upper Hudson River Valley QDMA

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/3/2019 at 7:15 PM, wolc123 said:

To keep warm, I love a thermos of hot cider.  Besides boosting my body temperature, deer are very attracted to the scent.  Last season, a hefty 3.5 year old buck came in from down-wind, just after I finished a cup of hot cider on two consecutive hunts.  He probably would have done it again had he survived the second encounter. 

I tried that once, and only once. 

Barely had enough time to drop my drawers.  It wasn't pretty.  Lol

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use light regular white sock and a medium weight sock and my mickey mouse military boots.  Best boots ive ever owned i just wont use them if im walking all day since they way a ton. But on stand they are great.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.amazon.com/HotHands-Insole-Foot-Warmers-Activated/dp/B001UQXAT6/ref=asc_df_B001UQXAT6/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=309812359670&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=10020818537231297439&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9005660&hvtargid=pla-423079746903&psc=1

I put them in my 1000 gram boots. Nice merino wool sock. and good for the day. Actually too warm if you are walking. I typically don't drop them in right away.  if my feet start to get a tad cold I put them in and they heat right up. I use the hand warmers in a hand muff and since doing that I have yet to get a hunt cut short from cold hands or feet. 


"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -- Benjamin Franklin

"The trouble with Socialism is, sooner or later you run out of other people's money." - Margaret Thatcher

"When you subsidize poverty and failure, you get more of both.." - James Dale Davidson, National Taxpayers Union

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If your feet sweat a lot the first layer should be polypropylene socks. They wick the moisture from your feet into the wool or whatever you are wearing helping your feet to keep dry and warm. I own several pair so I can switch them out often. Reasonably priced and easy to find. An example:

https://www.amazon.com/Black-Polypropylene-Genuine-Sock-Liner/dp/B000AN47W4/ref=asc_df_B000AN47W4/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312723006859&hvpos=1o2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=3998817920392392877&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9005667&hvtargid=pla-762242820392&psc=1

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can't beat a a Sorrel type boot with felt insoles with a poly sock and good wool sock.

 


A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Best boots I have found are Cabelas Comfort Trac 2000.  Wear nothing but a regular pair of tube socks.  Always carry and extra pair in my backpack in case they are needed but for the most part they stay warm.  Threw the 2nd pair of socks on last year the day after Thanksgiving at around noon.  The high that day was ion the single digits.  This is the 2nd pair of these I have owned and wont be the last when they need to be replaced

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/3/2019 at 4:03 PM, oapiastos88 said:

 

Hello guys, so I was curious what you guys do in order to keep your feet warm in the more brutal moths of the season where an all day stay is a must. Nothing cuts my stay short except cold feet ( or hands) Any specific brands of boots/socks you go with? Any layering systems ? Thanks guys

 

 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

 

I Start walking .

Edited by Hunter007

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The real reason your feet get cold is because your body limits blood flow to them to maintain your core temperature , try putting a sore muscle heat patch over your kidney area and see the difference it makes . They sell heated vest specifically for keeping heat on your core .    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.