Said goodbye to my Buddy yesterday.

Otto

We said goodbye to Buddy yesterday, my 13.5 year old brittany. He was doing pretty good for an old man, but the last week he was definitely struggling and we knew it was time.

Buddy was my "rebound" dog. I had lost my first brittany Otto on my birthday in March when he was hit by a car in front of our house. Everyone at work knew how much I loved Otto, so within 2 weeks they bought me a dog from the same breeder. I wanted to name him Otto 2, but my kids could not see the humor of that, so we stayed with the name the breeder called all his puppies regardless of sex. Buddy stuck and I was hunting over him the next week.

My favorite Buddy story was when I went to Minnesota to hunt pheasants with my friend Jason and his family. Day 1, Buddy "ran big", sometimes over a half a mile away. But he also hunted close and pointed quite a few birds and even retrieved his share. One bird was in a drainage ditch with matted down and tall weeds on both sides. Buddy pointed it, and the bird would move, unseen by us hunters, and Buddy would repoint the bird in the new location. That's a big deal in pointing dog abilites and at the time he was only 10 months old. Finally we were able to get the bird airborne and it was shot out of the sky and dropped right into the drainage ditch. The bird is floating away, I'm yelling BIRD DOWN, and Buddy jumps into the ditch, goes completely underwater, and comes up under the pheasant like a shark, grabs the bird while jumping out of the water, bird still in his mouth, shakes himself dry and sits down. As soon as I take the bird out he is off and running looking for his next victim.

Many more stories with Buddy of course, it will be hard to go home from work tonight without him to greet me at the door.

1621d58ea396a728144bd0effc5b0d68.jpg76f942cab5e1a094867ab489f190d290.jpgfebe7a9c4397992c2e4492494f29cea6.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Sad 10

36 minutes ago, Otto said:

We said goodbye to Buddy yesterday, my 13.5 year old brittany. He was doing pretty good for an old man, but the last week he was definitely struggling and we knew it was time.

Buddy was my "rebound" dog. I had lost my first brittany Otto on my birthday in March when he was hit by a car in front of our house. Everyone at work knew how much I loved Otto, so within 2 weeks they bought me a dog from the same breeder. I wanted to name him Otto 2, but my kids could not see the humor of that, so we stayed with the name the breeder called all his puppies regardless of sex. Buddy stuck and I was hunting over him the next week.

My favorite Buddy story was when I went to Minnesota to hunt pheasants with my friend Jason and his family. Day 1, Buddy "ran big", sometimes over a half a mile away. But he also hunted close and pointed quite a few birds and even retrieved his share. One bird was in a drainage ditch with matted down and tall weeds on both sides. Buddy pointed it, and the bird would move, unseen by us hunters, and Buddy would repoint the bird in the new location. That's a big deal in pointing dog abilites and at the time he was only 10 months old. Finally we were able to get the bird airborne and it was shot out of the sky and dropped right into the drainage ditch. The bird is floating away, I'm yelling BIRD DOWN, and Buddy jumps into the ditch, goes completely underwater, and comes up under the pheasant like a shark, grabs the bird while jumping out of the water, bird still in his mouth, shakes himself dry and sits down. As soon as I take the bird out he is off and running looking for his next victim.

Many more stories with Buddy of course, it will be hard to go home from work tonight without him to greet me at the door.

1621d58ea396a728144bd0effc5b0d68.jpg76f942cab5e1a094867ab489f190d290.jpgfebe7a9c4397992c2e4492494f29cea6.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

im extremely sorry to read this 

I know your loss so well.  I'm always swearing when it happens I'll never get another dog as it tears my heart out when they leave.  Yet I always do

It's the true friend that always happy to come and greet you at the door.  The being by my side.  That's the hook that gets me.

Very sorry for your loss.

Otto I am so sad to hear of your loss. Unfortunately I share a similar story with you. When I was a young man of 16 years and in high school my dad asked me what I wanted for a birthday present. I told him I wanted a bird dog as there were plenty of pheasants here in the Finger Lakes region. My dad got me a male Brittany pup I named Rex. He was 6 weeks old. At 8 weeks he was pointing butterflies in our yard. He grew up to be a great pheasant and woodcock dog. He had an unusual ability to climb out of my chain link kennel and we had to fence over the top of the kennel to keep him in. He was a gentle loving dog and a hard hunter. I got him on my 16th birthday and found him dead in the kennel exactly 13 years later on my 29th birthday. I never got another bird dog after him and I sure do miss him to this day.     valoroutdoors.com 

bd2160c3d4fc1ce8f46dded04ee5aecb.jpg

• Like 1