What Was Your Biggest Disappointment This Season?

squirrelwhisperer

My biggest disappointment thus far, seeing as how my season hasn't ended yet, would have to be passing on the many deer earlier that I would love to take now. We all heard the saying, "don't pass something on the first day of the trip that you would take on the last day." That's me now. So many nice deer that I let walk that I would love to have taken at this point. I really have to learn to be less picky. Runner up moment would have to be a deflected arrow shot at a nice mature doe. How about you?

2 minutes ago, squirrelwhisperer said:

My biggest disappointment thus far, seeing as how my season hasn't ended yet, would have to be passing on the many deer earlier that I would love to take now. We all heard the saying, "don't pass something on the first day of the trip that you would take on the last day." That's me now. So many nice deer that I let walk that I would love to have taken at this point. I really have to learn to be less picky. Runner up moment would have to be a deflected arrow shot at a nice mature doe. How about you?

The ones you passed will be even nicer next year if they make it through. Don't be disappointed in that. Some of my best memories are of the ones I didn't shoot. 

My biggest disappointment is only going 5 for 8 with the Field to Fork program. I would have liked to see them all get their first deer. 

• Like 6

Biggest disappointment was my dad wasn't able to hunt this year and I did not get to spend time in the woods with him. Also, didn't get to spend as much time in the woods as I would have liked due to family and work obligations. However I will say that watching my daughter in sports was as enjoyable as being in the woods, so I guess not really a disappointment.

If only that monster buck my grandson and I saw in the cut, had stayed in it for two more seconds!!!! Grandson was on him, and rock steady, as he was running diagonally towards us, down the cut 150 yards away. He had my Sako on a tripod, and as the buck came running a doe over the top, I calmly told him, " there he is, slip your safety off buddy, get on him, I'll try to stop him". The buck covered 50 yards in a flash, hard quartering to us. "You on him Zach"?... "Yeah"... "As soon as he turns, or stops..shoot"! ... BAAHHH... The buck took a hard turn to his left, and was out of the cut and gone...... Just two more seconds!!! I was going to give Zach the go, on the quartering to shot, after one more second, weather the buck stopped or not. He said he was right on the front shoulder, before the buck took the hard turn too. 

Before this, we had this same buck at 214 yards standing broadside at the top of the bank, but skylighted with no backstop. A miss, or pass through would have sent the bullet down into the park. I rightly called off that shot. We hung in there for three more hours on a bitter cold morning and never saw the buck again.

Just two more seconds!

20191129_073458.thumb.jpg.a6f3aecac5284b6b39d74618caf85e23.jpgPicture from that morning. The time spent together was still priceless. 

Edited by grampy
  • Like 5

For me it would be killing the only mature doe for miles around my folks place, 1/2 hour into gun season, rather than the button buck that I wanted.    The end result of that was an un-punched gun-season buck tag for me, and no more deer sightings for the rest of gun season.   I had seen antlered bucks on every hunt there prior to that, but they all vacated the property when the old doe was gone.    Hopefully, another mature doe or two moves in this year.  

Hurting my back dragging a buck out was a disappointment. Toughed it out on a short stand a few days later and physically couldn't take it any longer and spent the next few days after that in bed. The buck that had been torturing us for years showed up there less than 90 minutes after I left that short stand and would have been a very easy to make shot. He was killed later in firearms season. Deer like that have only come around once every 5 years or so for me and I can still count on one-hand bucks of that caliber that I've had the opportunity to chase.

Outside of that I have much to be appreciative and thankful for. I still managed to shoot some nice deer as did my hunting partner. I will focus on that long-term.

• Sad 1

Not too much...I always like to shoot my deer as late in the season as possible to spend as much time in the woods as possible. This year I tagged out 6 days early, only a mild bummer. 

I hadn't checked my game camera in about 3 weeks and didn't until the day after I tagged out. At that time, I found out there were still four different bucks...all bigger than mine....still running around. I would have held off a few more days at least if I had known that, but am happy with my spike. He tastes just fine!

In ~15 bow seasons and almost a dozen deer harvested I'd never wounded and lost a deer. I can't say the same after this year. Thankfully it was low brisket and she is ok as verified by jumping her and then pics of her later in the year. But that was something I was really proud of that I can no longer say.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

My biggest disappointment is only going 5 for 8 with the Field to Fork program. I would have liked to see them all get their first

I understand your feelings on this, but thats still above the  state wide success for gun hunters  ,and I’d imagine way above for first time hunters 5/8 is a win  . I know a guy who after five years, just got his first deer ,a doe . Now between working for the  FD, being in the reserves, two pre school kids, and not having a spot of his own , I think he’s on the path most of us took .

For me my daughter not hunting much .

Along with not shooting this buck, two crooked brows, and I think 11 points . He was standing maybe 60 yards from me , head on in an open field, I had the crosshairs on him . That field I’ve killed many deer in over the years , once the man died who, owned it, the woman doesn’t want me to hunt her field any more . He was a stones throw from my land too . I can’t say I’d not take that shot if presented to me again .

CFFDB61B-5860-4E65-8B4E-FC8AF8D68795.png

• Like 1

I wasn't feeling well and not sleeping much. We took the week off before gun to bow hunt and stayed until that following Monday. I managed to shoot a 7 pt with bow and a beautiful 9 pt with gun in that week span. I just didn't feel it and was robbed of that excitement when you score. Other than that all good.

Well i have no complaints, seen plenty of deer, put 3 in the freezer. My goal was to get 4 this year (4 is a good # of deer to have based on vension use for my family). Not for the lack of seeing deer, but i  held off shots on mature does and let young bucks walk with hopes to get a mature doe in the late season. I botched that plan up, had 7 doe around me for the ML and missed on a chip shot.  All in all, im very happy and blessed. My biggest disappointment was not taking another  mature doe with the rifle, had plenty of opportunities. 

1 hour ago, Swamp_bucks said:

My godsons not behaving in school so i couldnt take them hunting(there dad and me layed down ground rules they failed to follow). 2nd would be not putting myself in spots to see more big deer during bow.  Biggest buck i saw was a small basket 7.

Glad you stuck to your rules and consiquences for their actions. Too little of that now a days.

I can say when I was young I certainly gave my parents hell. During my teen years my father and I fought about everthing and didn't  see eye to eye on nothing, however hunting and fishing always seemed to bring some peace between both of us. I am greatful he never used those 2 things as leverage.

Now 25+ years later we are like best friends. My biggest disappointment this year would be my fathers inability to get out in the woods with me. He still hunts but close to the house instead of deep in the woods chasing them like we use to.

Just wasn't the same this year.

I’d have to say [mention=871]Biz-R-OWorld[/mention] not getting a deer when he came to visit. I’d like him to shoot a nice WNY buck so we all can here about it for the next 5 years lol... In all seriousness the visits are fun but 2 years now we had him in our best stand and can’t get him to punch the tag. Hopefully 2020 is the year. 

Thanks, Jay! I always have fun and zero disappointment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

31 minutes ago, Just Lucky said:

Glad you stuck to your rules and consiquences for their actions. Too little of that now a days.

I can say when I was young I certainly gave my parents hell. During my teen years my father and I fought about everthing and didn't  see eye to eye on nothing, however hunting and fishing always seemed to bring some peace between both of us. I am greatful he never used those 2 things as leverage.

Now 25+ years later we are like best friends. My biggest disappointment this year would be my fathers inability to get out in the woods with me. He still hunts but close to the house instead of deep in the woods chasing them like we use to.

Just wasn't the same this year.

We made it simple.  If they arent responsible enough to keep a b average and no fights or detention in school.  They arent responsible enough to take an animals life.  I will give them credit they took the punishment like they needed to.  Since then they are both b+ averages.  We just want them to know as much as hunting means to all of them and us there are things that come first.  It was the same rules for me and their father growing up to hunt on each others family properties.

• Like 3

I'm pretty impressed by the 'disappointments' a lot of guys are listing.  Failure to put a friend, family member or first time hunter on a deer, missing out because a quality shot never presented, concern and follow through on bad shots.  While those things are disappointing it really speaks to the integrity of you as hunters.  Nice to see so many that care so much about the sport and setting good examples. 

• Like 2